Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Colt I purchased from Burt Reynolds
Just bought this Patton Commemorative from the recent Burt Reynolds house cleaning auction:

35 caliber, 4.75" barrel, S/N 322088. Engraved with carved grips and the initials GSP enameled. Lanyard ring in the bottom of the grip strap. It is not the Uberti replica gun you see all over and I believe about 2500 were made around 1950.
PROVENANCE From the Collection of Burt Reynolds

I have a few questions and appreciate your expertise:

Can anyone tell me how many of these guns were made, and how many are .35 caliber or is it really a 45?
Any suggestions on its value?
Any suggestions on the best place to get ammunition for it?
Does the fact that a famous person owned it add much premium?

·
Registered
255 Posts
I just read about the Burt Reynolds auction today. I was wondering what guns he had thanks for sharing this one. Sorry that I am not much help, just expressing my appreciation for your new gun.

·
Premium Member
19,604 Posts
Some of those guns were made by Franklin Mint and they are not real guns. They cannot be loaded or fired.
Look in the cylinder and see if it is drilled all the way through. That picture looks like the replica model the FM
made and sold to many, many people.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All, thanks for the posts. It has not been shipped to me yet and the auction posts did not have a barrel shot. I don't think its franklin mint based on the serial number. Heck yes I am going to shoot it -- unless it's never been fired...If anyone wants to see all the guns Burt sold google Julien's Auctions. I bet he sold 20 guns and some prop guns.Plan post more info after I receive it.

·
Registered
941 Posts
All, thanks for the posts. It has not been shipped to me yet and the auction posts did not have a barrel shot. I don't think its franklin mint based on the serial number. Heck yes I am going to shoot it -- unless it's never been fired...If anyone wants to see all the guns Burt sold google Julien's Auctions. I bet he sold 20 guns and some prop guns.Plan post more info after I receive it.
If it is being shipped directly to you and NOT through a FFL, it is not a real firearm.

Patton's SAA was chambered in .45 Colt.

Patton had only been dead 5 years in 1950. Commemorative firearms didn't appear until the 1960s.

·
Registered
497 Posts
If it is being shipped directly to you and NOT through a FFL, it is not a real firearm.

Patton's SAA was chambered in .45 Colt.

Patton had only been dead 5 years in 1950. Commemorative firearms didn't appear until the 1960s.
Depending on the price paid, that would really suck.

·
Premium Member
19,604 Posts
As I recall, that serial number is the actual SN of Patton's gun. The only "near gun" that was made
using that SN was the Franklin Mint guns and all had that same serial number. I am betting it is
a replica that is made from castings that was not made to be fired and can't be modified to fire.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Reactions: Bk2bay6 and tjmolil

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
if you click the link to the auction listing then enlarge the picture you will see that it is clearly marked .45 caliber

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Looking at the pictures on the auction site it looks like a non-firing reproduction. Look at where the forcing cone meets the cylinder. What's that metal entering the cylinder. Or is it just a bad pic? For a 1st gen in that condition to bring only 1500-2500, I don't think so.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
This particular lot# was listed in the Reynolds auction catalog with the other firearms requiring an FFL (as opposed to the non-firing props). As mentioned above, looking at it in the catalog something about the base pin, bushing, and forcing cone area does not look right to be an actual Colt.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts