Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been discussed ad nauseam on the internet but after much research I'm still not sure that i'm clear on a proper protocol here. I would like to bury some of my guns during the hurricane season so that if I have to bug out again there's less I have to haul with me. I need something that's water tight in case there's storm surge. The best I've come up with so far is creating burial tubes using 6" PVC and caps. Still not clear if I should fill them with synthetic motor oil or not. Some suggest greasing them up and putting them in vacuum sealed bags. Keep in mind this is Florida so it's a hot, humid, and damp environment. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wonder though, are they any better than making your own out of PVC? Also, I recently bought a Pelican Case knockoff on Amazon called the "Seahorse". Threw some test docs in and some weights and threw it in the pool for most of the day, no water. My main question is how to store the guns if you're burying them. Do you just grease them up, grease and vacuum seal, or fill the case up with oil and let them swim submerged in oil.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Are we talking long guns and handguns with with wood stocks? For sure that would rule out filling the case with oil. How about waxing them up with Renaissance wax? A member here graciously sent me a can a few weeks ago and I have been waxing mine. I don't have any experience in this and don't claim to know how air tight PVC would keep things dry or not. There must be a better way. You gonna dig up a gun every time you want to use it? Awhile back I suggested some outfit could make a killing if they made a heavy plastic tent that you could zip over your gun safe to a piece of plastic under the safe. Hell, why not some for your vehicle`s too? No water damage after the flood if good ones were engineered. I bet insurance company's would either issue them or give you a discount of the cost of the bags or car tents in Hurricane areas once they were proven and popular.

·
Premium Member
3,586 Posts
BB.

I've had an AR buried at a farm since 2004.
There it will stay until needed or a my son finds out where when I die.

In a SHTF (Shiiit Hits The Fan) scenario it's about having a retrievable and usable firearm and ammo.

A rifle/handgun coated with nothing more than gun oil placed in a large diameter tube fitted with a threaded cap with a wrap of Teflon and Vaseline to seal around the closed gaps, buried below the frost line will keep the firearm serviceable in our lifetime.

I have no idea the condition of that AR. It went in, sealed it tight and buried 45 inches deep horizontally.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Wooden stocks would definitely rule out the oil. I would think PVC would sweat with temperature changes, unless you bury the tubes 5' or more underground. The only thing I can think of is a heavy wax job, fit the tubes with a schrader valve (like an inner tube), and pull as much vacuum on the tube as possible. An HVAC vacuum pump would do the job. I don't know what inert gases (say, Argon) would do to a gun finish.
I think I would test my gear before I tried it with anything of value.

·
Registered
11,352 Posts
Make your own containers out of PVC. Use. cap on one end and a threaded plug on the other. Spray the guns down with LPS3 for protection. The LPS3 has a wax base and is probably the best you cold use for rust prevention. Finger rubbing wax on them just won't work to get in all the nooks and crannies. A desiccant would work in the tubes as long as it is isolated from touching the guns. It will take up any moisture sealed in the tube and hold it until the tube is opened.

http://www.lpslabs.com/products?id=6

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
The home-made PVC burial trick works...if you do it right...under the right conditions. ( ie...not in a flood plain )

1st...purchase the length and width of the PVC tube and end caps required to fit your firearm...

2nd...purchase the BLUGUARD ( Formerly ZCORR ) thin VCI zip lock bags the military uses to long term store their small arms weapons...as do I.

Purchase here: https://www.bluguardvci.com/shop//

3rd...DO NOT FILL THE PVC BURIAL UNIT WITH OIL...( what the hell ya thinkin' !!?? )...on the contrary...wipe most if not all the oil / grease OFF the firearm so that the VCI { Volatile Corrosion Inhibitor } bags can do their job.

This is what I long term store all my weapons in...and yes...at 333 feet above sea level...I'm not too worried about tidal surge.

BTW...
Both my gun safes are in the basement are on concrete pads 1 foot off the floor...should the washer overflow or a pipe burst...but even then...it must get through the concrete sealed brick and cinder block wall and dead bolted steel door that separates the safes from that mess...and defeat the sump pump which is automatically triggered to remove moisture once the water reaches a particular level...on a down sloping floor graded toward the back door...away from the front of the basement where the safe room resides.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
I'm glad I'm in the desert. I met a guy that found a 1849 Colt out in the desert, where it had been lost 140 years ago. It still had wood grips, and probably could have been used with some major cleanup. And it was exposed, out in the air, for all those years. Another friend found a 1851 colt Navy in the wall of a house. Been there over 100 years, and was in like new condition. I was a scuba wreck diver years ago. Anything that is in wet conditions or underwater doesn't have much of a chance.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Never heard and never had a safe deposit box at a bank and used that discreetly to keep guns? At least for those of us that don't have 150 guns :) Might be a good short term alternative to burying them if it's just for a storm or similar situation.
Jim

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Safe deposit box is a bad idea. Is your bank open on Sunday? Safe deposit boxes aren't safe from the government, ever.

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I'm thinking more along the lines of handguns. And I would take off the grips. I'm still not clear on why keeping the guns submersed in oil is a bad idea, I'm hoping somebody can explain that to me.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
I was traveling back and forth from California to Wisconsin a lot trying to take care of my dad who was in assisted living and my home in California both driving and flying. We put a few family handguns in a safety deposit box and that worked well.
You need a dry place to store your guns. Soaking them in oil is going to be a BIG job cleaning them up and will be a huge job if it`s over one or two guns. Plastic air tight bags or containers would still be the best answer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just a thought for consideration for those thinking of using a sealed PVC pipe for gun storage. I would think this would be very buoyant and could possibly pop out of the ground when ground water rises. I have seen cemeteries give up their dead during floods. I would hate to see anyone's guns float away. Make sure they stay where you put them.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Just a thought for concideration for those thinking of using a sealed PVC pipe for gun storage. I would think this would be very buoyant and could possibly pop out of the ground when ground water rises. I have seen cemeteries give up their dead during floods. I would hate to see anyones guns float away. Make sure they stay where you put them.

How much would that suck ��

Jim

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
I like Zcorr vacuum sealed bags, might be called Blu-Guard now. Anyway, if you do some research you might decide to get some.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
This is an interesting thread. As I watched the news showing the lines of cars getting out of Florida the first thought I had was “what are they doing with their guns”? I was a construction plumber for 40 years and the thought of using PVC pipe to store guns and ammo crossed my mind. First of all, it will take a pretty large diameter pipe to house a scoped rifle and the larger the pipe and fitting the harder it will be to get it water tight – especially for the do it yourselfer. I had considered that tapping the threaded plug and installing a small diameter valve and then pulling a vacuum like you would on an AC unit to eliminate the moisture might work. I know that I’m happy to be living in hurricane free Missouri.

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
I'm not sure I'd want to use PVC like available at Home Depot or Lowe's. That stuff is generally light duty and can't carry too much weight without cracking. If you bury it and enough soil weight, gravel or whatever you put over it can compact and over stress it. Homeowner grade PVC is designed to flow fluids through it, not withstand a lot of external pressure. Get stuff strong enough or spefically made for the purpose.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts