Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I was watching this Colt Model 1917 on GB, and when I saw what it sold for, I was stunned!

Custom Colt Model 1917 Cut Down Snubby .45 acp. - Revolvers at GunBroker.com : 888484493
Buy Custom Colt Model 1917 Cut Down Snubby .45 acp.: GunBroker is the largest seller of Revolvers Pistols Guns & Firearms All: 888484493
www.gunbroker.com

It's a badly butchered M1917:
Barrel cut off
Refinished
Non-original grips
Non-original sights
Polished trigger & "jeweled" hammer.

$2750??? Seriously??? Unless it belonged to John Dillinger or something, I'm just not feelin' it! I have a lettered, unmolested M1917 in VG to Excellent condition, and I consider it about a $700-$800 gun. Can I spend a couple hundred bucks, Bubba it up, and increase its value by a couple grand??? 馃槣

Anybody seeing something I'm missing here?

Registered
There are plenty of people, myself included, who would be excited to own a tastefully modified snub nose M1917 (that one is borderline-I don't like the sights), and would bid on one already so altered rather than ever contemplate butchering one, but I can't explain that price. It's just stupid.

Registered
The sights are what bother me. It's already a messed up gun to the rest can be fixed. That front sight is just awful.
For $2750, the seller should be dancing in the streets and buying the house a round!

Premium Member
I must admit I'm not drawn to it and certainly, though a good deal of work was involved, don't understand the price. That being said, I do like a large frame "snubby" and looked for a long time for one as I couldn't bring myself to cut up one of my original M1917's. Found mine already altered by someone and needing a good home. But mine still has the original finish and would be only a barrel/grip change away from, not the original manufacture, but the original configuration. And this one at a more reasonable price of $560. Sure is fun to shoot.

Registered
I still occasionally feel guilt pangs from the old military weapons I altered years ago. One was a K98k Mauser brought back by a cousin's dad from WWII that we chopped the stock and had it D&T'd for scope mounts. Another was a really nice 1903 Springfield rifle that I fitted with a Fajen's sporter stock, added scope mounts, and had it polished and blued.

Registered
That one on GB had a S&W companion piece that I was also watching, if I recall it was more attractive, and the winning bid every bit insane. When this Colt was $700 or so, I thought it would be pretty cool...not cool enough to check back before the auction end. Then I checked the next morning. Yikes.

Registered
After looking at the bidding history, the winner looks to have bid against himself multiple times. Something smells a bit fishy...

Registered
The owner of that revolver was entitled to do with it as he wished.
You do not like it? Do not buy it. Easy peasy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts