Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys: I said I would try to post a few pics of my Colts, so here we go. I thought I would post a pic of this .38 Special OP, serialed # 908631. It is in nice original shape. The only peculiarity about it is the butt marking of NYSCD. The markings appear roll marked to me which makes them factory markings. I would like to hear if anyone can confirm or disprove that supposition of mine. I am also curious as to the meaning of the marking. Lately, I have come to believe it means New York State Conservation Department. At first I thought it was NY State Corrections Dept., but was told later that this was not the proper name of that entity. I have not found anything in writing (have not spent the $100 for a factory letter and probably won't on this one) but a couple of gun guys from NY felt pretty certain it was the Conservation Dept. which they said was the equivalent of the Parks or Wildlife Dept. So maybe this was a park ranger's gun. Would appreciate any input you guys can give me on this one. I'll post a couple of pics now, and maybe some more tonight. Thanks. (I hope this pic posts ok!)Charlie

·
Registered
52 Posts
Picture posted nicely.

How do you do this to get the picture visible within the message body. [I'm learning this computer stuff.]

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know much about computers either, but I have managed to figure out the picture posting deal. Your pics needed to be "hosted" somewhere accessible on the net. Mine are parked at Photoisland.com. There are many similar places on the net and a lot of ISPs give you free space for that purpose. Get the url of the pic you want to post by cutting or copying it. Then insert it, with no spaces, between these things.
. The pic should then post automatically. Hope that helps you. Charlie

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well here goes, my Colt OP in 38Spl (1943) with a five inch barrel.

javascript: openWindow("/servlet/com.arcsoft.UtilMain?com=arcsoftUtil&jobtype=zlargeview1&c2simple_next=largeview1.html&pict_id=19771850")

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gentlemen:

Way back at the dawn of time (in 2003) I posted a couple of questions about this NYSCD marked Colt OP. I never was able to confirm just what the NYSCD butt marking referred to, and really have not learned anything new about it since then. Nope, I have not done the obvious and sought a factory letter. The questions came back to me when I pulled this one out of the safe recently and started thinking about whether it was still a keeper or not.

Since the pics in the original post seemed to have disappeared I resurrected them and have posted them below. They were taken back when I was still trying to figure out this digital picture thing so please forgive the crummy quality. I hope that my picture taking skills have improved since then.

So, I ask the forum members here once again. Can anyone now determine what the NYSCD roll marking on the butt means? I am still favoring the New York State Conservation Department but am open to any new information that might be offered. (And I promise not to ask this question again for another 13 years!)

Thanks!

Regards,
Charlie

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Maybe New York State Corrections Dep't

1 - 10 of 10 Posts