Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have to laugh as I suspect there are a few here that the Doctor prescribed a new Colt and a box of ammo once a month :) "If you can't find the right gun shoot more ammo!" "It's good for your long term health."

I am prescribed to the more ammo program. But I need that new Colt on occasion to keep me fit and healthy :cool:

I like sharing the guns I'd like to own. This one is only $75,000 US American dollars :) No, I didn't buy it. Back to cranking my Dillon this morning. Hope you enjoy.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I'm getting behind. I have bought nine Colts in 10 months - all keepers so far. I was trying for one a month but couldn't get it done.

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
Are those ivory stocks? It is nice by the way, but I have seen some on this forum I bet are a lot cheaper and just as fine. Saint Clare had some recently if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
8,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wolfcoln said:
Are those ivory stocks? It is nice by the way, but I have seen some on this forum I bet are a lot cheaper and just as fine....
Yes Sir. Real ivory. Cheaper guns out there for sure. If this one was 100% legit, hard to argue the history or the price. Past that it is some what a pig in a poke I'd think.

"Checkered ivory grips of which appear to be replacements by the ill fit. Overall gun is elaborately and delicately engraved by Augustus Friedrich Ulrich who is known to have done a number of the panel scene guns. There is only 6-7 of them known. Quite elaborately engraved with about 75-80% coverage. Panel scene of a bear being shot by a hunter on one side of the frame and a dog and wildlife scene on the other. On top of the backstrap is a mounted Indian with full headdress. Gun is in beautiful shape with most orig nickel intact. The gun is accompanied by a lengthy letter from R.L. Wilson. He has a good deal to say about the rarity and quality of this gun. One of the best guns that I have had. However there are a few sticklers. There is two factory letters on this gun. They show that the gun was shipped twice. Once as a 7-1/2" nickel gun to Hartley & Graham and once as a blued frame gun 10 years later to a firm in St. Paul Minnesota. This gun is no doubt a factory show or exhibition gun. It is in the 32k serial range which a number of these are in. Also one thing that Larry Wilson pointed out is the hammer and ejector rod housing are very professional replacements. The engraving matches."

Like so many old guns if only this one could talk! Was it at the '76 World's Fair? Seems Wilson's letters no longer hold the weight they once did. Too many fakes made up to bank on anything without a supporting Colt letter. Be fun if some one could add to the story.

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
.........(sigh).........
My pile increases with relative frequency, but the one-a-month plan has not been completely implemented yet.

That bein' said, I have gone as far as 4 (four) in a month, and 2(two) in a week one time each in the last couple seasons.
I learned that if I was to secure possession of more than one handgun in a 7 day period, a secondary document was generated by the FFL to be forwarded to whom it may concern; in my case, the BATFE and the PD in the town where the purchases were made. Like a criminal investigation record or some such nonsense.
This was done to keep tight security on the legitimate, law abiding gun owner, to the exclusion of interference in the illegal black market trade & use of firearms among the criminal element now running unchecked in modern society.
This, again, is the reason it is called 'the criminal justice system'. It is mindlessly intended to obstruct privacy and IIA rights of the innocent citizen: Fast & Furious: false flag conspiracy to create additional pressure on We the People, with zero responsibility assigned the perpetrators..
Doncha just love da gubmint?
Rant over.
Sorry.

I picked up a Browning HiPower, a S&W 586, and 2 Colt model Ms last month.( a type III and a 1st year type I).
This was the best I could do, but I will be seeking continued followup treatment as time goes on.
It may not be one-a-month, but there are always incidental small items and accessories that can provide palliative relief in the meantime. This week it will be some decent wood for one of my little friends.
Y'all should check out 73shovel's thread. He has a broad assortment of some very nice stuff, all priced well within reason.
And there is always the chance that a trade might happen.

It is an affliction, y'know.......

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
I used to be on this program but Hurricane Irma really got me re-thinking my SAA buying strategy. Per my earlier post in the Lounge, I learned some valuable lessons from several weeks on the road as an evacuee...one of which was, it's not fun to have to haul your guns into the Holiday inn and back out again every time you move to a new location (not to mention the fact I'm not sure any of these hotels would have fancied me bringing in guns, loaded or not). And the constant eye rolls from my wife. My new strategy is to downsize but buy better stuff so there's less to haul.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Yahoody,

I read your post and got a good chuckle about the "prescription". I called my son (a Doctor) a short while ago and asked him to send me a prescription that I need so I can buy a "gun-a-month"; it will keep me Happy and Contented. He said doing that would be like prescribing Heroin to me as I am already addicted to firearms and I don't need to get worse, LOL!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Yahoody,

I read your post and got a good chuckle about the "prescription". I called my son (a Doctor) a short while ago and asked him to send me a prescription that I need so I can buy a "gun-a-month"; it will keep me Happy and Contented. He said doing that would be like prescribing Heroin to me as I am already addicted to firearms and I don't need to get worse, LOL!
So?
Ask for your money back on his education!
These young kids are so disrespectful these days:p

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
So?
Ask for your money back on his education!
These young kids are so disrespectful these days:p
I have already tried that and it did not work, LOL! The only good part is he does like firearms, but not like his "old pop", LOL! He figures he will get all mine when I "craok". I told him I was going to sell them all and use the funds for Wine, Women and Song! He didn't buy that either!

·
Registered
8,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jplower said:
I know where this gun came from and it was purchased for 25K... It is one of the wheel guns, so maybe the price isn't that much out of line.
I figured someone would know this gun. Thanks Dave. Any thoughts on the repairs/replacement of parts"?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I was too slow on the one SAA I wanted to buy at the show yesterday and somebody aced me out of it. Had to consol my hurt feelings by buying another gun. :bang_wall:

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I'd settle for one Colt a year to be honest. Does anyone with colt prescription medical experience know if it can work in cumulative doses or does it need to be spread out? Meaning do I have to start buying one a month, or can I buy 12 in a single month in order to catch up on all the time I missed or get ahead for next year? Kind of irrelevant here in California, as you can only transfer one pistol a month. Unless of course you are performing a private party transfer, in which case there is no limit. I know a fellow that has 65 colt SAA's, so if I can convince him that I need to buy 12 from him now in order to stave off an infection or whatever it is that the one a month purchase cures, I would be well along the way toward recovery. And well along the way to a divorce haha.

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
This topic comes up from time to time.
I have addressed it on several occasions.
The fact is, it ain't an addiction. It is an affliction, like a pathological condition that can be controlled and relieved.
There has been a great deal written about this on here.
Now, about the cumulative effect of mega-dose therapy, I would suggest that a more conservative approach will have just as favorable results. Go out and shop around, pile up a few, and see if you don't feel somewhat vindicated.
My suspicion is that the effect will not be complete in an acute, aggressive management scheme, and the therapeutic level is easier to achieve with frequent small doses until the desired state of satisfaction is reached. This will have two-fold benefits: 1), the individual will get the relief he deserves (and not go nutty or broke in the process), and 2), the availability of Colts (that is, the supply of therapeutic Colts) will not be drastically affected by a 'panic-acquisition' type frenzy. You ain't alone in this, y'know...
My advice is to get started and find your comfort zone.
It is OK to snatch up couple extra to trade with , if you like, but don't deplete the market.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Here is my relief when I have not gotten a new firearm in a while. Go back to your oldest firearm/s and pull them out of the safe if you can find them, and you will feel like it is a new firearm, and give you some relief. Many years ago, I was hunting for a rifle and I found a very nice Krag rifle I had forgotten I owned! I played with it just like a new purchase and then took it to the range. You never know what is in the back of the safe, LOL!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts