Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see a lot of reference here to revolvers chambered for ".45LC" Has anyone ever seen a Colt revolver with a .45 Long Colt calibre marking?

Rio

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Colt has almost always referred to the cartridge as .45 Colt.

Wikipedia has this one, at least, correct: "The .45 Colt cartridge is a handgun cartridge dating to 1872. It began as a black-powder revolver round developed for the Colt Single Action Army revolver. This cartridge was adopted by the U.S. Army in 1873 and served as the official US military handgun cartridge for 19 years. It is sometimes, although incorrectly, referred to as .45 Long Colt or .45LC, to differentiate it from the shorter .45 Schofield, as both were used by the army at the same period of time"

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
While the correct nomenclature is, and always been, .45 Colt I won't be too harsh on old timers who continue to say .45 Long Colt. There really was a .45 short Colt. Around the WW I era Rem-UMC loaded some .45 Colt bullets in .45 S&W cases, H/S .45 Colt.

Some examples:

H/S of above cartridges:

Bob Wright

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bob, I fear you are right, and, SL I realise where the historical reference came from. I just wondered why, on this of all forums, so many folks would use this incorrect terminology. :bang_wall:

Rio

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I just wondered why, on this of all forums, so many folks would use this incorrect terminology. :bang_wall:

Rio

The reason why I use the "incorrect terminology" is because there are too many nimrods who refer to their Government Model as a "45 Colt" (or "Colt 45") instead of the correct 45 ACP or 45 Auto. By the simple insertion of LONG Colt it prevents any confusion.

Reloading data can be especially amusing. I wonder how many of the aforementioned nimrods, after asking for loading advice on their "45 Colt", wonder why the 255 grain Keith SWC doesn't seem to be the best choice for their semi-auto pistol :rolleyes:

Back in the old Shotgun News days I called a guy nimrod who had a "45 Colt" for sale. I asked about the barrel ength, drag line on cylinder, etc. Turned out to be GM in 45 ACP. And he acted like I was the goofball!

On another forum, a poster who was a rangemaster told a story of how a shooter was trying to cram 45 LONG Colts into his GM magazine. When he asked the guy nimrod why he was trying to load those, the shooter nimrod said it was the cartridge for his gun.

I have never understood the big deal about using the LONG Colt designation, how it's considered wrong, incorrect, never existed, not official, etc., etc. There are MANY terms in gun collecting which were never official but are consistently used by gun people and readily accepted by all.

John Gross

Oh....and finally.......

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In my book it is a big deal. Instead of using the wrong terminology to suit the people you are talking to, surely it would be better to try and educate them to use the correct specifications. If they don't want to learn that's fine - but I won't talk at their level just to please them. Some of the biggest offenders are retailers selling the brass. Just my opinion.

Rio

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
In my book it is a big deal. Instead of using the wrong terminology to suit the people you are talking to, surely it would be better to try and educate them to use the correct specifications. If they don't want to learn that's fine - but I won't talk at their level just to please them. Some of the biggest offenders are retailers selling the brass. Just my opinion.

Rio
Well said Rio, absolutely correct. I deal with people all day who use the wrong terminology. I'd like to put your statement on the wall over my desk.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
I think people just look for things to nitpick to make themselves feel better, or somehow superior. The economy is in the toilet, you have to jump through more hoops to own a firearm in your country than a tiger in a circus. If people would channel their energy towards more productive things instead of nitpicking people they share a hobby with I think the whole world would be a better place. There is a 45 acp, 45 SC, 45 S&W etc, while to purists it may be inaccurate it is not when describing the caliber, not to me. None of us are "perfect" and I bet scanning through everyones old post you will find mistakes in grammer, spelling, incomplete sentences, etc. Pick a fight worth fighting imho

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I think people just look for things to nitpick to make themselves feel better, or somehow superior. The economy is in the toilet, you have to jump through more hoops to own a firearm in your country than a tiger in a circus. If people would channel their energy towards more productive things instead of nitpicking people they share a hobby with I think the whole world would be a better place. There is a 45 acp, 45 SC, 45 S&W etc, while to purists it may be inaccurate it is not when describing the caliber, not to me. None of us are "perfect" and I bet scanning through everyones old post you will find mistakes in grammer, spelling, incomplete sentences, etc. Pick a fight worth fighting imho
You make an interesting point, but consider this. Is proper termonology important in drafting legislation? Magazines vs. clips? Auto vs. semi auto? M16 vs. AR15?

If someone proposes a ban on "Colt 45s," do they mean only 1911s and not Government Models? What about SAAs?

The devil is in the details, my friend, and terminology is his language!

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
This is absolutely absurd and people get their panties twisted up over the most trivial and nonsensical stuff over the internet. We are not drafting legislation on this forum, or solving any other world crisis. This is an ego fueled issue by people with nothing better to do than complain.

When people on here complaining about this terminology write in perfect English with perfect spelling, punctuation, sentence structure, etc then it would hold water. The guy that started this has plenty of those errors in his rant so I find it laughable. I have plenty of my own so don't necessarily look for others faults, if I can understand their intent that is all I need.

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
It doesn't seem at all unreasonable to assume that anyone with a true interest in the hobby would want to use incorrect terminology, and while I haven't been on the forum for a lengthy time I don't recall an OP being upset about being given correct information. If I can answer a question I feel that the person that ask the question is now as knowledgable on that subject as I am, and they aren't the ones complaining.

Our economy is not failing because everyone has the correct answer, but because we now have a workforce that was educated to believe that whether your answer was right or wrong or you pass or fail, you are still correct. Instead of being taught math, science, history, and basic communication skills, our kids are now taught liberal philosophy.

Remember ebonics?

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
I do not run an English Class Rio, sorry, I have enough of my own issues. There is nothing wrong with offering correct terminology to a person but a rant about it seems counter productive. We call automobiles "cars", canines "dogs", you call trunks "boot's", hoods "bonnets", cigarettes "****". We call coffee "Joe", dinner "supper", blah, blah, blah. Americans have never really used Proper English and dialect varies by state here, spending time debating the smallest of details, such as this one, takes the fun out of the hobby to me. I will not post on this thread again it gives me a headache, so if you will excuse me I have to feed my canines, and remove the vapor composed primarily of water exposed to temperatures of or below 32 degrees F from the driveway

Rob, I am always willing to be corrected and learn so can you point out my mistakes please?

Rio

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.