Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Diamonback68(Or, anyone, please?):

I need to get your advice right away, reguarding two Colt Diamondbacks, I just saw today, as follows:

1)What, in your opinion, would you think of a price of $575, for a .22 caliber, Diamondback, in about 99% condition(Very lightly fired(Hardly, a trace, of a cylinder ring))and, with a four inch barrel(Blued)but, with no box(But, this gun, looks like a safe queen, otherwise!)? An old guy(Who collects Colt's)brought sixteen Colt revolvers, in to this Gun Shop(He got rid of all of the gun boxes-and, just kept his guns, in his safe!)but, since he is now old and sick, his wife, brought all of his Colt collection, into this Gun Shop to be sold! So, this Diamondback, is the last Colt, left to be sold(And, there is no box)!

2)This second, Colt Diamondback, was also, in the same gun case-and, it looks as nice, as the .22 caliber, Diamondback(Mentioned above)except, that if you look close(At the front of the cylinder)you can see traces, of powder burns(But, there is only a very faint cylinder ring)otherwise, this gun also, looks like a safe queen! This gun, is by a different gun owner(Also, a consignment gun)and, this gun, is also, a blued, four-inch barrel(But, is in .38 caliber)? What do you think of a price of $435, for this Diamondback(Also, no box!)?

3)On one of these diamondbacks, the grip, fits a little loose(Enough so, that you can slightly pivot(Rock!)forward and backward-like it doesn't fit tight)? If tightening the grip screw, won't solve this problem, then, what is the solution, to fix this problem? I think that I read about this grip fit, being a problem, with Diamondback's, on this forum?

4)Can you give me the serial number ranges, for the various years, that the Diamondback, was made(Including, the alphabet "Letter" preceeding, the serial numbers)? I don't have access, to a Colt reference book! Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Colt38 (edited 04-02-2004).]

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
First off, Colt38, buy them both as fast as you can, at those prices they are steals.

Loose stock problem is not a problem and we can discuss later.

Serial ranges:
D- 1966
N- 1976
R- 1978
S- 1979
P- 1981
AA- 1985

Let us know haw you make out.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT HANG ONTO ONE GUN,
JUST IN CASE!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could S-C-R-E-A-M!!!!!!!!!!!!###@@**^%$!!!

1)I bought the .22 caliber Diamondback-but, I L-O-S-T, getting the .38 caliber DB!!!!!

2)My .22 caliber DB, is an "R" prefix. Serial Number. The .38 caliber DB, was a "D" Serial Number prefix!

3)I know, that it might be "Painful", but, tell me the facts: Was the "D" S/N Prefix, DB's, made any better(Quality level?)than the "R" S/N Prefix, DB's? Or, were these pretty much the same(I want to know the "Truth"-even if it "Hurts"!)?

4)The bluing, was deeper(Richer looking)on the .22 DB, that I bought-but, the bluing, on the "D" Prefix, DB(Although, new looking)was a lighter(Not as deep a looking, bluing)! Was this because, there possibly, were two different types of bluing, on the DB's?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Colt38, didn't I tell you not to wait.
Answer to No.3, the quality on all my Ds and Rs are about the same. That said, I do have one R were the bluing is not quite as pretty as some of the others, but it doesn't matter much to me as quality will vary with any manufacturer and you can always replace it with a "purdier" one if one comes along, sort of upgrading.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT HANG ONTO ONE GUN,
JUST IN CASE!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Diamondback68:

1)Yes, you were right, that I should not have waited, to buy that second, Diamondback(.38 caliber)!

2)Actually, that certain, Gun Dealer, "Betrayed" me! I had asked him, to call the gun owner, to give her, my slightly lower offer? And, he said that he would call-but, that, the gun owner, was a very hard person to get a hold of? The agreement was, that he would call me, ASAP, after he contacted the guns owner? And, I was to have the first chance, at buying this DB? I made it clear to him, that I had intended, to buy both Diamondback's(But, I was only waiting, for an answer, from the guns owner, as to whether or not, my offer was accepted?)and, I had to drive, 40 miles back home! However, I had a "Bad" feeling, once I got back home-so, I called the Gun Dealer-and, he just said, that he had sold that second Diamondback(As soon as I walked out of his Gun Shop)! This person, just "Lied" to me! I would have "Preferred" that he had just told me, that if I didn't buy that second Diamondback(While in his shop)then I could just kiss it good bye! I always have stood by my word-and, I have always, expected, the other person, that I'm dealing with, to keep their word also!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
That was a "dirty deal", but when it comes to buying and selling guns some very unscrupulous people will do some pretty low down things. I usually just refuse to deal with these types anymore and take my business elsewhere (if you can).

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT HANG ONTO ONE GUN,
JUST IN CASE!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts