Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Diamondback68:

I have found a pretty nice 4-inch(Nickel)Diamondback revolver in .38 special caliber. It is like new(But there is no box or papers!)! This gun has a serial number of R0124x.

My question is if the above revolver would be collectible by virtue of it having a nickel finish-or, not? I wanted to ask you specifically about this-because I know that you collect Diamondbacks-and, because I know that you know your stuff(And, I have faith in your judgement!)! Thanks!

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Hey Colt38,
While Dicks not in, I'll talk to ya buddy.
That is the most common Dback in Nickel, however, all Nickel Dbacks are much tougher to find than the Blued models.
As far as collectability goes, they are not making any more and I don't see the price going down anytime soon.
As far as price goes, I would have to stack it at about the $800 range give or take $25. That is if she's Minty with no box or papers and has original grips/stocks.

We'll wait till Dick gets back and see what the Master has to say.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)
I know I only have 2 stars next to my name, so that means I aint as important as everyone else, but someday, just someday, you just wait and see.... LOL

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I'm not too sure about being a Master, but here is my take on it.

The single most common Dback is the 4" blue in .38Spl., now they made fewer of that variant in nickel, how many no one knows, but I would say nickel only makes it slightly more desireable and or collectable.
I have one that was fired six times and put away, but it is mint with all the box and papers warranty card and sight adjustment tool.
I show it in my inventory as valued at $800 if I was to sell, which I won't. Yours, without the box and goodies, I would put at $750 TOPS.

By the way yours was made in 1977, exact middle of production and would therfore add no extra value, like a first year one would.

Hope that helps some.

P.S. Jeff, I just gave you a five star rating, but it only add one more star. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Registered
88 Posts
i past last year on one like that for 650 now i wish i got it .have not seen a nickel one since.
i did pick up a minty blue one in four inch.
if you can get it at a fair price grab it i dont think there were that many in nickel i just dont see them.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
All nice Diamondbacks are collectable these days. The 4" Blue 38spl is the most common. I would say that the second most common are the 4" 22's.

My perception (opinion) of production from most to least Diamondbacks:
4" Blue 38spl
4" Blue 22LR
2.5" Blue 38spl
6" Blue 22LR
4" Nickel 38spl
6" Blue 38spl
2.5" Nickel 38spl
6" Nickel 22
4" Nickel 22
6" Coltguard 22
4" Coltguard 22? Not sure where to place it. (Never seen one.)
2.5" Blue 22
2.5" Nickel 22
6" Nickel 38spl
4" 22WMR
(How's that for a list?) Feel free to re-arrange the list.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for giving me the straight facts! This nickel Diamondback is minty-but it does have a slight cylinder turn ring! Otherwise, it is all original. However, I'd feel much more comfortable in buying this Diamondback, if it was a complete package(With box and papers, etc.)!

I might hold off on buying this Diamondback, until I get the chance to view a couple of 1950's & 1960's supposedly mint(NIB)Colt Python's(One 6-inch & one 4-inch)before deciding?

I also appreciate everyone else's input here too!

GUNKWAZY: I thank you too ole buddy! I respect your opinion right up there next to Diamondback68's! However, I would have to rank you as if Diamondback was Matt Dillon and you were his sidekick "Chester"! Isn't this a respectable rating for you-or? Naw, both of you guys are just great, in my book(Same ranking=5 stars +!)!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Hi there! Just bought a NIB nickel 4" 22 cal. Diamondback with papers, hang tag, and even the plastic bag they were wrapped in for $1,050.00, and was super glad to get it.

There is a 6" 22 NIB on Auction Arms right now that just went to $1,802.00. That price to me is a stretch at this time, but I congratulate them on getting it.

A 4" blued early DB was very recently sold on GB for $1,625.00 by a Colt forum member. That too, I believe was a tad high at this time.

In my opinion, any nickel DB has some collector value, actually any DB. They don't make em anymore. Boxes can be picked up on Ebay, and if you sell it in five years when the are all over $2,500.00, people will probably forgive you for not having the hand tag.

If its under $750.00 I would buy it.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Colt38 & Diamondback6 thanks you guys. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hey you guys should know, if I had 5 stars, people may actually think I know what I'm talking about. I'd then have to be GunSerious instead of GunKwazy. We can't have that.... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif LOL

Thanks, Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
705 Posts
Well, I have had 9 of the Dbacks listed above. Still have 4, the 2 1/2" blue .22 with box is my favorite. And the nickel 2 1/2" .38 is next. The other 2 in the box are staying in the back of the safe and out of sight. I have yet to see a .38 nickel 6". If I do, it will be hard to pass it up.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I would love to find a 6" Nickel 38spl DB. As said, it would be hard to pass up at a show.

If the price was reasonable on the 4" Nickel 38spl, I'd pick it up. As was said, they aren't making them anymore.

·
Registered
778 Posts
There will be many reasonably priced Diamondbacks around.

Obviously there has been a feeding frenzy on this one, caused to a great degree by the attention to this particular revolver on this forum.

In my opinion, the gun is worth about $1,250.00-$1,500.00. I would love to see the buyer resell it for anywhere near the price paid for it in the near future.

There are no sour grapes in my above comments.

Believe me there enough super revolvers out there to sate my appetite, and bruise my wallet.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

In my opinion, the gun is worth about $1,250.00-$1,500.00.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your opinion fellow Floridian and that may be what you think it is worth to you, but I hate to tell you but you are relying on pricing at least five years old. You may find a local seller that will let a NIB Nickel 6" 22LR go for that price, but it will never stand on any of the auctions.

Not at all trying to be argumentitive, but that is reality.
I agree to some extent the price should have been $1800-1900 and stop. But hey, I don't set the market price, demand does.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Well, OK!

Lets see what the next few bring on the auctions without all the hoop-laa.

Like all of you I want to see my Colts appreciate in value as quickly as possible.

We also buy on the auctions, and I still think that price is off the wall.

No hard feelings about this, we are all entitled to our opinions.

Time will tell.

·
Registered
22 Posts
there is a 6" 22 blue LNIB at a local store for 950 and I have been trying to talk myself into buying it, but feel that it is priced a little too high. Could probobly get it 50 cheaper, but who knows.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Sorry, but I think you should go for it.

The way prices are going it won't be long before that gap of just $50 is filled.

·
Registered
778 Posts
You are going to go back to that shop, and find it gone!

Thats a steal, considering the idiotic prices Diamondbacks are going for on the auctions.

Good luck, I hope its still there.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hi robba, I have to agree with Diamondback68 however you may feel about the prices these DB's are bringing, it's whatever the market will bear. We at the store felt bad that it went for this astronomical price and are going to give the guy about a $160 price cut. We as a small store need to make whatever profit we can to keep the lights on and the guys paid. We started the auction under $1800, using the approximate value that members on this forum advised us on. If you read all the threads some of the guys in their opinions thought we shouldn't take under $2000 for it. I don't belive I caused any hoopla as you are stating, I just wanted to start the gun at a fair price and get as much info on it as I could. I try and be as truthful as I can possibly be and at sometimes I do get a little excited as I am relatively new to guns in general. My intentions were not to cause a feeding frenzy by any means. In fact, no one on this Forum ever contacted me as far as I know with purchasing this gun in mind. I do remember you contacting me about buying the 4" blued DB we recenly sold that went for $751, I'm sorry you thought that went high too, but then again I didn't dictate that price, the market did. If you remember, I started that one out at $599 which seemed very reasonable with the current prices people were getting for these on the auction sites. I hope you do continue to find great prices on Colts when you can, I think that's awesome when you are a collector and find some jewel you were looking for at a great price. That's the funnest part of collecting in my opinion.
Anyway, I hope I haven't upset or offended anyone in any of my posts. I would never intentionally do anything to drive up the prices on things. If you check my feedbacks on Auction Arms you would see I am quite content on giving guys very good deals on quality guns. So in closing robba, I'm sorry but I just don't see where some of your statements are coming from. I'm sure they sound a little like sour grapes to some people, but I do hope I understand your feelings. Kind of the same thing happened when I used to play around with Musclecars and now I've pretty much been excluded from that hobby due to the fast rising prices with those. Take care and please don't be offended by anything I have said, Shoodaddy

1 - 20 of 24 Posts