Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, dfw! Thanks for the invitation to your storehouse of wisdom! Here's a few for you if you would ... 1. Who WAS the John Wayne sidekick you mentioned in an earlier thread with his own TV show? UNCLE! I give up. And, 2. I'm always interested in movie guns, famous people and such. A friend once told me how he, as an Allentown, Pa. cop, was assigned to body guard Red Skelton during an appearance there. According to the story, Skelton had a favorite gun shop there, too. They stopped in and Skelton bought several, just introduced at the time, Pythons. He showed them to the officer and asked what he thought of them. Skelton went on for quite a while about how accurate they were and the best action ever and that, certainly, a policeman ought to have one! The cop shrugs and says, "Sure, Mr. Skelton, but my car cost less than that gun!" Skelton buys him one, too and they remained friends for many years. Tell me some gun stories and I'll get the milk and cookies.(Or beer and pretzels, if you prefer!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
All right, dfarris! Makes me think of a gent I USED to refer to as, "Old John." We were both on a city PD and us squirts used to actually make bets on how many concealed weapons John would have on him at any given time. He never did, "fess up," to the total count, but I've seen him peel off four and five items just to settle disputes. When someone would claim he'd won the bet, with whatever number, John could always come up with another one from SOMEWHERE. After that many, our attention span was shot and we'd go back to talking about women, again! <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dfariswheel:
The John Wayne sidekick with his own TV show?
Sorry I don't remember the thread.

James Arness of Gunsmoke?

One of my favorite "gun stories" was a piece the then, and still, despicable CBS 60 Minutes did on Willie Nelson.

One of the reporters was interviewing members of Nelson's band, and asked the drummer (a rough and surly looking type) If it was true he carried a gun. If so could the reporter see it?

The drummer replied: "Which one"?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,815 Posts

One of my favorite "gun stories" was a piece the then, and still, despicable CBS 60 Minutes did on Willie Nelson.

One of the reporters was interviewing members of Nelson's band, and asked the drummer (a rough and surly looking type) If it was true he carried a gun. If so could the reporter see it?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ready for your next question? Would you tell us more about famous cop guns? I was interested to hear from you about the Diamondback being a pet cop gun. I would have thought they were too delicate for that. What do you think of a gov't model in .38 super for cops? And while we're at it, since my wished-for clamshell is a turd, what holsters do you like for medium to large revolvers? Over? <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dfariswheel:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,815 Posts
From some accounts the Diamondback was an "in" gun with the LAPD and some other Western police depts.

Since the DB is nothing but a Detective Special with a heavy barrel and adjustable sights, it's just as durable.

Most cops are working people who happen to carry a gun, and they don't really care too much about which one.
Others are "gun people" who want to carry something nice, and the DB was about as nice as a small frame .38 could be.

You usually saw it in a 2 1/2" on a undercover or detective's hip.
I saw one once with fancy wood grips, and a cut-off hammer spur. The owner was a St Louis detective who carried it in an original Roy Baker Pancake holster.

The St Louis Police dept owned a stock of pre-war Colt Government Models in Super .38, (as it was known then) for use by their detective division.

These were apparently checked out if they were expecting things to get violent.
In the mid-80's, Jeff Faintich bought them from the department and sold them to collector's.

Jeff is one of the 3 founding members of the Colt Collector's Association, and is an internationally known Colt collector and expert.

He now has an auction service, specializing in very top end firearms, especially Colts.

Jeff has had a gun shop in St Ann, MO for years, known as Mid-City Gun and Coin.
This is, or was, just a little hole in the wall in a small strip mall, but had some FINE firearms in the non-public safe.

If you're ever in the St Louis area, check it out.

Since you seem to want some "Colt" stories, I wrote a few over the years, and they were posted on another forum.

I'll post these in the Lounge area later today, or tonight. Hope you enjoy.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, Sir! I'll tune in tonight on the lounge channel. Later, gator! <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dfariswheel:
From some accounts the Diamondback was an "in" gun with the LAPD and some other Western police depts.

Since the DB is nothing but a Detective Special with a heavy barrel and adjustable sights, it's just as durable.

Most cops are working people who happen to carry a gun, and they don't really care too much about which one.
Others are "gun people" who want to carry something nice, and the DB was about as nice as a small frame .38 could be.

You usually saw it in a 2 1/2" on a undercover or detective's hip.
I saw one once with fancy wood grips, and a cut-off hammer spur. The owner was a St Louis detective who carried it in an original Roy Baker Pancake holster.

The St Louis Police dept owned a stock of pre-war Colt Government Models in Super .38, (as it was known then) for use by their detective division.

These were apparently checked out if they were expecting things to get violent.
In the mid-80's, Jeff Faintich bought them from the department and sold them to collector's.

Jeff is one of the 3 founding members of the Colt Collector's Association, and is an internationally known Colt collector and expert.

He now has an auction service, specializing in very top end firearms, especially Colts.

Jeff has had a gun shop in St Ann, MO for years, known as Mid-City Gun and Coin.
This is, or was, just a little hole in the wall in a small strip mall, but had some FINE firearms in the non-public safe.

If you're ever in the St Louis area, check it out.

Since you seem to want some "Colt" stories, I wrote a few over the years, and they were posted on another forum.

I'll post these in the Lounge area later today, or tonight. Hope you enjoy.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm gonna' see about a very nice looking .38 super a local dealer had a while back ... Pre series 70. Asked $800. Sound good? Your info about the .38 super as a cop gun is very reassuring. I've always thought the .357 would be about as effective as a .45 but after reading your stories, I think it may be MORE effective. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rcwambold:
Thank you, Sir! I'll tune in tonight on the lounge channel. Later, gator! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
600 Posts
DFaris: I am sorry to advise that Jeff Faintich passed away a couple of years ago. I don't believe that his firm is in business any longer. He was a very knowledgeable guy and well liked by others in the CCA. Charlie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts