Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But it was in the State I live in, so I had to pay the tax collector. Either way, these sets don't come up very often.

(9003) R.E. Lee and U.S. Grant Matched Pair (#241LGP & #241GLP). Date manufactured: 1971. Quantity: 250 sets.

Rob

Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Air gun

·
Registered
78 Posts
Nice set. I also have the matching pair same serial number, but they are in separate presentation boxes. Both sets have the original shipping cartons. In fact, I have not removed the Lee from its original cartons. I believe 250 of each of these individual cased sets were also produced. They are truly beautiful cased sets.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gustmez1:

I wasn't aware that they made a specific limited edition of the Lee and Grant single cased sets. They made 4750 sets of the Lee and 4750 sets of the Grant; the serial numbers for the Lee: 251REL to 5000REL, and for the Grant: 251USG to 5000USG. I believe that Colt did ship through their distribution channels some of the single cased sets of Lee and Grant together (with same serial number), which were then sold by the dealers as a pair. Though, maybe not necessarily intended to be a pair, they are a pair, nevertheless, and you are to be congratulated for finding one (they are beautiful sets). Since you haven't unpacked your pair, I have included my single cased sets, below (though not matching serial numbers, like yours)

The double matched pair is identified with the following serial numbers, for Lee: 0LGP to 250LGP, and for Grant: 0GLP to 250GLP.
------------------------------------------------------

Steg, you named a couple of difficult ones to get. Though they made 174 of the Conquistadores Del Cielo, I have never seen, or know of the location of, one. This will be a challenge.

I know of the whereabouts of 3 of 8 of the 1861 Navy Stainless Steel. I had indicated an interest in buying #1 or #2 from the owner, but since I knew he wasn't going to let go of the pair, it was a half-hearted comment. Made a firm offer of double the value for #8, but the owner wasn't ready to sell since he had just acquired it. Too bad, normally the first offer is the best, and I may not do so again.

I notice in your description of the 2nd generation guns the designator 'M' in front of the year. Is that to separate it from the 1st generation guns, and 'M' means 'modern'?

Rob

Box Machine Tool Razor Gun Revolver Trigger Air gun Starting pistol

·
Registered
78 Posts
gunner5, I stand corrected. The numbers you stated are correct. 4750 of the Lee and 4750 sets of the Grants were produced. My error. As stated before my set came packed in the factory cardboard boxes which I have preserved. Thanks for the comment.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Good pick-up Rob. I love those double-cased set!

In the early 1970s my dad bought me the U.S. Grant Commemorative. Being a Southern Sympathizer I asked the gun shop if they had the Robert E. Lee model I had seen in the Dixie Gun Works catalog, but the salesman said no, just the Grant one. No matter, I was happy with my new gift from dad.

I shot the gun, cast bullets with the brass mold, and generally had a great time with it. Unfortunately I sold the gun a few short years later and came to regret it. It was my first Colt, my first new gun, and of course a gift from my father. About 2001 I decided it was finally time to replace it but I couldn't decide to get the Grant model like my father had bought for me originally, or the Lee model I had really wanted. The simple solution was to get both!!

Pictured below is my Lee-Grant matched pair, matching serial numbers of 61.

John Gross

Reactions: VaqueroAZ

·
Registered
552 Posts
Gustmez1:

I wasn't aware that they made a specific limited edition of the Lee and Grant single cased sets. They made 4750 sets of the Lee and 4750 sets of the Grant; the serial numbers for the Lee: 251REL to 5000REL, and for the Grant: 251USG to 5000USG. I believe that Colt did ship through their distribution channels some of the single cased sets of Lee and Grant together (with same serial number), which were then sold by the dealers as a pair. Though, maybe not necessarily intended to be a pair, they are a pair, nevertheless, and you are to be congratulated for finding one (they are beautiful sets). Since you haven't unpacked your pair, I have included my single cased sets, below (though not matching serial numbers, like yours)

The double matched pair is identified with the following serial numbers, for Lee: 0LGP to 250LGP, and for Grant: 0GLP to 250GLP.
------------------------------------------------------

Steg, you named a couple of difficult ones to get. Though they made 174 of the Conquistadores Del Cielo, I have never seen, or know of the location of, one. This will be a challenge.

I know of the whereabouts of 3 of 8 of the 1861 Navy Stainless Steel. I had indicated an interest in buying #1 or #2 from the owner, but since I knew he wasn't going to let go of the pair, it was a half-hearted comment. Made a firm offer of double the value for #8, but the owner wasn't ready to sell since he had just acquired it. Too bad, normally the first offer is the best, and I may not do so again.

I notice in your description of the 2nd generation guns the designator 'M' in front of the year. Is that to separate it from the 1st generation guns, and 'M' means 'modern'?

Rob

View attachment 40075 View attachment 40076
When discussing Colt Percussion revolvers in print, the M in front of the date (i.e. M 1847 Walker, M 1848, M1850, 1851 Dragoon, 1849 Pocket, M1851 Navy, M1860 Army, M1861Navy, M1862 Police, and M1865 Navy) stands for Model. Pocket, Navy, Army, Police designates the caliber of the gun: Pocket = .31 cal.; Navy and Police = .36 cal.; and Army and Dragoon = .44 cal. The M designation for Model was used by Colt until 1914.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What is this set worth????

Greetings........

My husband and I have this set (107 LGP) and I have been searching the internet to get more information about it. That is how I found this forum. Ya'll sound like you know a lot about it and I would appreciate any information you could give me.

Thanks,
Auntiemame

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The set was manufactured in 1971. The model number is C-9003. They made 251 sets. The serial numbers are 0 GLP to 250 GLP and 0 LGP to 250 LGP (depending if it is the 1851 Navy U.S. Grant revolver or the 1851 Navy R.E. Lee revolver, respectively). The price of the set:

NIB - $2,250
100% - $2,000
98% - $1,300

Rob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts