Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi--

Anybody here a Colt Camp Perry fan? Back in my days of infatuation with pre-war Officer's Models, I bought a CP in pretty decent (92--95%)shape and actually shoot it now and then. Seems to me to be the kind of pistol we should have more of today: good 2 lb. trigger, accurate, just the sort of thing for people to learn to shoot well with. The sights and grip could be better, but otherwise it's just great. Most shooters would have more real fun with something like it than with the big blasters they buy and hardly ever shoot, in my opinion.

Bill A

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi Bill,
I agree and shoot most all of my Pre War Target guns. Of course these are not the "gunfighter" type guns that a lot of guys "fantasize" about. These are the shooting sports guns, the ones that Target shooters used many years ago to set National Records.

If you would like to see some pictures of them and some of the first adds for the Colt Camp Perry or any other of the Pre War Target Colt revolvers go to:
www.groups.yahoo.com/group/COLT-1

There's a bunch of info such as serial numbers, adds, over a hundred pictures of the guns and the guys that used them.

IP

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bill A:
Hi--

Anybody here a Colt Camp Perry fan? Back in my days of infatuation with pre-war Officer's Models, I bought a CP in pretty decent (92--95%)shape and actually shoot it now and then. Seems to me to be the kind of pistol we should have more of today: good 2 lb. trigger, accurate, just the sort of thing for people to learn to shoot well with. The sights and grip could be better, but otherwise it's just great. Most shooters would have more real fun with something like it than with the big blasters they buy and hardly ever shoot, in my opinion.

Bill A
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello, Ira--

I'm trying to join that group; I'll wait to see if it worked.

Back to the usefulness of the Camp Perry: what's needed is a good, reasonably priced single shot target pistol with good sights, grip, and trigger--something to learn on that's cheap and has good practical accuracy, but is short of the complications and high price tag of modern free pistols (of which I am also a fan, but that's another story). Probably a sure loser in the marketplace, since I (cynically) think that most guns are purchased for image, not shooting.

Bill A

·
Registered
516 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly; since there aren't, you should sell me your Camp Perry for $300.00 (just kidding of course).

In the annual Gun Digests, there's a French gun handled by Mandall Shooting supplies that interests me - it's a mini-bolt action single shot called Gaucher GP(sp?) that shows a retail price of $425.00. I've never seen a write-up of one, or heard anyone on the various forums I visit mention it. I may have to break down and buy one someday, just to see what it's like.

[This message has been edited by Bullet Bob (edited 10-27-2003).]

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've seen those ads too, but never the pistol. If you buy one, how about some pictures and a report?

Bill A

·
Registered
153 Posts
Bill,
I see you got into the COLT-1 group, hope you enjoy it.
If you ever need help or info on Free Pistols let me know, I worked for Hammerli for 12 years and had all the different Models they made. They did a low end Free Pistol, the Model 120 but it did not sell very well for them.
IP

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bill A:
Hello, Ira--

I'm trying to join that group; I'll wait to see if it worked.

Back to the usefulness of the Camp Perry: what's needed is a good, reasonably priced single shot target pistol with good sights, grip, and trigger--something to learn on that's cheap and has good practical accuracy, but is short of the complications and high price tag of modern free pistols (of which I am also a fan, but that's another story). Probably a sure loser in the marketplace, since I (cynically) think that most guns are purchased for image, not shooting.

Bill A
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Ira--

I own two Hammerlis, a 152 and 160. Of the two, I think I like the 152 better. Bought them both at bargain prices from other shooters. I've always had my eye out for a 120; what's your opinion of them?

Bill A

·
Registered
153 Posts
Bill,
The Colt forum may not be the place to talk about Hammerli. I'll e mail you off the forum.

IP

Hi Ira--

I own two Hammerlis, a 152 and 160. Of the two, I think I like the 152 better. Bought them both at bargain prices from other shooters. I've always had my eye out for a 120; what's your opinion of them?

Bill A
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
516 Posts
Well, Bill, I couldn't stand it anymore, I called Mandall's and ordered one of the two they had left. I don't know which forum to put it on though - maybe the smith-wesson forum lounge, or rimfirecentral.com; or, I could email you, since you and I might be the only one's interested!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts