Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Calling customer service tomorrow as I cannot litterally close the crane on my new 2020 python I picked up yesterday from my LGS. Playing around with it in my kitchen and then the crane became rock solid. I’m afraid to put any more force on with my hand. Cyclinder rotates freely but this thing is rock solid stick open at like 45 degrees.

I’ve owned a lot of pythons and revolvers but have never seen anything like this. I’m super disappointed.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Maybe something simple like a burr or machining debris in the tang chamber. Remove the Cylinder tang screw (opposite side of the gun frame). Remove the little spring and detent. See if you can slide the Cylinder and Cylinder Tang out for inspection and cleaning.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe something simple like a burr or machining debris in the tang chamber. Remove the Cylinder tang screw (opposite side of the gun frame). Remove the little spring and detent. See if you can slide the Cylinder and Cylinder Tang out for inspection and cleaning.
Crane screw, dentent and spring out. Still rock solid

·
Premium Member
9,659 Posts
Remove the crane and cylinder assembly, tapping it forward with a dowel (through a chamber to bear on the crane) if necessary. Once out, look for a burr or debris, remove, reassemble and test.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Got it off with rubber mallet. That sucked. Yepp metal burrs. Super disappointing though considering how much it costs
That kind of thing happens but it should not. During assembly that should have been discovered moreover when the part came in from the subcontractor the metal burrs/shavings should not have been there. Glad you got it fixed without a trip back.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Got it back together and working fine. Honestly this is probably the worst SA trigger pull on any revolver I’ve ever owned. All in all, pretty disappointed I bought the damn thing
If there is one trend I have noticed in all my years of buying guns, it's don't buy a "new" gun until it has been on the market for about 5 years. I'm quite happy to let everyone else do the beta testing for me, but I know from experience it's pretty rare a manufacture gets it perfect the first time up at bat. Colt will eventually fix that. Until then, send it to a good gunsmith. Adjusting single action pull isn't too hard to do.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If there is one trend I have noticed in all my years of buying guns, it's don't buy a "new" gun until it has been on the market for about 5 years. I'm quite happy to let everyone else do the beta testing for me, but I know from experience it's pretty rare a manufacture gets it perfect the first time up at bat. Colt will eventually fix that. Until then, send it to a good gunsmith. Adjusting single action pull isn't too hard to do.
hesitant to send it off until I find someone reputable who has tuned many of these new colt pythons for better SA.

honestly I’d love a wider trigger. Was just pulling the target trigger/hammer of my s&w19-4 and wow that feels better. I’d like to send it off only once so a wider trigger with a good SA would be awesome. However I don’tt think that’s gonna happen any time soon

·
Premium Member
4,313 Posts
I must agree with you. Love the looks of the new Python for sure but have heard to many stories of underlying issues. Time will tell if these issues disappear. They really should at the going rate on cost.

·
Premium Member
4,313 Posts
Got it off with rubber mallet. That sucked. Yepp metal burrs. Super disappointing though considering how much it costs
There should have never been a reason that you had to use a rubber mallet to correct this issue. Colt really needs to step up their QC IMHO. There was no reason for that Python to have left the factory like that.

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
hesitant to send it off until I find someone reputable who has tuned many of these new colt pythons for better SA.

honestly I’d love a wider trigger. Was just pulling the target trigger/hammer of my s&w19-4 and wow that feels better. I’d like to send it off only once so a wider trigger with a good SA would be awesome. However I don’tt think that’s gonna happen any time soon
There is a gunsmith member on this forum who appears to have good experience with action jobs on the new guns.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Guns, automobiles, motorcycles, basically anything mechanical.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts