Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kicking around a project idea and wondering if a newer-model, factory parkerized Colt can be reblued by the factory.

I've learned enough here to know NOT to mess with an older, original Colt, but this one would just be a run-of-the-mill, modern 1911.

Can a parkerized finish be redone by the Colt factory Royal Blue?

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
Doc, I think it can as long as you can afford it.
One of the primary proceedures of obtaining a deep custom bluing is the amount of polishing the steel suface is given. The bluing salts are important, but so it the amount and skill of the polishing.

I don't think the 1991A1s were parkerized. I thought they had much less polished surfaces and maybe some mild bead blasting? That would tend to make the bluing resemble parkerizing to some extent.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

I have a basic understanding of the Colt bluing process, just not sure about this finish.

Like this one:

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
I really don't think these 1991A1s were parkerized. They just weren't polished as finely. The treatment looks similar to the dual tone bluing of the 1947-1954 revolvers except the entire Mod O pistol is rendered as matte.

I am sure if this is wrong somebody will come along and provide the correct info.

·
Registered
182 Posts
If you get Colt to do the "Royal Blue" job, it will look fantastic! Colt is kinda' pricey with their refinishing but it will look great. Other gunsmiths can also do the job for considerably less.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you get Colt to do the "Royal Blue" job, it will look fantastic! Colt is kinda' pricey with their refinishing but it will look great. Other gunsmiths can also do the job for considerably less.
Charlie, do you know for sure the gun pictured is a candidate for a Colt factory reblue job?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Not sure what ya' mean about being a "candidate"? They can do it and my recent catalog (2012) indicates it will cost you $325 and probably shipping. It would look great but I'd keep it out of a holster for the most part to keep it from wearing on the muzzle, etc. Standard blue is $250. Kinda' depends on what you plan on doing with it and how much you want to spend. If it was mine and it was going to be a "shooter", I'd seriously consider the hard chrome (brushed, not bright) finish and you'll never notice any wear. Just my two bits. Hard chrome refinish is $350. There are other refinishers that will do good jobs for less.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure what ya' mean about being a "candidate"?
I'm unfamiliar with the finish on the gun pictured and wasn't sure if it was parkerized or if Colt could do a reblue on it.

Thanks

·
Registered
182 Posts
Below is a picture of my Detective Special I had Colt do a few years ago (my avatar pic). Not really a good picture but they did a good job.
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
They can do a re-blue, the finish quality will depend on how much polishing they do to get the parkerizing off.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
IMG_0594.jpg IMG_0595.jpg IMG_0596.jpg IMG_0598.jpg IMG_0599.jpg

Here is one I just sold, A Colt 1911-A1 that was originally parkerized, then reblued to a very high luster. It was Belgium proofed and I think the blue may have been done there years ago. It sold for $1300.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts