Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I posted this in an old thread, but thought I'd go ahead and add it here too.

I inherited an old Officer's Model that my grandfather wanted to restore, and never got the chance. Since this seems like the knowledgeable place, I thought I'd see if anybody could give me any information about it. It has a 7 1/2 inch barrel, and the words "Officer's Model .38" are visible on the side, along with "Hartford CT" and some dates on the top. Everything else (including serial number) is too worn to read. The grips are obviously not original, and the cylinder is from a different gun altogether. I've talked to two gunsmiths about it. Neither of them have seen the gun in person, just pictures. The first said it could be over $500 to get it working again, and he didn't think it was worth it. The second thought he could fix it up for around $150. Any thoughts or information about it is appreciated.

DSC_0086.jpg DSC_0088.jpg DSC_0089.jpg

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
I'm not a gunsmith, nor play one on TV and didn't even sleep at a Holiday Inn Express recently but....dependent on your attachment to the revolver as it did belong to your grandfather, you could possibly invest the money to get the right parts and have it functional by a competent "Colt wise" gunsmith and then just shoot the heck out of it. If it was merely a project gun that dear old granddad was thinking about doing something with, and no attachment, sell it off as a parts gun and get an OM that's in need of nothing but oil and time at the range.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I buy and sell a few Colt revolvers and try to buy very nice original revolvers, I have sold very nice revolvers like yours in the $450.00 to $600.00 range so I wouldn't spend a lot on a gun worn as you have described unless it had great sentimental value and you intend to keep it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't say that this revolver has great sentimental value. Like MtnSpur said, it was just a project gun that my grandfather never got around to. I think it could be a nice looking gun, especially after seeing some on this forum in good condition, but I don't see spending $500+ to fix it up. At the same time, if it isn't some sacred piece of history that I'm worried about defiling, I may take it to the cheaper gunsmith and see what he can do with it.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
I can't say that this revolver has great sentimental value. Like MtnSpur said, it was just a project gun that my grandfather never got around to. I think it could be a nice looking gun, especially after seeing some on this forum in good condition, but I don't see spending $500+ to fix it up. At the same time, if it isn't some sacred piece of history that I'm worried about defiling, I may take it to the cheaper gunsmith and see what he can do with it.
I won't belabor the issue but right now you have $0 invested so IF the gunsmith that quoted you $150 or whatever can put her back into safe shooting condition (a prerequisite to anything else) then I say get his quote in writing, turnaround time and guarantee it'll be safe to fire and see what happens. The money is 1/2 what a pair of original Python "Gen 2" stocks are being offered on GB. More perspective, I filled up my Chevy Silverado which was running on fumes for $70 a few days ago :) . It's certainly not going to ruin the piece due to the fact that as it sits, it's a parts revolver.

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
If it has a decent bore and you can get it shooting for under$200 you will have a great shooter.

Jim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I have a small update here. I haven't even looked at this gun in months, but I started thinking about it again. I was able to find a serial number on the gun(13107) and if I understand correctly, that puts this gun being manufactured in 1935. I took it all apart, and there is some rust, but nothing serious. All of the internals seem to be working properly, albeit somewhat rough. I was told at one point that the cylinder was from a different caliber gun, but I've never confirmed that. To the naked eye, it looks ever so slightly larger than the barrel. I'm going to take it to a gun shop in the morning and see if they can verify that for me. If it is in fact the right cylinder, then the only part that is really broken is the crane. I've found a crane on ebay for less than $20 that I am going to bid on. Potentially, I could get this working for next to nothing!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts