Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this Viper for sale, but doubt the stats, hww many were made in 1977?

$750.00 Colt Viper .38Spec.,first Aluminum alloy pistol Colt made-only 167 were ever made & only 5 were sold to the Public. It is 99% of perfect due to the cylinder being rotated enough to make the usual ’ring’ round it. Has fired less than 50rds. in the 27 years I’ve owned it.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
The first part of the ad;"First Alloy Pistol"....by Colt is pure B.S!! Lightweight Commander .45 Auto & the Cobra were made for the general public at least 25 years earlier. About the only thing that the seller has right is the price,which figures;its top dollar for a NIB specimen,maybe even a rare(r) nickle one! This is a gun I would have to look over IN PERSON,very carefully,with the B.S. in this ad! They made more than 167-and I've seen 5 or 6 of the "less than 50 released to general public!" Talk about exaggerated advertising. Bud

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seemed a little over the edge to me. Guess I have one of the rare nickel ones...thanks to dad knowing good guns.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Pure BS. I have one, and know the whereabouts of 4 others within a 100 mile radius, so all five of the "public sales" must have been sold in southern Ohio....
Two were at the last PRO show in Columbus only a couple of aisles apart. One as new for 575.00, and the other for 550.00.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,904 Posts
TOTAL, complete, and utter BS from start to finish.

Colt's first aluminum pistol was the Commander of 1949.
The first aluminum revolver was the Cobra and Agent of 1950.

The Viper was a regular production pistol, with many more than 167 made.
It is a somewhat rare Colt, but not THAT rare.

"Only 5 sold to the public"????

So, Colt routinely made new models of revolvers, but DIDN'T sell them to the public??

"..in the 27 years I've owned it"???????

Nice trick, considering that the Viper was introduced in 1984. That's Eighty-four!!!

I'm not too swift on math, but that looks like he bought it SEVEN years before it was made.

I'd suspect about the only thing true about that ad, is the payment info.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dfariswheel
I thought the Viper was only made one year...77. Is that right or wrong?

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by imthduke:
dfariswheel
I thought the Viper was only made one year...77. Is that right or wrong?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right...The correct year for the Viper is 1977 and it was the only year it was produced.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ohiobuckeye, I sure would like to know of the almost new one to add to my collection if you have any information on or who to contact. Seems like a real good orice for my area....The Tampa Bay Area. Any help would be appreciated...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And also....if you have help on locating a Boa. Believe it or not...I called the guy offering the 05 and 06 Boas as a set for 3400. Was going to bid but he then jerked them of gunbroker...told me the orginal buyer he had borrowed the fund and bought them.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,904 Posts
Sorry, I'd just checked my older copy of the Standard Catalog, and they list the Viper as being made from 1977 through 1984.

Last night, I just mis-read the entry, and only saw the '84 info.

So, that means I was wrong.... the ad is only 95% BS.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wd357:
Ohiobuckeye, I sure would like to know of the almost new one to add to my collection if you have any information on or who to contact. Seems like a real good orice for my area....The Tampa Bay Area. Any help would be appreciated...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

E-mail sent.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by imthduke:
And also....if you have help on locating a Boa. Believe it or not...I called the guy offering the 05 and 06 Boas as a set for 3400. Was going to bid but he then jerked them of gunbroker...told me the orginal buyer he had borrowed the fund and bought them. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Email sent.

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
Either the seller is dishonest or ignorant. I have run into sellers who have been sold a bill of goods by another seller and are just repeating what they were told. Either way, what is stated is mostly wrong.

It is my belief that the Viper was made only in 1977, which means the seller could have owned if for the 27 years claimed. (I will have to check my catalog collection to see if the Viper was listed in more than the 1977 issue.)

I have never seen a production number for the Viper, but do not believe is was in the few hundreds as claimed, although there was not much of a market for a fixed sight medium frame revolver with a 4-inch barrel in 1977 during the "Wonder Nine" era. I would GUESS at maybe 1000 to 2000 maximum, with no basis for that guess except too many are around to have a production under 200. That would make it in the civilian Walker category for rarity!

To pick a nit with df, the Agent was not introduced until 1955 (The Book of Colt Firearms erroneously states 1962. The Wilson serial number charts repeat that error.). Only 65 Commanders were made in 1949, but in 1950 regular production did begin.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts