Colt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,446 Posts
Doesn't look like a factory gun...someone chopped a Commander or full-size rail gun down...frame, butt and slide. Something is funky with the serial number...that has to be a pre-1968 gun but Colt didn't start putting rails on them until maybe within the last decade. I'm not even sure the serial number looks right to begin with.

I wonder why it's being sold...does the seller need money or just trying to pass off a piece that doesn't function well or maybe is even contraband.

·
Registered
9,092 Posts
Looks to've been re-serial numbered, on top of being chopped.

There are better opportunities to spend money.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
This is posted twice. I think it may be a clone. In the Philippines they are common.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just got another pic. Aftef looking it up, I think it is a local copy

·
Premium Member
3,119 Posts
So it is a 3 inch with the defender slide. Still haven’t saw anything like it. I’d guess it’s a custom build but possibly not. Sure has been carried a bunch.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Here is a comparison. The horse is not even close.

1596241445777.jpeg

·
Premium Member
3,119 Posts
Yours is a MKIV series 80, this is a series 90 Defender. I do believe slide is original (with possible work?), the frame Is what’s so odd to me. DA Revolvers are my wheelhouse but I have had a few defenders and what not.

As Dogface said, I’d pass.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
The horse should be the same

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
It also looks like it was recovered from a fire. Notice that besides all the finish damage, the fiber optic insert is missing from the front sight.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,740 Posts
It's apparently fairly common to see faked up Colt pistols in the Philippines.
Genuine Colt's draw very large prices so people cobble together "Colt"s" using the locally made Armscor 1911 pistols and sell them as real Colt's.

Most of these fakes or "replicas" are crudely done, but some are difficult to detect.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
The Colt factory markings on the frame look good but the serial number sure doesn't. If the frame is a fake they did a good job on the markings. My guess is a heavily modified newer Colt frame with rail that has had the S/N re-applied.
I would still stay away from it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts