Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
colt upper.jpg traded an sks for what i was told was a brand new never fired colt ce1000 expanse with added fwrd asst and dust cover... i have never seen this mark on an upper receiver and i have searched and googled for about 12hrs and cant identify it. also the barrel is marked 5.56 NATO 1/7 P not 5.56 NATO 1/7 C P like others i see online. gun does look brand new and the upper fits lower perfectly everything about the barrel looks like the expanse except no C stamp. hoping someone can help me find out if i was ripped off or if some of the expanse M4 models were made like this. the BCG is stamped MP and looks just like the one in my 6920 just slightly different shade and not marked mpc.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Your forge mark on your Expanse upper receiver I had never ever seen before, interesting, looks like a spider.

Most of the Expanse CE1000 forge markings I had seen are the circle and keyhole (Cerro Forge), myself I have a Cerro keyhole forge on my Expanse CE1000 upper receiver that I bought back in March.

And on my upper rear takedown lug at the rear face is a small horizontal dash line about 1/10 of an inch long.

Sometimes the manufacturer that machined the upper marks the rear of the takedown lug, I used to have an LMT brand carbine and they marked it with the letter "L".

Here are the common forge marking symbols:

Splintered A - Anchor Harvey
Cardinal bird stylized head - Cardinal Forge
D stylized - Diemaco (now Colt of Canada)
Keyhole - Cerro Forge
O - unkown (maybe Aero Precision)
Square - Brass Aluminum Forging Enterprises

Also my barrel have the markings 5.56 NATO 1/7 C P (with the letter P is smaller than the C, about only half size).

Check also the diameter of the barrel under the handguards, mine and other same carbines are 0.750 inch outer diameter.

Here's a link of my Expanse carbine thread:

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/col...new-colt-expanse-model-ce1000-m4-carbine.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah i know the common marking and ive seen the list of forge marks countless times in my search. Even found your thread and read it before looking for info. Ive never seen my forge mark and my barrel does not have the C. Im just hoping someone can identify it im startimg to beleive someone has switched it out

·
Registered
191 Posts
I just bought a Colt Expanse 2000, it has that same forging mark you have. from what I read on the Colt web sight the difference between the CE1000 and the CE2000 is the 2000 has a forward assist, and a dust cover installed already. I have some friends that bought the CE1000 and has a dust cover and forward assist installed already, go figure. But my forging mark on the upper is the same as yours, call Colt they may be able to tell you the forge it is from.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Really?!?!?!! WOW i my bcg is also only marked MP not MPC like other expanse models, my barrel is marked 5.56 NATO 1/7 P no C anywhere like the others. I took the hand guards off and there is a G stamp on the barrel way up under the gas tube. 20160907_014522.jpg 20160907_014623.jpg 20160907_014729.jpg 20160907_014804.jpg does the rest of your parts look like mine?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Over on the M4carbine web site there is a post about seeing this forge mark, it is a crab, on a CE2000. The gun was nib at the LGS but the LGS owner and buyer were skeptical because there was also paint on the lower, what he called "ears" where the trigger guard roll pin goes. But the gun came out of the box and a couple more expanses had the paint but we're not carrying the same crab like forge mark. I would call colt and ask but unless their is a conspiracy to take expanse lowers and and marrying them to way cheaper uppers to pass them off as colt that is a lot of trouble to go through for an already inexpensive rifle. You have a colt lower so I say don't worry, just shoot the thing.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I had been following the Expanse model late last year even before they had introduced it at Shot Show last January, with the subject of the bolts they come in two variants, marked MPC and MP only without the C, the ones without the C are made by suppliers for Colt using the exact materials, manufacturing process, and inspection per the Colt Technical Data Package (TDP) same as the military weapons.

Your barrel with the G marking means it was made by a supplier Green Mountain barrels, Colt had used them before on 6920 and 6940 barrels (maybe even more models), that's why it doesn't have the C mark, they're made exactly the same as other Colt barrels per the TDP and mil-specs (except non chrome lined, no individual high pressure test proof (HPT), and no magnetic particle inspection (MPI)).

The barrel extension you have shows the 4 mark on the 3 o'clock location, those are Colt markings which means that part was made by the Colt factory, some barrel extensions like mine and others don't have this 4 mark.

Another difference with the regular Colt standard models are the forward assist of the Expanse does not have this hole and roll pin of the forward assist button (shown in my pic).

Forward assist buttons without this roll pin are not mil-spec and are commercial type, they should work fine but not as robust as the military type with the roll pin.

Your carbine have this round end of the two piece magazine catch which is a standard Colt part, mine and other earlier Expanse didn't have it, ours are one piece mag catch same as firearms from Colt Competition Rifles made in Texas.

My own personal opinion is your carbine is genuine made by the same factory that made the earlier models, except with slightly different parts configuration.

The upper of the Expanse have so many cost savings parts which makes it possible to meet their target low price point to compete with the competition's budget models.

Comparing the Expanse and the competition's models, the Colt have better specs in my opinion, that's why I bought my Expanse instead of the S&W M&P Sport carbine (which I almost bought earlier).

The lower receivers of the Expanse I'm glad still uses the LE6920, and uses the standard mag catch, if owners want to upgrade it to the 6920 level they could just replace the hammer, selector and use a H buffer.

I'm very satisfied with my CE1000 performance so far and my personal preference upgrades, I'm using my upgraded lower half as my main home defense carbine with my older 6920 upper half.

My Expanse upper half I'm using as a range toy and plinker using my other 6920 lower, and two 6721 lower half.

Just clean yours well, lube, take her out and enjoy it.

·
Registered
378 Posts
All the expanse model forge marks I have seen were cerro forge keyhole. They may have picked a different vendor. 6 of one half dozen of the other.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok thanks for the information guys. i have a 6920 and love it. have not shot my expanse yet but it will be my main shooting gun because i want to preserve my 6920.

·
Registered
368 Posts
ok thanks for the information guys. i have a 6920 and love it. have not shot my expanse yet but it will be my main shooting gun because i want to preserve my 6920.
It's your rifle and you can do as you please of course, but I'm always confused about the need to buy a different, cheaper rifle so as to "preserve" a 6920. The 6920s weren't some rare, hand-crafted firearm... they're a mass-produced tool and they made 1.6 gajillion of them. Just shoot it and enjoy it. If you're like most folks you'll never come anywhere close to wearing it out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes i understand what your saying, i traded a sks for the expanse... the 6920 might not be a rare gem ( mine is the hawk edition they had a few years back for 1700$ and is like new... but when you have 2000$ in a gun and you want to keep it nice to pass to your children why not put the wear and tear on the cheaper gun that is basically the same?

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
You traded an SKS for the Expanse? You definitely got the better part of the deal!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Guess where I found that crab forge mark.......sitting on my brand new right out of the box Colt Competition Rifle. So if you think you were taken on yours then I was really taken on my deal for what I paid for the CRE 18T. I will ask the colt competition guys here in Texas whose forge mark that is. But relax if it's on my CCR it can't be that bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
The crab forge mark is from the Ulven forge which has been around since 1971. And is an approved official Colt vendor and appears on other Colt competition rifles.....so says my contact at Colt competition rifles in Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts