Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My grandfather passed away earlier this week and he left me this gun. I know nothing about it but I believe it is a Colt Navy Revolver. The serial number is 18xxxx. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2012-05-13 20.03.04.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,463 Posts
If it's 44 caliber it's a 1860 colt army revolver. The 1861 colt navy was in 36 caliber.

You can go to

ProofHouse.com

and find the serial number date list for it and figure out what year it was made.

Reactions: jsthom83

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. I have another question. When I first picked it up and cocked the hammer and pulled the trigger everything seemed operational but when I got it home something must have broke in travel. Now when I cock the hammer it feels slack. The cylinder rotates but when you pull the trigger the hammer does not fire. Any ideas? Thanks again for all your help.

·
Premium Member
4,463 Posts
The main spring that is under the grips that puts pressure on the hammer may have broken.

·
Premium Member
4,463 Posts
Not broken, just came loose! Thanks for the help. You are the man!!!!!!
That's great......finding original parts for the cap and ball might be a toughie!

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
With the rebated cylinder, it's the 44 caliber Model 1860 Army even though it has the naval battle scene on the cylinder. The vast majority of these were purchased by the US Government during the Civil War.

John Gross

·
Premium Member
1,831 Posts
Abit difficult to tell from the photos but looks like it's in good shape. Boy, what I wouldn't give to have received something like that from my grandfather. Appears that you've got a real family treasure there.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Some close ups of any markings and/or numbers would be nice. It would help to pin point what you have - plus we all want to see the great shape it appears to be in. That is a nice family heirloom you recieved.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
This is a standard 3-screw "civilian" model manufactured around 1869. Difficult to tell by the photos but judging by the condition of the grips I would say the barrel and cylinder may have been refinished. The screw which holds the wedge in place is missing.

Rio

1 - 10 of 10 Posts