Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I forum member suggested I try converting a Colt Trooper to .44 special with my Newservice .44 special barrel & cylinder.

This can't be done can it...are the barrel threads compatibable, what about the cylinder fitting in the frame.

Any imput appreciated.

Jim

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
44 & 45; My dream gun has been an E/I frame Colt,such as the old style Trooper,in 10mm. I've done careful measurements of this cylinder & it won't work-safely-and I think even a 40 S&W,in some factory loadings would be unsafe with the paper thin cylinder walls. No,I don't want a 5 shot either. Before someone mentions the old .41 Colt,their cases are narrower than the 10 mm/.40 SW. I say all this,because I have always felt that the pre-war N Frames S&Ws,with out ant bbl. ribs and non magna stocks,are more like the E/I frame Colts;at least to my hands.Here are your measurements,as I am "miking" these out. Old Model Trooper .357: barrel shank-.510,cylinder length-1.557 cyl. width-1.45. A .44 Special New Service; barrel shank;.600 cyl. length-1.635 cyl width-1.80. These are "rough",but its obvious this is a "no go"!!! If the large grip size of the N.Service,it is possible to have the butt "ground down" to fit E/I frame stocks-BUT I wouldn't do this on a "collector" grade gun. Bud

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Lonewolf...for your detailed analysis on the Trooper frame.

I rather had my doubts about this being possible, as the .357 guns of colt with the exception of the Newservice are just not big enough to handle a full size .44 special cylinder.

Also doubt if there are any 5 shot cylinders out there as an after market item in .44 special.

Thanks for your conclusions on the subject.

44and45

[This message has been edited by 44and45 (edited 11-10-2004).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts