Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me a quick rundown on Colt Revos? I know some are steel, some are alloy, etc. but I have no idea which is what and which are more desireable, better actions, barrel lengths, etc.

Cobra
King Cobra
Anaconda
Diamondback
Python
Python Elite
Trooper
???

[This message has been edited by DHart (edited 02-28-2005).]

·
Registered
448 Posts
DHart, hopefully one of the experts will come by to elaborate on your question. Until then I will give you my limited info.

Cobra= Detective Special with alloy frame, made from 1950-1981.
Agent= Cobra with shorter grip frame and grip, made from 1955-1986.
Python= made from 1955-1996. After 1996 they are made in Custom Shop.
Trooper=original Trooper made from 1953-1969. It was basically a lower cost version of the Colt .357. They both are the same frame and action of the Colt Python.
Trooper MK III and MK V are not the same quality gun as the original Trooper.

Many of the real high quality Colts were discontinued in 1969. That doesn't mean that the later ones aren't quality, its just that they are built to be less labor intensive. Some of their exceptionaly good guns were continued into the 80s such as the Detective Special.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I forgot to mention that the Detective Special was reintroduced in 1993? to 1995. The DSII was introduced in 1997, but it doesn't have the same lock work.
Diamondback= Detective Special made up to resemble a Python. The lockwork and frame is a DS.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Also, the Colt Viper needs to be added to DHart's list! It was made in 1977 only! It is like a Cobra but, with a four inch barrel! The frame is aluminum alloy! It is the same D-frame! Same lockwork(Shared by the guns mentioned by M2HB above)! Then, you also need to add the Colt Police Positive Special(Later was called just the Police Positive, in it's last incarnation(With a full barrel shroud))and this revolver, looked just like the Colt Viper(Except was all steel)and was last made in the early to mid 1990's(I don't remember the exact last date made, right now?)! I didn't mention any of the older D-frames(Detective Special, Police Positive Special, etc.!)without the barrel shroud(Since I know that DHart prefers the fully shrouded barrel, on the D-frame colt's)!

The King Cobra, was made in both stainless and blued! The lockwork was like the Trooper Mark V(Which was a slightly updated Trooper Mark III lockwork)and is again, different than on the early Troopers and Python(And other older Colt revolvers, such as the Officer's target models, etc.)!

The Annaconda is a stainless revolver, that is a big bore gun, that resembles the fully lugged appearance of the King Cobra! It is similar in size to the Ruger Redhawk!

[This message has been edited by Colt38 (edited 03-01-2005).]

·
Registered
807 Posts
Although the Trooper Mark III and Mark V, are not the same quality as the earlier Colt Troopers, they are known to be an even stronger revolver(Even stronger, supposedly, than an Ruger GP100, which is pretty Darned strong!)! But the quality, was still very good on these later Troopers(Just not quite as good as on the older Troopers!)but better than many competitive revolvers, made in the same time frame!

Lastly, the Colt model .357, was Colt's premium revolver(Prior to the introduction of the Python, in 1955)and, has been called the "Granddaddy" of the Python(Or, a Pre-Python!)due to it's quality fiting and quality build!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey M2HB... nice to see ya here! Thanks for the info. I'm just a bit curious about the various Colt revo models... ;-)=

So the Cobra has an alloy frame, what about the King Cobra... same thing but in all steel?

Colt38... you read me right! I prefer the looks of the more recent models vs. the old style models.

This is all a little confusing, unfortunately... I just don't have the Colt revo thing down in my head.

I know the Anaconda is a larger frame for larger calibers (not really interested in going there.)

I really love the Dick Spl, but not sure if I want to add another Colt revo... if I did, I think I'd like it to be something like this:

• small to medium steel frame
• 2", 3", possible 4" barrel
• .357 caliber

What Colt revo would fill that bill nicely? The Magnum Carry sounds like a nice gun (if I could find one), but is there another model?

·
Registered
448 Posts
DHart, in the Colt line if you want a .357 you MUST have a Python. They are what I would consider a medium frame and they are the "Cadillac" of revolvers. It is the only Colt left with the expensive lock work. The King Cobra is nothing like the original alloy framed Cobra (Detective Special). I think it has a larger frame and doesn't have the Python type, hand fitted lock work. I think that their names are confusing because it makes you think that they are similar when they aren't. I think that the Python is similar in size to the K frame Smiths, however it is smoother, but probably not as strong of an action. I have both and nothing compares to the look of a Python. For collection purposes my Python is near the top of the list, however if I had to choose one revolver for everything I needed it would be a S&W 627 eight shot with a 5" barrel. Its much stronger than a Python, it just doesn't have that classic look or hand fitting.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
The light weight Cobra is a small frame revolver and the King Cobra is a stell medium frame revolver.
There has been very few choices for snub .357mag revolvers from Colt. The Magnum Carry like you mentioned, The Python, and limited runs of King Cobras.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like if anything, the Python would be the way to go... but how in the heck does one start to look for a Python when one knows nothing about them?

All I know is that I'd like a 2", 2.5", 3", or 4"... beyond that I have no clue as to what years/series, etc. Did Colt change the gun over time? What should I be looking for? Thanks so much.

·
Registered
807 Posts
DHart:

Go to www.proofhouse.com and search for Colt Python to print out a listing of serial numbers through 1978! You can also find listings for other Colt revolvers there! This will enable you to know whenever certain Python's were made based upon any given serial number! Lastly, for any serial numbers beyond 1985, you would need to call Colt! There are some Colt books, that will show the serial number range after 1978 through 1985! It might be in the Wilson Colt Book? I don't have that book-so, somebody might chime in here and give you the exact book reference for this?

The Python's are basically the same design for all years made. The first Python's had fully checkered target stocks and a taller top barrel rib. Generally, the older Python's up to around 1969, are considered to be of the best quality and finish! All Python's are top of the line! However the quality is not as good generally, compared to the older Python's(But, you have to look at each individual Python(Regardless of year made))as there were good and bad Python's made in any given year! If it looks good to you, then, it will probably be a good one!

The Python was made in several barrel lengths-but, since you don't want anything longer than four-inch, then, the common barrel lengths were 2-1/2" and 4"! However, there were limited production runs of a 3" barrel length(Much harder to find!)!

The stainless Python's were introduced in 1983! The newer Python Elite's were also stainless!

·
Registered
448 Posts
DHart, I have a new 1965 Python which has excellent quality. Obviously I don't shoot it. There is nothing as nice in a revolver as a pristine Royal Blue Python, however when they are well used they start looking rough. I think a SS Python would look better over time even though in new condition I like the Royal Blue finish better. I don't know if they even make the "Royal Blue" finish anymore.

·
Registered
909 Posts
You might want to check out the Lawman MK III with the 2" barrel, also. Fixed sights, .357, medium frame, not as delicate as the Python.

G

·
0 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by M2HB:
DHart, I have a new 1965 Python which has excellent quality. Obviously I don't shoot it. There is nothing as nice in a revolver as a pristine Royal Blue Python, however when they are well used they start looking rough. I think a SS Python would look better over time even though in new condition I like the Royal Blue finish better. I don't know if they even make the "Royal Blue" finish anymore.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From a shooter view point, I can't call any gun "a good one" unless I know it shoots like it was intended to. So, I guess I'm an accumulator and not a collector?

·
Registered
778 Posts
I'm with you S.B., if we buy it we shoot it. The only time this might not happen was if we were to aquire an old SSA, or another old fragle revolver that it just did not make sense to shoot. We buy just mostly 98% used 50's thru 80's revolvers of the 3 major makes. I must say some of the Colts are of the best workmanship. Have not found the right Python yet, and better hurry as the prices are getting scary. Best to you all, Robba

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I like to shoot all of my guns, though I do have a few of them which I make very, very light use of.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts