Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know for sure the following:Can an individual in California send a handgun to an FFL in another state (the FFL in another state has a CA FFL license).What is best to use, UPS or FedEx..Tried to Google an answer but exact scenario of private CA individual to out state FFL with license in that state and CA, didn't come up.Need to know ASAP, thanks.

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
Notwithstanding any other provision in either state prohibiting you to do so, Yes you can use either Fed-Ex or UPS to Overnight a handgun to an FFL Dealer in another state. Make sure to include a copy of your Ca. D.L.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I have just heard stories of California being so difficult to get a gun with their laws. Maybe it is harder to get a gun into CA rather than getting one out.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Federal law allows an individual to ship a handgun to an FFL in another state via FedEx or UPS. FedEx will allow shipping from any FedEx/Office FedEx/Kinkos, etc. UPS will not ship from a UPS Store, only from a "hub." Both must be shipped Priority Overnight (expensive, but what else are you going to do?).

I have FedEx to much easier to ship from than UPS. UPS always seems to give me a hassle while FedEx only gives me a hassle every once in awhile when the person helping me doesn't know the law or their employer's policy or is just anti-gun to begin with.

The easiest way I have found is to pre-address the FedEx shipping label to the FFL you're sending the handgun to before you ship. I pick up labels and boxes at FedEx and then have them at home.

Once the label is all filled out, I present the sealed box, the label, and a photocopy of the FFL and I say, "Hello. I'm shipping a disassembled old handgun to a Federal Firearm Licensed business. Here is a copy of the FFL that matches the address on the label, I know FedEx wants you to see that."

"Disassembled and old" seems to calm the people at FedEx.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Thanks, I have just heard stories of California being so difficult to get a gun with their laws. Maybe it is harder to get a gun into CA rather than getting one out.
Easy to send a gun out of Ca. In is harder.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Nothing in California law prohibits an individual in California from personally shipping a pistol, rifle or shotgun to an out of state FFL.

Nothing in California law prohibits an individual from out of state personally shipping any pistol, rifle or shotgun to a California FFL. Out of state FFLs do have a hoop to jump through when they ship to a California FFL.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
It is not hard to ship to Calif.! Just join their system and fill out a one item form that says if you are shipping a handgun or long gun. That is it. Too easy!

·
Premium Member
4,310 Posts
Some states prohibit individuals from sending guns to FFLs in that state. New York is one. There may be others. In the case of New York, the gun must be send by an FFL holder. I have run into this several times when selling a gun to a New Yorker.

- - -Buckspen

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Some states prohibit individuals from sending guns to FFLs in that state. New York is one. There may be others. In the case of New York, the gun must be send by an FFL holder. I have run into this several times when selling a gun to a New Yorker.

- - -Buckspen
This is apparently not true? I have sent a handgun to a store-front sporting goods dealer FFL for transfer to a NY state resident who bought it from me actually through the forum. At first they were reluctant to simply per their policy as we have discussed before, but relented as he was a good customer and they had received from individuals for him before. I think they are just very nervous with good reason. I do believe that a handgun going out of the state must be sent by an FFL however. :cool:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nothing in California law prohibits an individual from out of state personally shipping any pistol, rifle or shotgun to a California FFL. Out of state FFLs do have a hoop to jump through when they ship to a California FFL.
Unfortunately, the "CA DOJ Roster of Handguns Certified For Sale" does in fact limit the shipment of 'any' pistol to a California FFL for purchase by the average CA citizen (aka - non-LEO). If it's not on the roster, the FFL cannot accept it for me. The only way for us poor slobs here to acquire non-roster firearms is via PPT b/n two CA residents at an FFL.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts