Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of buying a vintage rifle [no money sent yet] from an individual. He says he can ship it thru USPS if I send him a copy of the FFL holder of the gun shop I will be having it sent to. The local guy at our post office said that would be a bad idea, with no FFL to FFL paperwork on it it stands to be opened & inspected and they do not care about doing it carefully or damaging it. Would appreciate some expert advice.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,671 Posts
Last I heard, you can ship a rifle TO an FFL holder through the USPS, and the sender doesn't need an FFL.

I've never heard anything about the Post Office opening the box to inspect it.
I believe it's against USPS regulations to mark the box with anything that indicates it contains a firearm.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
In Texas, we can ship long guns intrastate without an FFL through the post office. Your state may be the same but you'll need to check. Also, it may be up to your FFL whether they accept shipment from a C&R. My FFL will not.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
If the "vintage" rifle was made prior to 1899 it does not need to go to an FFL.
tdennis
It is not antique, it is a Steven's Walnut Hill target rifle, so just vintage old, my 2 previous purchases were true antique & love having them shipped direct to me. We are not in the same state, my FFL guy accepts a gun for me from individuals.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Last I heard, you can ship a rifle TO an FFL holder through the USPS, and the sender doesn't need an FFL.

I've never heard anything about the Post Office opening the box to inspect it.
I believe it's against USPS regulations to mark the box with anything that indicates it contains a firearm.
All newly made firearms are packed with the user's manual which almost always indicates that should the arm require return to the factory, it may be shipped to them via USPS, no FFL's involved.

How they ship back, I dunno!

jaroslav

1 - 8 of 8 Posts