Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Howdy,
First post, I hope the way I did the pic is acceptable. If not, please advise and I won't do it again. Had my first Python in 1975 when I was 21. Had to let it go during hard times. It came to me as a 2.5 inch Royal Blue but I shot it loose very quickly AND found a brand new 6 inch barrel for $50 back then, so I shipped it all to Colt to install, tighten action and reblue. It came back nickel-plated! Colt tried very hard to convince me to just accept a brand new blued model but I declined and sent it back. Needless to say, after going through the buffing and prep process at 3 times, the finish was something to see! Anyway, I "sort of" have my hands on a stand-in for it (actually numbered within 300 guns of my original number although the original was sent to SC and the current one to PA. Strange but I like it.) It has what are most likely factory grips although I'm no expert. Far from perfect if they are. Would like to replace them for the guy or myself, whichever of us ends up with it. It was made, according to the online lookup, in 1972 just like my original. The grips for that original were long gone before I sold it back in the late 80s. I can't recall if these were what it had or not. Actually, though, if these are legit I will take them regardless if the generation does not match the gun. I did notice the screw "receptacle" is not blued, appears maybe even stainless. Is that a 19big issue? I have lurked here for a long time and I know there is an incredible amount of information here. Any help would truly be appreciated!

EDIT: Thanks for the speedy reply, Gatewayad! It crossed my mind after posting the pic that it may and may not be alright to post the Gunbroker ad it came from, which would have more info. After looking around I see other times when someone posted the URL for a GB as with no ill effect. I'll take a chance and do that now, hoping that it may help to complement your original reply. I do appreciate it! Here is the URL:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=536541340

Like I said, I'm no expert but they look OK to me. The ones one the gun have the straight cut across the top of the checkering and that may be important as it was supposedly made in 1972 instead of the original incorrect year I posted (and fixed, I think) in the original question. They both say 1972 or maybe 1975. I'm pretty certain that mine was not made that close (1975) to my buying it. It seems much more likely it was built in 1972. I have a letter coming for both (in 100 days or so) therefore I will be certain when that happens. The numbers were freaky close together, being E448XX and E448XX, less than 300 units apart. Just a heck of a happy coincidence. Thanks again for your info and anything anyone cares to add will be appreciated! End of EDIT.

Thanks,
Emore

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Those are Gen 2 grips a little earlier than 1975 but if a good deal buy them and you easily can trade them for Gen 3 grips. By 1975 the grips looked a touch different instead of the curves at the top of the checkering it was cut straight across and the "thumb slot" or whatever you call it was the same on both the right and left grip other than that they are pretty much the same size and look (found this online) this is correct for 1975
pix636062400.jpg

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
If the gun you want them for is a '72 then the grips you pictured would be correct. If the gun is a '75 then you would need the "3rd gen" grips. I have a '75 and it came with the "3rd gen" grips.

The screw and bushing in the pair you pictured are nickel. They originally came on a nickel Python. Finding a set of grips with the original nickel hardware is a hard thing to do, and to get them for an honest price is even harder.

Either way, those grips will work for any Python, no matter what era. However, they might possibly not match in style depending on what era Python you put them on.

Considering there is a reserve on those grips, I would imagine that you will have to almost pay the BIN price in order to get them because the reserve is probably about $10 lower. They're a Colt product and people have to squeeze every last cent out of 'em. You can do better if you watch ebay and don't get in a hurry.

Reactions: TFlyboy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the gun you want them for is a '72 then the grips you pictured would be correct. If the gun is a '75 then you would need the "3rd gen" grips. I have a '75 and it came with the "3rd gen" grips.

The screw and bushing in the pair you pictured are nickel. They originally came on a nickel Python. Finding a set of grips with the original nickel hardware is a hard thing to do, and to get them for an honest price is even harder.

Either way, those grips will work for any Python, no matter what era. However, they might possibly not match in style depending on what era Python you put them on.

Thank you for that input! I'm not terribly concerned about the upper line change in checkering placement as much as I am about the nickel bushing. It seems it may clash with a blue gun. I wonder if I could find someone in a similar but opposite position that would swap for a blue bushing set... Those are pretty long odds but I may have to consider it. Anyone know if the bushing could be successfully removed, blued and replaced without ruining them? Seems like another very long shot. Thanks again!

Emore

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Thank you for that input! I'm not terribly concerned about the upper line change in checkering placement as much as I am about the nickel bushing. It seems it may clash with a blue gun. I wonder if I could find someone in a similar but opposite position that would swap for a blue bushing set... Those are pretty long odds but I may have to consider it. Anyone know if the bushing could be successfully removed, blued and replaced without ruining them? Seems like another very long shot. Thanks again!

Emore
The bushing can be removed, but it has to be done delicately in order to not splinter the surface layers. Blued hardware is not hard to find, I actually have about two sets. If you can't do it yourself, about $40 or so, one of our forum members will do the work for you. Contact Swamprat.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Please don't alter those grips. I need a set of gen2 nickel. If anyone has a set please pm me.
He needs a set of 3rd gen. grips with blued hardware. If you got a pair, ask him to swap you.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Anyone know if the bushing could be successfully removed, blued and replaced without ruining them
Don't do that. You will probably damage them. Plus your stocks are in demand from knowledgeable Python collectors.

Use them, swap them, or sell them here or on ebay and use the money for a correct set for your gun.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Don't do that. You will probably damage them. Plus your stocks are in demand from knowledgeable Python collectors.

Use them, swap them, or sell them here or on ebay and use the money for a correct set for your gun.
Sounds like solid advice. Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts