Colt Forum banner

Can someone please explain this to me?

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Catbird 
#1 ·
I sincerely want to learn more about Colt DA/SA revolvers. Can someone explain what made this revolver so desireable as to sell for over $600? I would have paid $250 max, but I'm just a Colt newbie. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

See less See more
#2 ·
@ Catbird,

What model of revolver are you referring to?
What is it's condition, finish, serialnumber to determine year of production?

You don't give us much to go on here, so please can you be a bit more specific?

#3 ·

Oh, no... I feel so stoopid!!!

I meant to include a link to a GUNBROKER item that <u>was</u> in my "Watch List" that sold earlier today. Without thinking, I deleted the item before I copied the link to my above post. SHUCKS!!

Anyway, to my untrained eye, it looked like a run-of-the-mill early Detective Special with unshrouded barrel in average condition. As I recall, the beginning price was a tad over $100.

Oh well, nevermind. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

#6 ·
It is also a 1933 gun,by the serial number,with what appears to be a POST WAR barrel! Note the ramp sight. Pre Wars,and some square butts turned out for the military during the war,had the rounded 1/2 moon sight.

Boy,think I will hold on to my little 1931,square butt D.S. that resides in a desk drawer. Not original,as previous owner widened rear notch and had wider front patridge blade put on due to vision going south.

Prices on these little gems are increasing!

Bud

#7 ·
[ QUOTE ]
It is also a 1933 gun,by the serial number,with what appears to be a POST WAR barrel! Note the ramp sight. Pre Wars,and some square butts turned out for the military during the war,had the rounded 1/2 moon sight.

Bud

[/ QUOTE ]
whats your opinion?? parts cleanup gun or has it been modified?? 1933 dom should have round butt shouldn`t it?

#8 ·
Note what I mentioned in my original post--about some D.S. being made for the military during W.W. Two,so even though the "book" says 1933 for rounded butt,would have NO problem getting a square butt,as the P.P.S. frame was still square butt.

No idea as to it being a parts clean up,but pretty damm long for a frame to hang around "the Blue Dome".!!!

Could even be a Police Positive Special,with a post war D.S. bbl screwed on!!.. Lets see,P.P.s for about $250 tops,early post war D.S. bbl. form eBay,for lets say $50 tops. And seller got over $600 for it???!!!

Sure would be easier for Colt collectors IF they had serialled the bbls, like the earlier S&Ws were!!!

If serial # was during W.W. Two,I'd be inclined to think it was one that the Army rebarreled in the 50's and had markings removed,but it also doesn't look refinished. Tried to trade a French MAS 1935 .32 "long" semi auto,that I captured while in Air Force Security in 'Nam for one of these rebarreled D.S.s that an Army Medivac Huey pilot carried,but he didn't dare to. So I was content to carry a pretty well pitted Tula Tokarev for my "BUG" while on duty,and when "downtown".

Bud

#11 ·
You learned guys continue to amaze me with your knowledge of old Colts.

It does a lot to keep folks like us out of trouble. We are very careful of what we buy, but as just shown in this auction, there are some foolers out there.

Just bought a 99% 1932 square butt D.S. at a gun shop in the boonies a week ago. The owner thought it was a 60's gun much to our benefit.

Thanks for your continued vigilance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.