Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I don't really understand why if you have a Colt Python and it can be inspected, that you really need the manual and box. I see people selling fake boxes on sites for a lot of money, this does not make sense to me? to me my pistol is no less valuable if I don't have the box. I have a manual not the original from colt as I believe you should try to give a manual with the Gun if selling it at least for safety. also would not a letter from the archives be good enough if you want to see where the pistol has been? I just don't understand.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Some folks think having the paperwork is essential to enjoying ownership.

Others don't.

Some use lack of box/documents as a bargaining device in hopes you will downsize your asking price.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I guess I don't really understand why if you have a Colt Python and it can be inspected, that you really need the manual and box. I see people selling fake boxes on sites for a lot of money, this does not make sense to me? to me my pistol is no less valuable if I don't have the box. I have a manual not the original from colt as I believe you should try to give a manual with the Gun if selling it at least for safety. also would not a letter from the archives be good enough if you want to see where the pistol has been? I just don't understand.
You are dealing with people's individual beliefs of what is or is not important to them ...

As a collector I want an example to be as complete and correct as possible for my collection ... that means an original box and paperwork ... Its just what I do with my collection. I know others don't care...

You are just dealing with what is and what isn't important to each individual ...

Take your example of the above Python for instances ... I look at a Python and say why would anyone consider this to be something collectible... It's modern! I remember when it first came out! Who cares...

But I do recognize that there are many people who DO care and they DO collect them ... Its just a fact of life ... people like different things ... That's why ... Just my opinion! :) Bob

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Boxes

I agree with Bob (ColtDAGuy). I have a collection of Colt Frontier Scout, Buntline Scout, Peacemaker .22 and New Frontier .22 revolvers. I only shoot one or two, the rest are my "safe queens".
For my collection guns, I like to have the original boxes and papers and any other items that pertain to the guns (cleaning brushes, screwdrivers, advertisements, holsters (Colt only, please) and so on). My collection is solely for my own enjoyment and I get a lot of pleasure in searching out new items and all the little details.

As a matter of business, there must be many folks like me, which is why there is a such a big market in old pistol boxes. I deplore the counterfeiting of boxes and papers, but there isn't much I can do about it except not to buy them and expose them as fakes whenever I see them. When the demand is high, dishonest people are going to find a way to make a buck out if it. Look at the big market in bogus knives!

- - - Buckspen

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I am agreeing with what you all are saying, but, and I am Not trying to start an argument to some a collectible is not worth buying such as the python it self to some unless it comes with the papers and box? To me my pistol would be worth just as much. Your replies are interesting as I am new to this, so don't get me wrong I am just trying to reason this out. My Python is dated at the end of 1982 and beginning of 1983 I can see why some box's and papers might be missing but the pistol is in great condition to me it would be well worth the money. Keep the replies coming and thank you for your help!-Gary

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
I dont really care if a gun has it's original box,if its newer than about 1948. Now, if it has the original test target from Colt, then I would be interested in it. I do have a couple boxes that came with used guns i bought. I kept them because I know they may add to the value IF I ever had to sell the guns. I dont mind the little brown colt det. spl. boxes. They are too big so they dont take up much room. The new great big blue colt boxes are huge, though and take up alot of room.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
it all depends on what you want the gun for. if you want the gun for shooting, the box is no added value. i've got some boxes that came with guns but the fact that the box came with it had no bearing on whether or not i was buying.

if you're collecting -- anything -- original packaging is very important. those who collect barbie dolls, for example, or beanie babies will pay twice as much or more for one that has the original packaging, and sealed package examples, those that don't have the cellophane broken, can be worth many times with the doll alone would bring.

for the most part, the counterfeiting and discussions about boxes tend to come up when discussing the colt python model. i don't get it either.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Gary it seems to all relate to the intrinsic value of the item. To some the gun is not complete without the proper box and papers. To others the gun has value unto itself and need not be embellished.

For what it's worth, this is not isolated to gun collectors. I have a modest collection of the original GI Joe dolls, and my wife has a collection of certain Wizard of Oz dolls. The value of either item is escalated considerably if the original box and/or wrapping is present. (If the item has never been removed from the original packaging, holy cow!)

I belong to the camp that I appreciate my possessions for what they are, and they need not be embellished by cartons or booklets. But to each his own. I can appreciate seeing the pristine examples (with all the trappings) that some of these collectors have.

·
Registered
5,359 Posts
Gary it seems to all relate to the intrinsic value of the item. To some the gun is not complete without the proper box and papers. To others the gun has value unto itself and need not be embellished.

For what it's worth, this is not isolated to gun collectors. I have a modest collection of the original GI Joe dolls, and my wife has a collection of certain Wizard of Oz dolls. The value of either item is escalated considerably if the original box and/or wrapping is present. (If the item has never been removed from the original packaging, holy cow!)

I belong to the camp that I appreciate my possessions for what they are, and they need not be embellished by cartons or booklets. But to each his own. I can appreciate seeing the pristine examples (with all the trappings) that some of these collectors have.
Man, I wish I had all the GI Joe stuff I had as a kid. I had all the stuff with the foot locker. Most of the GI Joes met hapless fates - one got burned at the stake, and another went scuba diving in an old cistern by the house - he's still in there and paved over. Oh well I was much much younger then!As far as boxes and such - I have boxes for some of my Colts and others I don't - I do shoot all the guns I have - eventually. Some sit quite awhile between shoots due to the number of guns involved and I keep going back to certain favorites.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Collecting aside........

Anytime you buy a gun with no box or paperwork it is my opinion that you take a greater chance that the gun was stolen at some point in it's life.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
There are some that will seperate an original box from the correct gun just because there has been so much interest (market) in original boxes in the last few years. I feel it is almost a sin of greed to do this.

Once you begin collecting Colts, the boxes start to become important to you. I would probably pay a little more for a gun that has the original box these days. Years ago, I trashed my boxes because they take up a lot of room and if you don't care much about them, they tend to get banged up. Yes, I have boxes of boxes now. All are in sealed plastic bags. Isn't life grand!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts