Colt Forum banner

Can the custom shop produce a SAA in just about any caliber?

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  CraigC 
#1 ·
Maybe thats a dumb question. Some might think this sounds goofy (maybe it is!) But I kinda like 32NP, and I like SAAs, so I got to wondering what it would be like to combine the two....

#2 ·
I believe they only make them in the standard calibers, ie; 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 44 Spl, 44-40, 38-40, 38 Spl, 32-20. You could take a 32-20 and have the cylinder sleeved to 32Np, or maybe have a cylinder made in that caliber.

Reactions: 11866
#6 ·
Like the rest of the single actions come from where ? the assembly line. Glad they are still making them ,but come on a year and a half to 2 years to get one? Was gong to order a New Frontier ,but couldn't even get someone to return my call,and yes I did leave a message for someone at Colt who is a forum member.

#10 · (Edited)
I believe they only make them in the standard calibers, ie; 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 44 Spl, 44-40, 38-40, 38 Spl, 32-20. You could take a 32-20 and have the cylinder sleeved to 32Np, or maybe have a cylinder made in that caliber.
Great idea. Where theres a will theres a way! Would the 32NP be pretty accurate in a 32-20 barrel? If I understand it correctly there is about .005 difference between the two bullets. Doesnt seem like much to me, but I'm no expert.

Somehow, I just can't see the Custom Shop running out and buying the reamers...
If they won't do it, it doesnt seem like it would be impossible for them to send it out to someone who does that kind of thing. That could start to get pricy though.

Ive shot a rifle with 32-20 and really liked it. Ive never shot it in a revolver though, and I wonder how it compares to 32NP? The price of 32-20 has always bugged me though. I dont like expensive calibers, and I dont reload. 32NP is pleasant to shoot, and pretty cheap from my limited experience...

#11 ·
Great idea. Where theres a will theres a way! Would the 32NP be pretty accurate in a 32-20 barrel? If I understand it correctly there is about .005 difference between the two bullets. Doesnt seem like much to me, but I'm no expert.

If they won't do it, it doesnt seem like it would be impossible for them to send it out to someone who does that kind of thing. That could start to get pricy though.

Ive shot a rifle with 32-20 and really liked it. Ive never shot it in a revolver though, and I wonder how it compares to 32NP? The price of 32-20 has always bugged me though. I dont like expensive calibers, and I dont reload. 32NP is pleasant to shoot, and pretty cheap from my limited experience...
No comparison between 32-20 & 32NP, the 32-20 is much more powerful, think of "38 Spl" or "32 Mag".
In the picture below; the 32-20 is at top, the 32 Mag in the middle, and the 32 S&W Long on the bottom:

Here is my S&W Hand Ejector 32-20 with it's factory fitted 32 Long extra cylinder:

Reactions: 11866
#12 · (Edited)
Got the official word back. Not possible at this time, possibly in the future. Ah well, its fun to think about.

Back to reality, do you guys who shoot 32-20's find them pleasurable to shoot? I think I liked the 32NP cause its such a mellow round, yet you still feel like you're shooting something.

#13 ·
Colt uses that 'possibly in the future' line an awful lot.

Maybe when they offer that caliber, they'll also be making personal jetpacks, as well.

A 7 1/2" Colt SAA in .32-20 is fun to shoot, and many hunters used them after the turn of the century.

Many more shooters down the line bought them and rebarrelled them in .45 Colt.

If you want 'pleasant to shoot' - get an SAA in .357 Magnum, and shoot .38 Special wadcutters - there's way more brass and loaded ammunition available.

#14 ·
I have a 5.5" 1st gen 32-20, and it's a real pleasure to shoot. I also think the 32-20 caliber adds a little cool/different factor. At my range you see very few single actions, and almost never a Colt SAA, add to that the 32-20, and it's always a conversation starter.

Best regards,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.