Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought this single action a couple of weeks and called for a factory letter and got the letter today.

Can you spot the discrepancy?

Click on the image to enlarge.

Text Line Document Paper Font Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

Reactions: LEO918

·
Premium Member
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does it have to do wih the nickel part?
Got it!

This gun is blue and the blue on it is as right as rain. Doing a little more research with the colt archive dept I found out that there were 3 45 x 4-3/4" nickel guns (factory letter says 3 guns of the same type were in the shipment with mine) along with 2 45 x 4-3/4" blue guns along with 2 41 colt x 4-3/4" blue guns all shipped the same day to the dealer in Omaha.

My theory is that the shipping clerk made a clerical error and wrote the wrong serial number on the wrong description and somewhere out there, there is a nickel 45 x 4-3/4 that is going to factory letter as blue!

·
Premium Member
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Edges are sharp and everything is square on the gun. I didn't take a picture of the barrel address but the markings are sharp as a tack.

Now, if this gun was a sheriff's model or appeared to be factory engraved and there was no mention of being ejectorless (if barrel length was listed over 4") or the engraving on the factory letter then it would tragic but in the case of this gun original finish is original finish and you see blue guns that get nickeled but you don't generally see nickled guns that get blued (let alone case hardened).

·
Premium Member
7,960 Posts
to your point about the nickel gun, I have to wonder if the owner of the nickel gun has a letter on it and thinking that is the best nickel over blue ever .

·
Premium Member
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
to your point about the nickel gun, I have to wonder if the owner of the nickel gun has a letter on it and thinking that is the best nickel over blue ever .
LOL.....who knows where the other gun may be....I didn't ask for actual serial numbers of the blued and nickled 45's x 4-3/4" but I'll tell you that one of the nicest nickeled black powder single actions I've ever seen lettered as blue and it was shipped to a W. B. Masterson, shipping address unlisted.

Reactions: what would you say
1 - 9 of 9 Posts