Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought this gun, a first yr. o/p in .22 cal off gunbroker. gun was described as slightly out of time, normally a short hand and not too big a deal. can you spot the more serious problem?? gun was wearing these solid cast brass stocks which fit nicely but someone soldered the medallions on the out side giving it a "bug eyed" look. are these homemade?? stocks show slight nickle or silver plate in protected areas?? any thoughts?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Registered
12 Posts
Trigger too large for the Guard?? Looks like proper trigger pull has been compromised?? Consider this an uneducated newby guess as I've only owned one revolver,..and that was about 25 years ago. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good guess but not it,a clue is the wear on the cylinder.the photo is not very good but i think someone may guess it.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
In the photo the cylinder front looks rounded between flutes. Is that just the photo or is it wear from no b/c clearance. The ejector rod also looks a little short, but maybe that's just my eyes? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
502 Posts
Wrong or bent ejector rod head, probably dragging on bottom of barrel surface? Appears to have insufficient clearance..

·
Registered
400 Posts
I agree with Tommix, unless it's something else than I don't anymore.

/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Dave

·
Registered
794 Posts
The ejector rod head appears correct. So does the trigger. But the ejector rod does indeed appear to be bent and lacking the clearance with the barrel.

However I believe the ejector rod is the wrong one, as it looks way too short.

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Bolt dragging on the cylinder / rising too early?

[/ QUOTE ] weaggle got it,look carefully at the bolt leads, they are worn shiney.bolt timeing is way to early. who knows what i will find inside?? a shame too as the gun is 3 diget serial below 500. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Registered
502 Posts
The cylinder drag line in the photo does not appear inordinate for a 76 year old revolver, it is hard to imagine how many times it has been fired, dropped,improperly spun, and dry fired in those years. One would have to be quite a diagnostician to deduce that the appearance of that drag line is the cause of a timing problem. I would think that your initial thought, badly worn hand would most likely be the cause...

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
tommix,the e frame revolvers are timed to drop the bolt at the exact center of the bolt lead, i know the photo is poor but the leads are shiney to the point of wearing away the tool marks all the way to the pointed end. also pickup of the bolt is delayed i.e. not INSTANT, a sure sign the rebound is the problem.fitting the rebound is not something i look forward to.you cannot see the working surfaces and they are complex angles on a tiny scale. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
502 Posts
Thanks for the explanation, now it makes more sense, I did not realize that the leads were that badly worn, thought the picture was just a little fuzzy. Good luck with the restoration...

Bill

Now that I look some more, I can see how grossly worn the leads are, I'll take a C- on observation...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts