Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I recently inherited a 1949, 2nd gen. Match Target Woodsman. I want to disassemble it to clean/lube it before I take it to the range so I can experience the joy that is known as “The Woodsman” first hand, but I have a problem.

I cannot get the assembly lock to engage the recoil spring guide. The slide itself appears to travel all of the way back; it will lock open and pull back an additional 3/16” or so. When I turn the pistol upside down so that I can see into the slide, I can see that the tip of the assembly lock is still on top of recoil spring guide instead of just behind it where it can slide down and capture it. It appears that it need an extra 1/8” of travel in order to get into the proper position.

I am hoping that someone can let me know that I am making a noob mistake and help me correct it. If not, is there any way to safely disassemble the Woodsman without capturing the mainspring first.

Thanks,
Radar

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Radar, pretending your question about your Woodsman to be a "Jeopardy" question, the answer is:... Who are colt22dotcom and prewoodsman.
Those are the two guys, (and others), either one or both that will hopefully see your, jeopardy and chime in with an answer. Hang in there a bit. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
While waiting for prewoodsman’s reply I took one more look at the pistol. I realized that the assembly lock was slid forward by about 1/16 of an inch. I used my multipurpose took (aka screwdriver) to slide it back into the correct position and it can now catch the recoil assembly properly. I should now be able to follow the instructions that I found on colt22.com.

Thanks for your replies!

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
rtwood42, seems you may have your dis-assembly situation in hand now. Glad to know.
I also judge from just a few of your comments you already know your way around a Woodsman. :D

But even allowing for your already gained knowledge;...if I may suggest it; you would be well rewarded to follow through on the offer by prewoodsman for a phone call discussion about Colt Woodsman pistols.
I think he noted to me he got his first one, 53 years ago; still has it, and has better than several hundred thousand rounds down range.

The guy has a "head-full" of tips on Colt Woodsman, and the best part of it is; like so many on this forum he "ain't" stingy with his help. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rtwood42, seems you may have your dis-assembly situation in hand now. Glad to know.
I also judge from just a few of your comments you already know your way around a Woodsman. :D

But even allowing for your already gained knowledge;...if I may suggest it; you would be well rewarded to follow through on the offer by prewoodsman for a phone call discussion about Colt Woodsman pistols.
I think he noted to me he got his first one, 53 years ago; still has it, and has better than several hundred thousand rounds down range.

The guy has a "head-full" of tips on Colt Woodsman, and the best part of it is; like so many on this forum he "ain't" stingy with his help. :D
I was able to do a basic disassemble, clean lube, and reassembly. All of my knowledge about Woodsman pistols came from internet research, particularly www.colt22.com. I didn’t call prewoodsman, but we did exchange several emails. Among other information, prewoodsman pointed me to tricks of the trade that he wrote and are posted at http://www.colt22.com/repairs/index.html. These will definitely come in handy when I do a full takedown and cleaning soon. I have to say that it is refreshing to find someone who is so willing to share his time and knowledge without wanting anything in return!

BTW, I have been been a Ruger Mark II owner/shooter for many years. I love my 6 7/8” slabside. But a can’t wait to try out the Woodsman. I have heard nothing but good things about them. I have a tentative shooting expedition planned for Monday with a friend, but if I am still sick it will have to wait. One way or another I really want to shoot it next week! I will take a quick trip to the local indoor range if I have to!

Radar

1 - 8 of 8 Posts