Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why did they stop updating their web site? To charge me for the info? How many 1911A-1, series 80, Combat targets were made?

·
Registered
10,001 Posts
Colt's information comes primarily from Wilson's booklet on Colt Serial Numbers, and that was printed before your weapon.

They haven't updated anything and probably won't.

You might try Proofhouse - something may be there.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
According to the Blue Book Combat Targets were only made in 1997. There conspiracy to get your money resolved. A little research can go a long way. Have a great day.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,891 Posts
The public Colt serial number data bases end in 1985, with the main online version ending in 1978.
The new serial number look-up system on the Colt web site doesn't cover most newer guns and may be a work in progress that hasn't caught up yet.

There's no conspiracy to take your money. All you have to do to get a production year for a Colt is call Colt. They'll give you the production date over the phone for FREE.

No one but Colt knows how many of any model they made, and Colt, like most gun companies won't release that information.
So, only Colt knows for sure how many CT models were made and they won't say, even if they have that information in a form they can easily research.

·
Registered
140 Posts
dfariswheel, Why won't Colt release the production numbers of a particular model ? I had my Colt "presentation Grade" 1911 lettered but there was no information on the number made by Colt. when I asked brent (bjt72) about the number made he could not give me a straight answer other than there were a couple of of unfulfilled orders still in the custom shop at the time of my inquiry about a year ago. What's the reason for the BIG secret on amounts made, the collecting community certainly would like this type of info as well as the owners of said models.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
A lot of companies consider production information trade secrets that may be taken advantage of by competitors. Colt may be one of these and except for Colt Custom Shop orders most of the data is available with a little diligent research. Just because Colt won't tell you doesn't mean the info is totally unavailable. Also consider, that while Colt values their products collectability issue and the large loyal community involved, it is very small part of their business model. They are in business to make money and pay their stockholders, not provide esoteric information on a by individual request for little or no compensation.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just got a call from Paul at Colt. He said they don't keep records but that he saw one sold in the catalog in late 97 with a S/N of 4,500ish. He's pretty sure the number produced is 5,000 or less. Again, thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts