Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The barrel on my King Cobra is canted about 10 degreees to the right. I believe it came this way from the factory. What is involved in correcting the problem, and is it an expensive job? Would Colt fix it under warranty, even though I'm not the original owner?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much. Any idea how much a 'smith would charge to do this? Even if Colt would do the work for free, I'd still have to pay $100 for shipping there & back.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,677 Posts
This is likely a case of "Penny wise, Dollar foolish", since few if any local gunsmiths will have the correct barrel vise inserts or the all-critical frame wrench and Colt KC specific wrench inserts.

The problem is, many locals do not have the right tooling, even if they SAY they do, and attempt a fix with "expedient" tools.
Then too, most local gunsmiths are NOT pistolsmiths, and actually don't know the right way to correct this.

Too many locals would make up a set of barrel clamps from wood, and stick a hammer handle through the frame as a "wrench".
First, this is EXACTLY how you go about ruining a good gun.
This will either break, crack, or bend the frame.

Second, most locals will just try to tighten the barrel up to bring the front sight to top-dead-center, instead of properly resetting the barrel.
This will compression "dimple" the barrel and cause a tight spot at the barrel's rear, destroying accuracy.

In short, unless you've very luck to have a local who's one of the few, rare experts on COLT revolvers, you'll either get a obviously damaged gun back, along with excuses why it was the gun's fault, OR you'll wonder why your Colt no longer shoots good groups anymore.

Like the old joke "Frank, pay the two dollars", I strongly recommend sending your expensive Colt in to either Colt, or Pittsburgh Handgun Headquarters.

Also, I'd do some asking around about shipping, since $100 is a LOT more than other people are shipping pistols for.
Recently several people have reported shipping pistols at the following Methods/Prices:

UPS Overnight from California to New York--$62.00.

FedEx from PA to Kimber in New York--$50.00.

USPS from a FFL dealer in NC to a FFL Dealer in Texas--$20.00 (Note: to ship a pistol USPS it has to be a FFL deal to a FFL dealer). You could have your local dealer ship it for you.

UPS from Iowa to Ruger--$24.00.

FedEx AND UPS from PA to FL--$45.00

A FFL Dealer ships guns to gun companies for repair for his customers, his actual USPS cost per package--$8.50. He charges the customer $20.00.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. Shipping from my place to Colt is $60+ via UPS. Colt charges $30 for return shipping. If I have a local dealer ship it for me, Colt deals with them, and I become a 3rd party, which causes delays and possible miscommunications. I just went through this with a Python I had refinished.

I'll call Colt Monday morning, and see if they'll do anything for me, since it seem to have left the factory this way. If not, I've got a big hammer and a 2x4 (kidding). I've already got as much into the gun as I want, so if they won't fix it, I'll just put it in the safe, and let whoever ends up with it when I croak take care of it.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Tom, you can deal /ship direct to the factory for a repair, NO need for any "middle man". You just have to use the "next day air" type,carrier, UPS or Fed Ex...........

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Dan. I knew that. I'm just trying to save a few bucks, and not end up spending twice as much as the gun's worth on shipping and repairs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts