Colt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While on the subject of canteens, this was a fantastic idea, but unintended consequences. A glass/porcelain lined canteen would keep the water fresher without picking up the odor and smell of the metal, and could be made of steel saving aluminum for more important applications. Only problem was that if the canteen was dented it knocked off glass slivers inside the canteen. It was quickly discontinued.

·
Premium Member
5,597 Posts
While on the subject of canteens, this was a fantastic idea, but unintended consequences. A glass/porcelain lined canteen would keep the water fresher without picking up the odor and smell of the metal, and could be made of steel saving aluminum for more important applications. Only problem was that if the canteen was dented it knocked off glass slivers inside the canteen. It was quickly discontinued.

US Steel Company . Founded1901. Headquarters Pittsburgh, PA.

Yes, that glass liner might keep the contents cooler too. But breakage would be a problem.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
That reminds me of the Thermos bottles that used to come with steel lunchboxes of the 1950's and 1960's.
One more than one occasion I was sitting at my desk in school all ready for the baloney and cheese sandwich and hot Campell's chicken noodle soup that my mom had packed for me and when I poured some of the soup into the cup it was accompanied with glass shards because I had clobbered some other kid with my lunchbox while horsing around on the playground or something.

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Yeah...I went through more than a couple of those glass-lined thermos bottles in elementary school. Mom finally lost interest in buying a whole new Superman / Batman / Flintstones lunch boxes for just the thermos and I had to eat the school cafeteria lunches...good, bad or otherwise.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
This is a turn of the Century porcelain US Army cup
The Army cup you posted is not porcelain!

It is Graniteware.

Graniteware was a variation of enamelware, and was made with a speckled surface that resembled granite stone.

Reactions: Scottz63
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.