Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of older Colt revolvers coming in later this week. Both have the old black hard rubber stocks/grips.

A few quetions

1) What is a good substance for treating/cleaning these grips?
I was considering a leather softener/conditioner.
Suggestions?

2) How does one prevent damage?
I have noticed that it is almost de rigeur for the old grips to have a corner broken off. Is this due to a bad fit, or what?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
As far as cleaning,I would use only a mild soap and warm(NOT hot) water. A soft toothbrush will help clean the "checkering" etc. I don't really know how the "bakelite" or gutta percha would "react to anything "stronger".

I have always felt that the frequent broken corners are caused as much by a prior owner "overtightening the grip screw". Notice that most of the breaks are by the locating pin. Of course,some were "dropped"!

Bud

·
Registered
810 Posts
As 'Lonewolf' says for cleaning.
Also just as many or more get broken trying to "pry" them off the frame. They may stick to or around the pin and break off that front corner.
ALways carefully remove the one side, that has the threaded 'escutcheon'first ,and you can push on the screw after you have it threaded out ,almost to the inside of that grip and carefully push down on the screw and the grip will come of or at least enough to get a thin wedge under it and get as near to the bottom first, never start at the top, that's "prying". Then you can 'tap' the opposite grip off from the backside, again starting down towards the bottom and front.
Some of them grips could have been on for a LONG time! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

They also break from dropping, recoil (firing) and may have gotten cracked when first put on , not falling out for years or until something else "knocked" it off.
You will see cracks on them old grips , around the top edge, where it contacts the frame, around medalliond (if they have them ) and especially out from around the screw, because as said above "over tightening". Too may people take a screw driver and just "have" to go and tighten ALL the screws on their guns...................

1 - 4 of 4 Posts