Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a variety of Carry guns, fact all but a .22, I can Carry- I like whatever I shoot at the range to also be practical so I bought with that in mind

Basically, I'll either Carry a Colt Detective or Colt Cobra 38, nice, little, comfortable, easy and fast draw, I handle both well and accurately.

OR: I Carry a Sig 45 at about 46 oz loaded, or a Colt 1911 full size, same weight (it's in Colt repair now, second serious issue) or sometimes a great gun: Beretta 92 9mm, same weight, tad lighter than the Sig and Colt but feels quite light on the belt. With these I am pretty fast drawing and firing accurately. And I have it a set-up (shark-skin belt, Perry's suspenders, great Alessi holsters) so they carry fairly comfortably - but not like the snubs.

So, what do you think: smaller with more comfort and less power or big, less comfort, great power (45acp that is - the 9mm somewhat since it's out of full size barrel)?

·
Registered
436 Posts
I conceal a G19 IWB almost everywhere except work (gun free zone :mad:). I have concealed gov't model 1911's in the past. Ideally, I like to conceal a duty-sized (full-sized grip, high-capacity magazine, 4-5" barrel) firearm with a duty caliber (.38/9mm-.45ACP). Sometimes, though, I can't pull that off, so I carry a Ruger LCP during those times. It's only real advantage is its size and weight. It's not a whole lot. The trigger, magazine capacity, and sights suck, but it accomplishes the second rule of gunfighting when I cannot conceal a larger firearm. For me, "big, heavy, lotsa power" is ideal and "small, light, less power" carry is another tool with it's own appropriate set of circumstances.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I pack a 1911 or 2inch S&W66 . pack em around if it is not comfortable you will not tote it around and it will be no good. Better a small gun than no gun.

·
Premium Member
9,517 Posts
Any gun is better than no gun. If I could, I would carry my USAS-12 with its 20-round drum magazine in place, but, somehow it is not very concealable.

I have to be able to take off my suit jacket and not have a gun showing, so that relegates me to pocket carry. A Kahr P380 is the smallest and lightest gun with adequate defensive power available, so that is my breast pocket "pocket carry" piece. I balance the weight of the gun with a loaded extra magazine in the opposite side pocket. I have an "onion field insurance" NAA .22LR Mini-revolver in my front pants pocket. Close at hand in my brief case is a FNH FNP with 15 plus 1 rounds of .45ACP available. None are "quick draw," but they are the best I can do under the constraints imposed on me.

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
I have a variety of Carry guns, fact all but a .22, I can Carry- I like whatever I shoot at the range to also be practical so I bought with that in mind

Basically, I'll either Carry a Colt Detective or Colt Cobra 38, nice, little, comfortable, easy and fast draw, I handle both well and accurately.

OR: I Carry a Sig 45 at about 46 oz loaded, or a Colt 1911 full size, same weight (it's in Colt repair now, second serious issue) or sometimes a great gun: Beretta 92 9mm, same weight, tad lighter than the Sig and Colt but feels quite light on the belt. With these I am pretty fast drawing and firing accurately. And I have it a set-up (shark-skin belt, Perry's suspenders, great Alessi holsters) so they carry fairly comfortably - but not like the snubs.

So, what do you think: smaller with more comfort and less power or big, less comfort, great power (45acp that is - the 9mm somewhat since it's out of full size barrel)?

It's the perennial question.

What scenarios does one anticipate as probable? How does one manage situational awareness and or also, manage one's potential interfaces with or avoidances or elusions of, possible threat(s), and what kinds of threats are they?

Complicated...

I guess in theory and sometimes in practice, my favorite has always been a Colt Government Model .45.

In practice, a Six Shot .38 Special 'Snubby' has been my actual choice for a while now.

If we knew what we were going to be confronting, it would be easier to decide what to have handy!

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
I live in peaceful utah. Not bagdad or detroit. I have all the stages of handguns in my collection available, not that I need them. I aint no cherry either as I spent my 35 year career carrying them. I am not part of the group that thinks they have to have one in reach while in the shower. I generaly dont carry one downtown either. I do carry when I leave town or any road trip. Usualy just a old s&w model 40 in my pocket. I ride the trails a lot on our atv and usualy have a .44 special. I can go either way here as I have the permit and we also can open carry here. I NEVER see a suspected civilian open carry in town here (non leo). You do in the boonies. Any novelty wore off about 45 years ago.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I dont think anyone wakes up in the morning knowing that today they will be in an unpleasant situation, well those that are married maybe exempt, If we knew the fight was coming I am sure we would plan differently. I have tried Colt's original CCO, thought it would answer all my issues, not to mention prayers...it did not. Tried a XSE lightweight commander, more gun in hand, good to carry and with right gear easy to conceal...but...when I go to the BoX store for my bride, a 38 cobra rides in a front pocket holster or a 5 shot 442.
I know I am not tactical, I know that I am an overweight middle aged dad of two, that would like very much to make it home, in one piece with all the same holes I left with....I shoot often, not well but often. I hope that I have the insight, the edge to get the first move in. I hope I am not behind the eightball when the balloon goes up, cause there aint no cover or concealment there. So I try to pay attention, try to be alert, and mind my affairs...will this and my .38's be enough. dont know...but the search for that pistol, or revolver, the one that carries like a beretta 950 and hits like a .45 and recoils like a daisy...well it at least it's fun.

·
Registered
214 Posts
For daily carry (when I'm not going to work on the military installation), I stick with small, light, lesser power, since I know I'll always carry it. Summers are hot here in central Texas, and I find that I can't comfortably conceal a full size pistol or revolver. For me, this is an adequate level of preparedness for a "normal" day. If I knew I was headed for a gunfight, I'd bring a rifle AND a shotgun....the pistol would remain holstered...

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
I believe carry what you will carry.To me that is my Detective Specials or my COBRA 38 special.The 38 special has been good enough for the past hundred or so years with law enforcement so it is good enough for me.I do not consider that being undergunned....JMHO MIke

·
Registered
253 Posts
I only carry when I know I might confront a bad guy. Example; Hartford CT Public parking garge for an event. The only time I am on heightened alert is to and from the car. I carry a Taurus 38 Snubby model 85, if memory serves me well on the model #. Five .38 sp rounds.

My reasoning; If I am to confront a bad guy, it will be a close encounter. Likely no more than 5 - 10 yards....If five rounds can't take em down, then, anything else, is likely no good as well. The snubby is small confortable and fits my hand very comfortably. I used to carry a 380 Ruger but it was way too small for my hand. I would likely fumble with it before I even got a shot off. The only other carry is my six round Colt 38 PP, an old reliable.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Wifey and I are both "licensed" to carry concealed here in Ohio. She likes her S&W Lady Smith in .38 Special and it goes everywhere with her. I carry a Colt PPS (vintage 1922) with a shortened barrel, also in .38 Special. While I also have a Colt LW Officer's .45 ACP, I've found this to be a bit more difficult to conceal than the PPS.

I have a part-time job that I really enjoy and fortunately my employer requires us to carry a company-issued S&W M&P .40 cal. Such a peace of mind, knowing my boss has fully equipped and enabled me to defend myself if/when necesaary. I feel sorry for folks like GSO who have to disarm to work at a military installation (a "victim zone", a la the Ft. Hood murders of 2009.) And sorry for folks like me who had to disarm to work at the Post Office (retired in 2008). I had no choice but to park my vehicle off federal property. And then we have Fifth Third (5/3) Bank here in Ohio. 5/3 posted "No Weapons" signs on their doors in 2004 after Ohio restored our right to carry concealed. Since then they have been probably the hardest hit bank in Ohio in terms of armed robberies and hostage situations. So, as a precaution, they have employed uniformed, UNarmed guards at their facilities. That oughta do it, huh?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Ok, my bad. You are right. The first rule of gunfighting is don't get in one. Should have realized that.

"My very first pistol was a cap and ball Colt
Shoot as fast as lightnin' but it loads a might slow
It loads a mite slow and I soon found out
It can get you into trouble but it can't get you out"
-- Johnny Cash

·
Registered
63 Posts
I subscribe to the "something is better than nothing at all crowd." Although I would prefer to carry my Government model all the time I find my out more convenient to pocket carry my P3AT.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Country concealed carry a Model 629 Mtn Gun with hot 44 Spls. Town carry S&W 40c or a S&W 640 depending upon weather and situation.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I used to carry a 1911 all the time but did get tired of the size & weight. I tried several different "compact" semis and went to a .380 Beretta for a while, it's still a choice in my rotation because it's a nice pistol, but have also drifted back to a Cobra and a DS in .38spl with a couple of speed strips of extra ammo. Even in cargo shorts in the hot weather it rides fine in a pocket holster and it so light it's near perfect. If I am wearing my old M1 flight jacket the pocket holster just swaps into the left inside pocket.
Both the pocket holster or the SOB belt rig I use are easy for me to access and secure. The Cobra and DS are both accurate and fast for an follow up shots.
Yes, if I know trouble is probable I'd take a .44 or a .45 but if I KNOW trouble is probable I'm also taking a Galil and a 12 ga.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I carry a S&W Model 65, 3" barrel, mostly. It's loaded with Remington 158gr LSWCHP +P .38 Special. I also carry, on occasion a S&W Model 696, .44 Special; Colt DS Gen 3, S&W Model 325NG, and a Kimber Ultra Carry. Best adjective is that they're all "comforting".

1 - 20 of 22 Posts