Colt Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A thread here discusses knives as companions to carrying a gun. In the state of Tennessee, a knife with a blade in excess of 4" is deemed a lethal weapon. Exceptions are made for hunting and camping purposes, as to "intent to go armed."

But a recent case has caused law enforcement to publish the fact that the carry permit is a handgun carry permit and does not extend to the carrying of knives.

This applies to Tennessee only so far as I know.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I am curious why a blade length makes a difference. It is not the size of the blade that makes a knife lethal. It is how it used, and placement of the wounds on the body. People have been killed with pen knives, that cut major arteries and death from blood loss occurs. If a person has a permit to carry a gun, why would it make any difference if that person also was carrying a knife?

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Because they like to construct laws in such a way they have more flexibility to charge you with a crime if they desire to do so. For example you not only get charged with murder, they tack on armed criminal action, discharging a firearm within city limits, kidnapping, etc. The more stuff they can throw against the wall the more something is likely to stick. Tax code? If they make things clear then they have to abide by the law as well, the more confusing it is they can "interpret" it any way they want, for a free pass, or to railroad you
I am curious why a blade length makes a difference. It is not the size of the blade that makes a knife lethal. It is how it used, and placement of the wounds on the body. People have been killed with pen knives, that cut major arteries and death from blood loss occurs. If a person has a permit to carry a gun, why would it make any difference if that person also was carrying a knife?

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Because they like to construct laws in such a way they have more flexibility to charge you with a crime if they desire to do so. For example you not only get charged with murder, they tack on armed criminal action, discharging a firearm within city limits, kidnapping, etc. The more stuff they can throw against the wall the more something is likely to stick. Tax code? If they make things clear then they have to abide by the law as well, the more confusing it is they can "interpret" it any way they want, for a free pass, or to railroad you
that pretty much sums it up. politicians like to make it look like they're doing something so they can overreact over a single incident and legislate something to counter that incident at the detriment of common sense and personal freedom.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Some States, "CCW" means literally, that one is Licensed or Permitted to carry concealed, any sort of Weapon one happens to legally own.

Other States, what may be called "CCW" is really mis-termed, and is only a License or Permit to Carry a Firearm concealed...and should realy be called "Carry Concealed Firearm" or "CCF" instead of 'CCW'.

·
Registered
982 Posts
"CCW" means carry concealed weapon, right?
Ok, so if a blade is deemed to be a weapon you are licenced to carry it.
If not a weapon you dont need a licence to carry.
Seems cut and dried until you tap into the minds of those who would turn an law-abiding man into a criminal for their own devious reasons.
Just random thoughts of someone from a country where carrying knives is a legislated offence and freedom is history.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I don't think florida makes a distinction, anything goes I'm pretty sure

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
It is more BS to make criminals out of the lawabiding ,while doing nothing to stop real criminals. All in the name of civilization. We are living in a post constitutional America. The 2nd amendment states the right to keep and bear arms ,of which a knife is an "arm". The 4 inch blade length is used since that is the length over which it is thought by some to more easily reach vital organs. Of course ,I can prove otherwise. Much as in the manner in which a more than 10 round magazine makes a firearm more deadly. Then again on 9/11 ,boxcutters did the job. Some states have abandoned blade restrictions while others make them worse. I guess blade laws work ,because in prison ,no criminals have knives.

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
You know how stupid politicians are.
In N.J. hollow point ammo is banned for civilians. The elected/annointed ones don't realize (or care) that hollow points will many times prevent through and through shots that may ricochet or that if the bullet misses the target, the hollow point probably won't ricochet off a hard surface with enough energy left to kill innocent bystanders.

* as far as the great point about how "lawmakers" like to have flexibilty in laws, one of the worst examples I can think of is the trend of about 40 years, that when you lie to law enforcement it generates a separate self standing felony charge. I am not talking about perjury charges when a person lies under oath at a trial. I'm referring to pre trial charges. These are laws that come under pre indictment interrogations. It is completely sufficient for a prosecutor to mention a person on trial lied during the investigation, which if proved helps convict them of the primary charges. During a trial if a judge feels that a witness or defendant has perjured themselves he can add more penalties. This is the legal model that has worked well for hundreds of years in this country and I think if it isn't broke, don't "fix" it. I think it's just government hubris.
Like the goverment doesn't lie to us every day of the week? It's not admirable, but many folks will tell lies if they get jammed up. I strongly disagree with this specific type of law. Any other charges that were well investigated and
run by the prosecutors should be sufficient to move against somebody charged with a felony. It's like "how dare you lie to the government?"
We have a lot of honorable LEOs on this forum, you all have my respect, but we all know there are some cops who will also lie to keep charges sticking to an arrested person. I know this is a small minority of police. In general, all cops
have automatic respect from me, unless something specific happens to change that opinion.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Hi Malysh,

Yes...it is 'legal' for Media to lie to the public.

It is 'legal' for LEO to lie to a suspect during an interrogation in order to coerce a suspect into whatever position they want them to occupy, or for LEO to lie to the Press or TV Journalisists, or any time they are interfacing with the public and not under Oath.

I always had accepted, that much of the premise of the original platform of the aspirations of the United States, was the elimination, or at least, as much reduction as possible, of 'double standards'.

Of course, those who can exploit what for them are the advantages of 'double standards' tend to prefer imposing them, and, to resist giving them up, once they have them to wield...which was much of the basis for the Revolution, in the first place - to insist by well phrased ideology and follow through with deeds, that those who did wield them, do be persuaded to give them up.

But, it crept back in...insidiously, and under all sorts of sly pretexts and justifications.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
I don't think florida makes a distinction, anything goes I'm pretty sure
This is true. Florida issues what's called a "Concealed Weapons License" or CWL. Licensees may carry concealed not only a handgun, but knives, stun guns, tear gas guns and billie sticks (FS 790.06). I also have an Ohio license which is called a "Concealed Handgun License" (CHL) and is limited to handguns (ORC 2923.125).

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The State of Tennessee has a provision regarding carrying weapons "with intent to go armed."

The State Supreme Court has ruled that not every "removal (from the home or business) constitutes intent to go armed. Such cases as going to or from shooting ranges, gun shops, gun shows and the like, provided the firearm is not loaded, do not constitute intent to go armed. And, even if loaded (the firearm, not the shooter) there is still an excusable defense such as hunting or informal target shooting.

Another interesting point of Tennessee law, if a firearm is used in defense shooting, no other crime has occurred. That is, if a shooter has no carry permit, he cannot be charged with that charge.

An exception is a convicted felon in possession of a firearm, a Federal offense. A case in point, recently a man shot and killed a bank robber who had tried to hijack the defendent as he fled the bank. No charges were brought against the man by the State, but he was charged by the Federal law as a felon in possession of a firearm.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
337 Posts
One of our sons is a LEO in WI, and he says that any knife can be construed as a weapon. The intend and application the carrier put it to is what decides it.
-Harkrader

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I carry a 3.5 inch folder along with my carry gun. In Texas it is a "CHL" Concealed Handgun License. However the 3.5 inch folder is legal with or without the CHL. Different application different use.

·
Registered
361 Posts
In Oregon, we get a Concealed Handgun License. Pocket knives are legal. Assisted open and auto open knives are legal as long as they are not concealed. There is no definition of concealed in the law. Many people insist it means if it is clipped in your pocket and the clip is visible, it is not concealed. It is very ambiguous and left up to the discretion of law enforcement. If I cross the river to Washington, assisted open and auto open are illegal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A thread here discusses knives as companions to carrying a gun. In the state of Tennessee, a knife with a blade in excess of 4" is deemed a lethal weapon. Exceptions are made for hunting and camping purposes, as to "intent to go armed."

But a recent case has caused law enforcement to publish the fact that the carry permit is a handgun carry permit and does not extend to the carrying of knives.

This applies to Tennessee only so far as I know.

Bob Wright
Unless something has changed recently in North Carolina, it is the same here, except for blade length. I specifically went to the Sheriff's Office to inquire about the issue of blade length. It is apparently up to the discretion of the deputy as to whether the pocket knife is a weapon or not.

We also have a catchall charge "going about armed to the terror of the public" which covers guns, knives, or whatever.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts