Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m sure I’m beating a dead horse here but when do you decide to leave it in the safe ? I’ve got a 1976 nickel cobra that I threw a bobbed hammer in. It’s clean has two nicks but still very nice. Going by the cost of some of the new revolvers where do you draw the line ?

·
Registered
7,951 Posts
What line, you stated you changed the hammer right, so its not original anymore just another carry gun.
I have an AGENT that's still pretty nice, but it won't be on any use sitting in the safe
if the need arises

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What line, you stated you changed the hammer right, so its not original anymore just another carry gun.
I have an AGENT that's still pretty nice, but it won't be on any use sitting in the safe
if the need arises
I’ve got the original hammer. I couldn’t bring myself to bob that one. I guess it’s basically just another 5 or 600 dollar carry gun.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are NIB or otherwise collector grade, "for admiring", Colt revolvers.
Everything else, gets used for its intended purpose , IMHO.

A non-NIB 76 Cobra sounds like a super choice if need CCW.
Makes a lot of sense put that way.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Whatever I'm not using stays in the safe. "Using" means 3 around the house for quick access or carry & sometime one I have out to satisfy curiosity coming up from memory lane or Coltforum. When the weather gets good I'll be 94 & take my favorite out to 50 acres been in the family since 1914 & shoot --

Been in the family long time. It was a wreck I shot in the 1930s & gave TLC in the '90s ---->

·
Registered
7,951 Posts
I’ve got the original hammer. I couldn’t bring myself to bob that one. I guess it’s basically just another 5 or 600 dollar carry gun.
That's good, but unless its a really nice piece in the box use it. I have to agree that a replacement could be costly.
I have an Detective special that had seen some use that I carry, but I carry the AGENT also

·
Registered
10,825 Posts
In a previous life when I was a salesman on commission, I was given training in sales. I was taught that before recommending anything, you have to first "qualify" your customer...in this case the customer is yourself. You have to define the customer's true needs...lifestyle...physical size and weight...the climate and weather you need to carry in...the manner of dress for the activities you'll be participating in. You also need to factor in your personal preferences...revolver or self-loader...how much recoil can you handle and still be able to safely handle the handgun. Consider all your requirements and then decide which handgun best suits those needs as well as what holster design best gives a combination of concealability, ease of access and retention/safety then once you settle on what fits your needs best, that's the handgun to choose. If you don't already own one, purchase one.

There's also a recommendation I've heard that says you should dress for the handgun you carry...not the other way around. It makes sense but not always an option.

It sounds complicated but it's really not. When I was a law enforcement officer, for most of my years I was restricted to a revolver. I would occasionally carry a Python off-duty but far more often carried a Detective Special or Cobra. When I went to an agency that issued self-loading pistols I more often carried a Lightweight Commander. In each case it suited my needs. I wasn't out to stop crime in the street but for personal protection should the need arise...but I was also aware of the legal requirement that as a law enforcement officer I was obligated under state law to intervene to the best of my ability if a felony (not misdemeanor) occurred in my presence.

My needs were very clear and my choices applied to those needs. Your needs and the needs of anyone else might be very different. Define your needs and the rest comes pretty easy.

·
Registered
11,356 Posts
The presumption is that everyone likes exactly the same thing you do, and that just isn't true. I have a small collection of vintage duck decoys, but feel no urge to put them out to hunt over. True the decoys were originally made to hunt with, but when I can use cheap modern made decoys that are a few dollars a dozen and look more like a real duck why put out a vintage decoy worth several hundred?

A person buys a gun for their own reasons, which might not be the same as yours.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I don't keep anything in the safe unfired , wont own anything I'm afraid to carry and shoot . I have absolutely 0 use for a gun I won't shoot .

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
RHMC24, thanks for posting your family bible capture. My wife has been tracing my ancestors for years, and just the other day determined one came from the same county you mention, Antrim. And ended up in the mountains of North Carolina, as did most Scotch-Irish that century. I lived about 20 miles from the battleground of Guilford Courthouse, growing up.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yep ,carry the Colt hi-polish Custom shop Super 38 all the time. $1000 does not buy much in the way of good handguns today,so why not use the Colt's. That is what there made for!!

·
Registered
457 Posts
As an aside, I have a patient who was an avid hunter as a younger man. He did not have a pistol license in the state he resided (purposefully vague language). When he hunted, he carried a vintage 1860 Army on his hip!. The only person I have spoken to who used it as personal protection or backup! So, I guess carry what you want.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts