Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
cartridge box marking \"140 CO C AC \" ?

greetings from snowy new york , i need some assistance in deciphering the meaning of some stampings on a rock island cartridge box dated 1906 for a colt army. the box is stamped "140 CO C AC ", what unit does this stand for ??
please post a reply or email me direct, many thanks rj

·
Registered
573 Posts
Re: cartridge box marking \"140 CO C AC \" ?

RJ: Can you post a pic of the markings? That would help as the position and order of the lettering make a difference in deciphering unit markings. Charlie

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

no unfortuately i donot have a ditital camera but the markings are "140 CO C AC " with the spacing in between the letters this is stamped under the flap on the face of the pouch where the flap covers when hooked in place , i greatly appreciate all your help , rj

·
Registered
1,483 Posts

You dont say what "Colt Army" it is AND the caliber of the shells. In 1892,Army began to use the .38 Double Action,and this was the new standard. .45 Colt Single Actions were still around(Thank God!). I doubt if it is the rare wide rim .45 made for 1909 Colt New Service. Are the bullets lead?? or metal jacketed? Any cartridge collectors out there to help? Bud

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

the cartridge box is for the .38 long colt , light brown in color , holds 12 rounds very very tight abd not easy to get them in or out . it is marked on the back R.I.A. 1906 (rock island arsenal , T.C. and A.D.L.. inside under the flap parrel to where the cartridges are stored is the stamping " 140 CO C AC " and this what i would like to know what stands for, your help would be greatly appreciated , thank-you rj

·
Registered
573 Posts

RJ: The difficulty you are experiencing in getting a translation for the markings on your cartridge box is because they do not conform to the prescribed Army Regulations. The markings with dies or stencils of personal equipment is described in several Army manuals of the period. For example: "The company letter is stenciled between the regimental number and the soldier's number and is separated from them by a clear space....The regimental number is always stenciled to the left of or above the the company letter." (Description of the Infantry Equipment Model of 1910, p.31.) Your box markings are for Company C of the 140th Regiment (Infantry, Field Artillery, Coast Artillery, etc.) The AC marking is meaningless to me and does not conform to the prescribed system. In place of the AC there should be the number for the particular soldier in Company C to whom the box was issued. That is as far as I can go with this. I hope it is helpful to you. Charlie Flick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts