Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10,851 Posts
I watched it on TCM yesterday...saw that. Bogie seems to have been given Colts to use in many of his movies when a "gat" was required.

Reactions: krag96 and ei8ht

·
Registered
763 Posts
I watched it on TCM yesterday...saw that. Bogie seems to have been given Colts to use in many of his movies when a "gat" was required.
I read somewhere (probably here) that they did this because of his small size- so the audience member would see what looked like a full sized man carrying a full sized pistol. I don't know if it's true, though. Fantastic movie.

·
Registered
10,851 Posts
I read somewhere (probably here) that they did this because of his small size- so the audience member would see what looked like a full sized man carrying a full sized pistol. I don't know if it's true, though. Fantastic movie.

That makes sense. Bogie was pretty small...Ingrid Bergman was 2" taller than Bogie and he wore 4" lifts to appear taller than she.

Reactions: joehaber and ei8ht

·
Registered
106 Posts
As I recall, the Model M was the "cool" pistol in many movies of the '20s and '30s (which featured 'modern' guns). Gangster movies showed a lot of revolvers (and Thompson sub-machine guns, but that's a different rabbit hole) of various makes, but the head thug and nearly always the detective carried a Model M which would both unfailingly hit and incapacitate the villain.

"Algiers" (the older one with Charles Boyer) is one such movie.

Reactions: ei8ht and SHOOTER13

·
Premium Member
938 Posts
I watched it (for the "umteeth time") on TCM a couple of days ago and, in addition to the model M, it appeared that Ingrid was holding a nickel Detective Special when she pointed it at Rick in his apartment.

Reactions: SHOOTER13 and ei8ht

·
Registered
10,851 Posts
When one thinks about it, the Hollywood prop departments probably had only a few types of dummy or modified real firearms in inventory for films. These dummy guns would see a lot of use in many movies...whether historically accurate or not. The thought that physical size of the actors makes a lot of sense as well...many, if not most, male actors of the era were pretty small in physical stature...Bogie, Cagney, Alan Ladd and many others. Putting a New Service or 1911 in their hands would look out of proportion. Not all were as big as Duke, Gary Cooper, Gable or a few others. Besides...using smaller frame handguns also worked for actresses as well without looking too large.

Reactions: ei8ht

·
Registered
7,971 Posts
When one thinks about it, the Hollywood prop departments probably had only a few types of dummy or modified real firearms in inventory for films. These dummy guns would see a lot of use in many movies...whether historically accurate or not. The thought that physical size of the actors makes a lot of sense as well...many, if not most, male actors of the era were pretty small in physical stature...Bogie, Cagney, Alan Ladd and many others. Putting a New Service or 1911 in their hands would look out of proportion. Not all were as big as Duke, Gary Cooper, Gable or a few others. Besides...using smaller frame handguns also worked for actresses as well without looking too large.
Bogie uses a 1911 in Across the Pacific, and in Sahara.
I watched a Bogart movie a few days ago that I had DVR'ed, it was about Nazi "Fifth Columnists'" (spies), I cannot recall the title, but I did notice that Bogie was not the big of a person. I had never realized that before.

·
Registered
10,535 Posts
I watched it (for the "umteeth time") on TCM a couple of days ago and, in addition to the model M, it appeared that Ingrid was holding a nickel Detective Special when she pointed it at Rick in his apartment.
Actually that was some kind of top break. The movie gun database calls it an H&R but in my opinion it could be any of the many manufacturers of those guns back in the day. I don't think you ever get a clear enough shot of it in the movie to tell for sure which brand it is.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
"Louie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship"

.......as Rick and Capt. Renault walk off into the fog of the tarmac.

I think this movie has, or had at one time, 4-5 of the top 100 movie lines as compiled by whoever does that type of thing.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have seen Casablanca on TMC and DVR at home, but seeing on the big screen for the first time at a theater with real popcorn was very cool! Ben Mankiewicz had a preview before the show and he noted Casablanca is the number one of all time!!! FYI--they are having another showing at local theaters November 15. Take your wife or better half earn some brownie points and watch a cool old film.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts