Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Looks really great! Will they be given a protective coating against rust and wear using a 2400 Series Gun Kote clear coat?

Reactions: lounick

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would never put clear coat on these, the originals were not coated 100 years ago or today by the factory. The problem with a clear coat is
that if it flakes for some reason, it takes color with it. These have a light coat of sperm oil, just like th eoriginals wold have had. And, the surface
is hard, truly a case hardened, rather than just a case colored finish. Glad you all appreciate them. I wish I could advance Mr. Crashcup's services
to you all but he is very adamant about doing this only for yours truly.

P

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I would never put clear coat on these, the originals were not coated 100 years ago or today by the factory. The problem with a clear coat is
that if it flakes for some reason, it takes color with it. These have a light coat of sperm oil, just like th eoriginals wold have had. And, the surface
is hard, truly a case hardened, rather than just a case colored finish. Glad you all appreciate them. I wish I could advance Mr. Crashcup's services
to you all but he is very adamant about doing this only for yours truly.

P
I’ll pass on these anyway. As great as the look, I’d rather not get sperm oil on my hands unless it’s my own. Where’s it come from anyway? Actually I’d rather not know.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sperm oil was considered to be the finest lubricating oil on earth. It was made from the Sperm whale and has nothing to do with whale seamen. If you have some your lucky because I don't think you can get it anymore. But if you still feel a little puney go ahead and paint your guns with clear lacquer and get a tofu sandwich for lunch. If you own any original first or second generation Colts better put some gloves on. Just adding some humor. Dave you do good work.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ll pass on these anyway. As great as the look, I’d rather not get sperm oil on my hands unless it’s my own. Where’s it come from anyway? Actually I’d rather not know.
First it is actually not oil, although it feels like it. It's an ester, a body fluid from the Sperm Whale. The head of the whale had a large reservoir with gallons of the pure oil, and they would also render the blubber to get the oil. You can still buy this on Ebay occasionally as Brownell's sold it in the 60's and cans of it turn up. When whaling was outlawed in the US in the seventies, production stooped. Luberzol Corp in Willowick Ohio sold over a million gallons to the automotive industry. It made the best high performance lubrication known at the time, and that sometimes turns up on Ebay too. It brings up case color like no other product, and on older arms that have a dried coating of "varnish" that has yellowed out, well, that's old sperm oil, not varnish. Works as a fuel for lighting and candles, made virtually smoke less flames.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think those are perfect examples of what case color should look like.
I'd have to agree of course. As for the pattern coverage, I think a lot depends on the period of production and the fact that these frames were already hardened
once in the past. One in particular was still very hard during the resurfacing, but it turned out great. Yessir, Clyde knows what the heck he is doing, he's made a
study of it, and the results are as close to original as one can get. The only thing missing is water from the Connecticut river, and if you could find 50 gallons of that water from 1890, the process would be identical.

JP

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
I don't know who he is or why he wouldn't do this commercially, but they look great. It just shows "it can be done the old way", if you take the time.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
For what a new production SAA cost these days, these photos are examples of what I want the frames to look like instead. They’d probably be a couple grand more I reckon if they did. Some of the little Peacemaker 22’s from early 70’s are a little closer to that result, which is another reason I like them so much and a a much better price... just don’t have the case hardened hammers.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Sperm oil was considered to be the finest lubricating oil on earth. It was made from the Sperm whale and has nothing to do with whale seamen. If you have some your lucky because I don't think you can get it anymore. But if you still feel a little puney go ahead and paint your guns with clear lacquer and get a tofu sandwich for lunch. If you own any original first or second generation Colts better put some gloves on. Just adding some humor. Dave you do good work.
The oil is still used in certain Aerospace applications..... Shhhhhhhh

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
It was a joke. i do know what sperm whale oil is. And it sounds like you've got something against vegetarians, which is something I can't abide by. Not that I'm one, but the vast majority of animals I eat are, and I won't have anyone disparaging my food.

First it is actually not oil, although it feels like it. It's an ester, a body fluid from the Sperm Whale. The head of the whale had a large reservoir with gallons of the pure oil, and they would also render the blubber to get the oil. You can still buy this on Ebay occasionally as Brownell's sold it in the 60's and cans of it turn up. When whaling was outlawed in the US in the seventies, production stooped. Luberzol Corp in Willowick Ohio sold over a million gallons to the automotive industry. It made the best high performance lubrication known at the time, and that sometimes turns up on Ebay too. It brings up case color like no other product, and on older arms that have a dried coating of "varnish" that has yellowed out, well, that's old sperm oil, not varnish. Works as a fuel for lighting and candles, made virtually smoke less flames.
Ok so I didn't know that part of it. That is very interesting.

·
Premium Member
5,442 Posts
I'd have to agree of course. As for the pattern coverage, I think a lot depends on the period of production and the fact that these frames were already hardened
once in the past. One in particular was still very hard during the resurfacing, but it turned out great. Yessir, Clyde knows what the heck he is doing, he's made a
study of it, and the results are as close to original as one can get. The only thing missing is water from the Connecticut river, and if you could find 50 gallons of that water from 1890, the process would be identical.

JP
I have an SAA (1990s vintage) that doesn't have the nicest case colors. Is that something you'd be willing to take in and have Clyde redo?

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
In mentioning the orange color , Bill, you reminded me of some recent threads discussing the some of the latest SAA case colors where it appeared that the consensus was that there’s nothing wrong with the orangish..yellowish and greenish almost dominant color areas of the frame, just makes it unique .. and I doubt there is anything wrong.. I know very little about the process other than what the internet says whether be wrong or right,, but it doesn’t look desirable to me. I wouldn’t turn down a new SAA at the right price, but certainly JDPlower’s frames are what we more appreciate and seek.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts