Colt Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,255 Posts
In the past 8 months I have turned down two brand new Colt SAA's at my LGS at retail price (about $1799) because I did not like the case coloring on either one. I do not know when the case coloring 'went away' from what I like, but I do not plan to buy any of the new production SAA's. I realize that many members have high praise for these new SAA's, but I am not a fan of them, at all.
I wish the new SAA's frames from Colt could be produced to the quality level of the ones that Dave Lanara posted.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Sperm oil was considered to be the finest lubricating oil on earth. It was made from the Sperm whale and has nothing to do with whale seamen. If you have some your lucky because I don't think you can get it anymore. But if you still feel a little puney go ahead and paint your guns with clear lacquer and get a tofu sandwich for lunch. If you own any original first or second generation Colts better put some gloves on. Just adding some humor. Dave you do good work.
First it is actually not oil, although it feels like it. It's an ester, a body fluid from the Sperm Whale. The head of the whale had a large reservoir with gallons of the pure oil, and they would also render the blubber to get the oil. You can still buy this on Ebay occasionally as Brownell's sold it in the 60's and cans of it turn up. When whaling was outlawed in the US in the seventies, production stooped. Luberzol Corp in Willowick Ohio sold over a million gallons to the automotive industry. It made the best high performance lubrication known at the time, and that sometimes turns up on Ebay too. It brings up case color like no other product, and on older arms that have a dried coating of "varnish" that has yellowed out, well, that's old sperm oil, not varnish. Works as a fuel for lighting and candles, made virtually smoke less flames.
In the past 8 months I have turned down two brand new Colt SAA's at my LGS at retail price (about $1799) because I did not like the case coloring on either one. I do not know when the case coloring 'went away' from what I like, but I do not plan to buy any of the new production SAA's. I realize that many members have high praise for these new SAA's, but I am not a fan of them, at all.
I wish the new SAA's frames from Colt could be produced to the quality level of the ones that Dave Lanara posted.
It's my understanding that Turnbull is doing the case coloring now, so I suppose they are as much to blame as Colt for the colors and quality level you dislike.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts

If I weren’t at risk of being struck by lightning upon entering... I’d gather up the church choir to come together to shout a harmonious “Amen “

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
I could not get a definitive answer from Turnbulls if they currently do ALL SAA frames for Colt, but they have done them and Sam said the serial would be in their database for reference. So it wouldn’t be too tough to put the painting with the artist with a serial.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I could not get a definitive answer from Turnbulls if they currently do ALL SAA frames for Colt, but they have done them and Sam said the serial would be in their database for reference. So it wouldn’t be too tough to put the painting with the artist with a serial.
The custom shop manager recently told me that all the frames go to turnbull. Now he could have been referring to all of the custom shop frames, but that's not how I took his explanation of the process. I would be very curious to know the answer as well.

·
Premium Member
5,442 Posts
The custom shop manager recently told me that all the frames go to turnbull. Now he could have been referring to all of the custom shop frames, but that's not how I took his explanation of the process. I would be very curious to know the answer as well.
I'm guessing he meant the Custom Shop guns. The SAAs in the plastic cases have had some pretty bad case color over the past year. I believe the guns to which saintclair was referring are the plastic case guns.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Dave, absolutely gorgeous. Makes me sad I had mine done in nickel instead. Not gonna change my mind cause I love that old Colt just as it is, but for the next one... Now I just have to figure out which Colt to have redone. As most all of mine have been refinished at some point already the choice can be hard to make. I'll see you at OGCA in July with the money for the 44. Jeff G

·
Registered
532 Posts
I hope I didn't rain on anyones parade with the 2400 series Gun Kote mention. It is a process many shops use today, Turnbull, Standard, Cimarron, and other custom shops use. Like many things there will always be hold outs who refuse or chose to keep doing things like before. Yes there will always some bad experiences no one likes. So far I view SAA's with the striking colors and protective clear coat far superior at this time. Better holster wear and durability at this point. But KUDO's to the job on the SAA's posted here, but unfinished in my opinion at this time. At any rate, if one desires those SAA's and they see carry duty, it won't take much to send them off for the clear coat treatment.

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
Sperm oil is used as a lubricant in the Superchargers of GM Supercharged 3.8 L V 6 engines. The stuff has an odor you will never forget. I’m glad it was a joke ——-for being used on case hardened frames. Pete

Reactions: 29aholic

·
Registered
25 Posts
Great work! And the application of Sperm oil was something new to me. I have used it for many years as firearms lube, clocks, instruments etc. but never as a coating as described. Still have a supply bought up from Brownells before sale of it ceased. Was the key component of the special lube GM used for limited slip differentials for years until supply stopped.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
I'm sure beeswax mixed with a good petroleum, mineral, or seed oil would be almost as good as whale oil. My son works with bees, and gave me a jar of a mixture of beeswax and olive oil. It actually works great on organics like stag handled knifes, and wood. Ya never know....til you try.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Good ole pine tar cut with turpentine and linseed oil ,you can even use it like a mustard patch . Sorry , thought we were talking wooden boats.

Very nice looking frames , good on ya.

·
Premium Member
19,255 Posts
I'm guessing he meant the Custom Shop guns. The SAAs in the plastic cases have had some pretty bad case color over the past year. I believe the guns to which saintclair was referring are the plastic case guns.
Matt, Your assessment is correct! I have not seen a Custom Shop SAA of recent manufacture for sale in my area for several years.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts