Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a spot of casehardening that has worn and looks lighter than the rest of the frame. Anyone have any suggestions on a possible touch up that could be used to 'darken' the area? Cold blue that gives a 'brown' color would work perfectly but I don't know of such a thing.

I tried 'Plumb brown' on an extra screw I had lying around and to my surprise it removed the bluing and turned the screw pink (this was without heating). Definitely not a candidate.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
400 Posts
So you're saying that a handgun with pink screws and pink spots on the frame wouldn't fit in with your plan? I mean you could call it art afterwards and maybe get a grant from the NEA. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dave

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,686 Posts
That's one problem with color case hardened finishes.... It's really very delicate, and there is no "touch-up" for it.

Years ago, some makers actually coated the coloring with a thick coat of a varnish or lacquer to protect it.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,686 Posts
Probably.

I used to see some old guns with what looked like a slightly yellowed coat of some kind of varnish.

The truth is, if you use a gun the finish gets battered.
If you don't want the color casing to get worn, don't use it, and in fact don't allow sunlight to contact it, since that can fade the colors.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts