Colt Forum banner

61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
So when Bill Ruger perfected investment casting of frames, which model did he cast? I know the frames as cast are heavier and thicker in dimensions. BTW, Colt's forgings are made from 8xxxxxxx
8xxxxxxx?
Question: Do you know how Colts handles their CCH to prevent the 2nd/3rd gen frames from hardening through when quenching?

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Reviving an old thread from the dead... There were several questions here about which case hardening process Colt currently uses which I don't think were answered. Do they use bone and charcoal or chemical? I read somewhere recently that they use chemical and the colors on recent guns would seem to validate that though. Does anybody here know for sure? It makes me wonder if they started using chemical hardening since pulling this back in-house from Turnbull in 2015 or so.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Brand new right off the Colt production line. Looks like it's real CCH. It's in layaway jail now, but will be home soon.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
530 Posts
Standard Mfg did the CCH on Colt SAA frames for a period. They supposedly are not doing them now. A rep from Colt and a rep from Standard acknowledged this in the past year. I know Standard uses the bone and charcoal method.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Been searching and came across this thread. Seems as good as any of the others to ask a question.................I have a CCH Standard, very nice gun and impressed with the quality. However, I noticed and it annoys me a "bit of Material" It bugs me every time I look at it. I posted a pic and circled the area. I recently purchased the gun and sent an email to standard.......... here is my email and their reply. I have a Taylors and company which costs a third of the price and it is smooth. Is their response correct? If this is normal anyway to smooth it out? Thanks Scott

email

Hello,

I recently purchased this and there is an imperfection in the metal. I noticed this when I returned home. It took 6 weeks to get the gun and I thought I could live with this imperfection, however quality should be better and this should have been caught before it left the factory. Seems it was not sanded or blended before coloring. It is rough, raised bits of material. It is located on the top behind the cylinder. I have included a picture. Again, for the price this should be perfect as stated. I feel it should not have this blemish and would like it corrected. This is a brand new, unfired firearm. Thank you

Subject: Re: Imperfection on NEW SAA

Thank you it’s not a blemish that’s the Effect of the color case hardening thank you

·
Registered
474 Posts
Damn...talk about a 💩 "brush off" excuse...

What's the next step Jersey !?

That is what I thought.............especially after all the hype about their "Standards on Standard" So you would agree this is not normal for the process? I guess there is no next step other than to live with it and shoot it.....................

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
Yea Scott...not normal...especially on a two thousand + dollar firearm known for impeccable quality "standards" !!

Me...I would bump it to the next level...to their CEO if need be...and tell them to send you a pre-paid mailing label.

That is unacceptable...especially if it's a raised blemish !!

They wouldn't want me trash talkin' 'em on every forum I frequent... /🏴‍☠️

·
Registered
474 Posts
Yes...not normal...especially on a two thousand dollar firearm known for impeccable quality "standards" !!

Me...I would bump it to the next level...to their CEO if need be...and tell them to send you a pre-paid mailing label.

That is unacceptable...especially if it's a raised blemish !!

They wouldn't want me trash talkin' 'em on every forum I frequent... /🏴‍☠️

I agree.............It is raised, it is actual rough material.

·
Registered
474 Posts
'Nuff Said...

Standard Manufacturing Co. LLC
100 Burritt Street
New Britain, CT 06053

(860) 225-3401

[email protected]

Just spoke to them on the phone and kinda of a BS answer as well..........................."well sometimes"? So I asked to speak with someone else and they said the customer service department will respond to my 2nd email. We will see what happens.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Customer service everywhere is in the crapper right now. Hope you get a favorable response from Standard, although it should never had to have been escalated.

61 - 80 of 93 Posts