Colt Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
So when Bill Ruger perfected investment casting of frames, which model did he cast? I know the frames as cast are heavier and thicker in dimensions. BTW, Colt's forgings are made from 8xxxxxxx
8xxxxxxx?
Question: Do you know how Colts handles their CCH to prevent the 2nd/3rd gen frames from hardening through when quenching?

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Reviving an old thread from the dead... There were several questions here about which case hardening process Colt currently uses which I don't think were answered. Do they use bone and charcoal or chemical? I read somewhere recently that they use chemical and the colors on recent guns would seem to validate that though. Does anybody here know for sure? It makes me wonder if they started using chemical hardening since pulling this back in-house from Turnbull in 2015 or so.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Brand new right off the Colt production line. Looks like it's real CCH. It's in layaway jail now, but will be home soon.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
466 Posts
Standard Mfg did the CCH on Colt SAA frames for a period. They supposedly are not doing them now. A rep from Colt and a rep from Standard acknowledged this in the past year. I know Standard uses the bone and charcoal method.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts