Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going over some things I have collected over the years, I think I have enough extra item's to make up a case for my 1851 Navy. been thinking about getting another one of "Bill's cases's" and leave it open in my small computer room instead of the larger display case it's in now. what do you think ? Thanks. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Tranter,
What a great display, and two beautiful old Colts.
Yes I know, I have one of Bills cases's, perfect in every way, he is a real craftsman. here's the last one I got from him a few month's ago for my 1908 hammerless.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
New cases with old guns? Shop around at antique/thrift stores/yard sales. My friend has several nice cased sets. He finds old used antique boxes then has his box maker fabricate the interior. They look authentic, and are very attractive.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New cases with old guns? Shop around at antique/thrift stores/yard sales. My friend has several nice cased sets. He finds old used antique boxes then has his box maker fabricate the interior. They look authentic, and are very attractive.
johnh,
The older box's I have found are pretty much raged out and falling apart, plus if you fabricate the interior on the inside, then it's new with an old gun, right? could you post a few pic's of you friends cases's ?
I would love to have an org. Box, but the one's I have run upon are beyond repair or two costly to repair. some of the most historic guns of the old west are displayed in new display box's or case's.
Thin wooden box's just don't last that long, good idea though. :)

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Custer,
Thanks for reminding me about his "distressed case" , the one I got from Bill a few mo's ago was distressed, and look's great, and smell's great, not old and musty from the damp ages.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
johnh,
The older box's I have found are pretty much raged out and falling apart, plus if you fabricate the interior on the inside, then it's new with an old gun, right? could you post a few pic's of you friends cases's ?
I would love to have an org. Box, but the one's I have run upon are beyond repair or two costly to repair. some of the most historic guns of the old west are displayed in new display box's or case's.
Thin wooden box's just don't last that long, good idea though. :)
I see old jewelry boxes and silverware boxes frequently in my travels, in solid, beautiful aged condition. Ebay is full of them. Many antique wood boxes were extremely high quality and are still in excellent condition. They are of the same construction quality as antique Colt cases, or better. The interior can even be made from old cloth, clothing, blankets, etc. You would not be making an authentic Colt box of course. Just a box that is more authentic in appearance. No amount of "artificial aging" can match real age. My friend even had some made out of old books, using the covers and binding.
s-l1600 (2).jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts