Colt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine thinks that some rifles like certain manufacturers cases over others. We are testing this theory in my rifle. Using a load and bullet that the rifle shoots extremely will, we are using batches of different cases as our variable. So far our best groups are with PMC cases. Hornaday is a close second.

·
Registered
473 Posts
My experience would agree with your friend. I have a Savage Model 12 .223 LPVR (1 in 7 twist) that shoots my reloads (75 gr Hornady BTHP over 24 gr Varget) at 1/3 MOA with Hornady cases. That easily goes to 1/2 MOA with PPU cases. Federals are “ok” but it really loves the Hornady’s.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Some years ago I developed an extremely accurate load in a heavy barrel .30/06 starting with new Remington cases. Later, I decided to switch to Winchester cases, I had to develop an entirely different load, but it ended up shooting as good if not better than with Remington cases. In my opinion, change any component and you'll probably have to start from scratch to keep a good, safe, and accurate load.

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
One more in agreement, here. In very nearly 50 years of hand loading, as pointed out above, each and every component may cause a potential difference in a hand load.

Powder weight, probably more so than anything else. The type of powder, weight and type of bullet, primer, than case. Even case prep can change things - full length sizing vs neck sizing only, for example.

Likewise, using the same batch of reloads in different rifles can dramatically change results. Looking forward to hearing your final report. Caliber, data. :cool:

·
Premium Member
990 Posts

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
Any time you change a component the load will change...said many times and above...is true. Cases by manufacture and by lot are critical because the internal volume of the case results in a totally different pressure when ignited by a specific primer. It's simple physics. Case differences will occur within the same manufacturers different lots though they will be more similar than different manufacturers. People who shoot long range competition often separate cases by manufacturer and then weigh them each on a scale (after all prep is done) and cull out those that aren't close. In a real life example of ammunition use that is critical for accuracy where reloads are not allowed...LEO long riflemen on swat or HRT teams will zero in with one lot of issued ammo i.e. Federal Gold Medal Match. They will stay with that same lot of ammo until it is no longer available. Keep in mind that if they have to shoot, they are after a target that is 1"wide by 2" high if they can get it. The cervical spine, C1 to C3, is that target. Why? In hostage situations that is the only place one can hit that will turn off a human like flipping a switch. There is no simpathetic movement, trigger pull etc, as life just totally stops. Different lots of ammo will change the point of impact slightly and in some cases, different lots of ammo will have dramatically different accuracy. In reloading, one brand of cases for the load. Prep them and segregate them by weight. Then you will have your own best ammo.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Pistol cases are not rifle cases but remain similar.
I have re-loaded just about every 38special case made with little differentiation on accuracy. For pistols, its not the case that matters.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For those that are interested we have decided to use Hornaday cases for this .223 Savage Model 11 Heavy Barrel of mine. These consistently give sub one inch groups at 100 yards from the rifle bench rested.

·
Registered
473 Posts
For those that are interested we have decided to use Hornaday cases for this .223 Savage Model 11 Heavy Barrel of mine. These consistently give sub one inch groups at 100 yards from the rifle bench rested.
Good decision. As I posted earlier in this thread, my experience has been 1/3 MOA using Hornady brass in .223 rounds.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you think about it different cases have different size powder chambers, tighter chamber would equal more pressure. Some cases fair better then others over time. I myself have had the best luck with Norma cases.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey Devil Dog, great group my Savage is a Model 12 FV it also produce some very tight groups. Don’t take this as gospel, but i don’t belive Hornady makes their brass. From what i understand it made by Winchester

1 - 17 of 17 Posts