Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
No matter how well trained, the horse couldn't really like the gun being fired so close to its ears. They can be trained to deal with it and function but not to like it.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Those would look great as a bronze statue!
Do you mean like this?

Lt. Col. Wickliffe Draper established the Draper Armor Leadership Award in 1924 to competitively test the leadership of small cavalry units. The award is granted annually to the best troop or armor company in a unit based on criteria established by the unit’s division or regimental commander.

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
No matter how well trained, the horse couldn't really like the gun being fired so close to its ears. They can be trained to deal with it and function but not to like it.
And this isn't even considering the fact that the horse's hearing, was no doubt damaged to some extent during this process, (which some might think was a form of animal cruelty)! Yeah, I know, it's just a horse...:rolleyes:

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,609 Posts
I once read that during the Civil War and at various other times, largely untrained horses had to be used and there was a lot of excitement when pistol practice was done.

That Field Manual makes it clear that a cavalryman shooting his 1911 from the saddle was no unusual thing. They trained both horse and trooper to do it, and the troopers were expected to get deadly at it.

I read an account that took place in WWI when an American cavalry unit riding up to the front rode up on a German machine gun position, who opened fire.
The troopers drew their 1911 pistols and charged.
According to the account, the Germans died under a hail of .45 slugs.

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
The last cavalry charge by US troops was in the Philippines...early in WWII. Following that horses in the US military were ceremonial...with some very isolated uses otherwise. In the CBI (China-Burma-India) theater and Italy mules were used during the war as motorized vehicles were unavailable or impractical.

Then the Russian Cossacks on horseback were used against German tanks at Kursk...that took balls...very large balls.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
A little-remembered fact - the Polish cavalry charged German tanks at the start of WWII.

They were wiped out, but the Germans had never seen such gallantry.

Brave men, those...

Pre-WWII, the American Army continued to train horse-mounted Cavalrymen even as it mechanized - but they changed over to an all-mechanized force quickly, yet kept many traditions - like spurs and sabers for Cavalry units (as opposed to mere 'Armor' units) - they're the only element in the inventory allowed spurs, sabers and Stetsons, (and spur rests on the backs of their Dehner Cav Boots - which crank all of the DAT's, recognizable like the old Star Sapphire rings and Rolex watches of 'old' SF), and while said wear is intended for full-dress occasions, more than a few were worn operationally by the Scout helicopter pilots.

Like they say - 'Cavalry Is A State Of Mind...' but they also say - 'If You Ain't Cav...'

Move Out - Draw Fire.

Scouts Out!

·
Premium Member
20,522 Posts
In viewing the pictures that Rick posted, I suspect the horses became less concerned about the shooting as their hearing was lost from all the shooting occurring right at their ears.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Do you mean like this?

Lt. Col. Wickliffe Draper established the Draper Armor Leadership Award in 1924 to competitively test the leadership of small cavalry units. The award is granted annually to the best troop or armor company in a unit based on criteria established by the unit’s division or regimental commander.

Sorry, but that's just Bad Ass right there !!!

Thank You to ALL that Have Died and Served OUR Country !!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
The last cavalry charge by US troops was in the Philippines...early in WWII. Following that horses in the US military were ceremonial...with some very isolated uses otherwise. In the CBI (China-Burma-India) theater and Italy mules were used during the war as motorized vehicles were unavailable or impractical.

Then the Russian Cossacks on horseback were used against German tanks at Kursk...that took balls...very large balls.
I have a book called 'Lt. Ramsey's War' by Edwin Ramsey. It's about his time in the Philippines through WW2 in the Cavalry then as a guerrilla. I think he took part in that 'last charge' but it's been years since I read it.

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
When I was a mounted deputy, we trained with pistols all the time. We did not however need to learn how to charge, but rather shot from the side. I had a mustang mare named Lily. She could be a real b*tch, but she loved to play and was a pretty steady stead when I shot target practice. She had her share of quirks, one being she loved sheep, but she was terrified of any kind of cattle. We were in some riots at Michigan State when she got sliced, boy was she pissed. I grabbed the guy up, laid him across my saddle, too bad it did not have a horn, and cuffed him before he knew what happened. I passed him down to the ground troops to be hauled away. When they guy went to court for assault on a police officer, and was sentenced, he jumped up and said "What, for a F*cking Horse," so the judge give him an extra year, just for good measure.

·
Registered
735 Posts
11TH ACR Horse Detachment, Fort Irwin

In the Cavalry tradition, the 11TH Armored Calvary Regiment Horse Detachment hosted its Spring Stable Days, 14 May 2014. This mini documentary highlights the event.

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
I have enormous respect for mounted police and their capabilities. During a large demonstration the US Park Police saved our butts from being overrun by demonstrators and kept things from really getting out of hand.

I could tell a really funny story about a US Park Police horse and President Reagan at an official event on the National Mall with foreign dignitaries but it's slightly off color and would take some time.

Reactions: ei8ht and wolfcoln

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
A little-remembered fact - the Polish cavalry charged German tanks at the start of WWII.

They were wiped out, but the Germans had never seen such gallantry.

Brave men, those..."

Since my grandfather was born in Krakow I heard about this (and many other stories) as
a young lad. Thanks for posting.

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
Bruce you can send me an email, I am sure I would like to read it. I have all kind of funny tails, get it, horse tails, Oh wait we have to be talking about Colts, so it must be Colt tails.

I have enormous respect for mounted police and their capabilities. During a large demonstration the US Park Police saved our butts from being overrun by demonstrators and kept things from really getting out of hand.

I could tell a really funny story about a US Park Police horse and President Reagan at an official event on the National Mall with foreign dignitaries but it's slightly off color and would take some time.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts