Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to decide between several guns...would you go with a Colt magnum carry, a sw 325 pd in 45cal or a sw 340 pd in 357. Or if you have another recommend. Thanks.

·
Registered
265 Posts
imthduke,

I have both a Magnum Carry and a 340SC. The SC is the silver colored version of the PD. I bought the Colt with intentions of replacing my 649. The Colt was never as accurate as the 649 until I had Colt work on it. Now it's almost as accurate as the 649 but both have been replaced by the 340SC.

I bought the 340 because of the weight savings and it is now my "always" gun. It kicks like a mule but carries very easily in any holster I own, including pocket holster carry.

I've only seen and fondled the 325. It's so ugly it's cute. If I ever see one at a reasonable price, I'd consider buying it.

Personally, I like the Colt simply because I've always liked Colt better than Smith. I added a Colt hammer shroud and Mustang grips. The Smith 649 is the most accurate snub I've ever owned but it looks like a single hump camel.

The 340SC has a dull silver finish and I have to be careful cleaning it. As with all Smith Sc/Ti's, the finish is delicate.

If you are buying for carry purposes, the 340 is the easiest to carry, but the hardest to shoot. The Colt feels better in my hand but it's twice as heavy as the 340. It's more accurate than the 340, but not by much. The difference could be caused by the fierce recoil of the 340. I practice with it because I have to. It's not a plinker. The Colt is fun to shoot and has a much smoother action than the 340 or the 649.

If you want a shooter, get the Colt. If you want a light carry gun, and can handle the recoil, get the 340.

Prices for the Colt have gone up but I don't think they are as high as the 340's. The cheapest I ever saw for a NIB 340 was $540, advertised as a gun show special. I bought it. Most of them, here in Tucson, go for $600 or more.

I've seen Magnum Carry's going for $400 to $800 on web sites. I've never seen any for sale at local shops or shows, except for the one I bought NIB in `98. Local dealers have told me that they are hard to find.

John

[This message has been edited by JCM298A (edited 09-01-2004).]

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
You do know you are talking about 3 very different revolvers to choose from? Though they all are snub guns, the 325PD is a N-frame, the Magnum carry is a small framed steel revolver, and the 340PD is a small framed super light alloy revolver.
The 325PD would have to be a belt pistol unless you have extremely large pockets, but you still have to contend with it's girth. The Magnum Carry is more of a belt pistol because of it's weight, though plenty of people have carried Dick Specials in pockets (I just never could). It do pack the 6th round as an advantage. The 340PD is the only true pocket revolver of the 3 if you are looking for that option as it's extremely light, but carries just the 5 rounds of ammo.

What is your intended carry method? That would influence what to recommend.

[This message has been edited by Majic (edited 09-01-2004).]

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guess what I am asking is....which of these would be your choice....price being equal.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the 325PD and a 360PD (similar to the 340). No question that the J frame 360PD is my CCW choice due to it's extreme weight to firepower ratio.

The 325PD is just too big to carry in anything but a belt or shoulder holster. It is very light, but an N frame is a large gun. I bought mine because I thought it was cool, the end.

As everyone will tell you the J frame Scan/Ti magnume guns are just plainly painful to shoot. I usually practice with .38 special in my 360PD and end off the session with 10 rounds of 125 gr. .357 just to keep myself accustomed to the experience. In my view this is a face to face fighting gun and nothing else.

I am about to purchase a Colt Magnum Carry to add to my collection of Pythons. My intent is to keep it as a collector, but I have seen some shooters out there for about $500 in LNIB condition. Having never shot one I can't comment on how it stacks up here, but it will obviously been a lot heavier than the S&W PD series.

UD

1 - 5 of 5 Posts