Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here ever lost a piece shipped Certified priority mail? I'm waiting for a delivery of two nice Colts but after the package left the second city of record there has not been any trace for a week. The seller unfortunately sent it during the holiday so it has dropped of the radar screen. The PO says it could take weeks to find it. Comments?

JP

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
I hope it turns up soon. I once had a $17K Colt drop off the USPS Priority Mail tracking system for almost 10 days before it turned up at the recipients business. Talk about scary...

·
Registered
327 Posts
Last March I sent two postal money orders (each a few thousand dollars) certified priority mail and they got “lost”. Tracking info stated “in route to destination” for a few days. I went to the post office to inquire. I know the folks there well and they took me in the back and we looked thru their database. They could not locate and called the last sort facility they showed at to
check. No luck. I waited another 10 days and still nothing. They didn’t have much hope so I filed a missing report online which requires you to setup a user account and login with the usps online service. Within 3 days of filing this for each they were located and delivered. My post office said on occasion they have problems at sort facilities. One thing I did learn is that even tho postal money orders are “insured”, you have to pay a fee to get your money back and it can take months for the process. I am not even confident I would have ever recovered any of the money. Certified bank check are the only way I go now on the buying end of a deal. Maybe try creating an online user ID and file the claim. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I bought a S&W 22 jet cylinder off eBay a few years ago and it was sent either certified or registered. It took 3 weeks to travel less the 200 miles. Sometimes this stuff get locked up and the person in charge of the next transfer takes off for a week or two and nothing happens. The tracking is frozen and no info changes. The seller was good about it and ready to refund me but just about when we had given up it came up the lane. Last time I sent a gun out was To Mr Kopec. He has no FFL and I ended up sending it USPS Express for about 60.00. It got there overnight, coast to coast. It came back the same way and it was overnight again. Unless you have an FFL and are able to ship a gun legally then it does not matter how you ship it with USPS the insurance will never pay out. There is no easy nor good way to get a gun to John.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
It will probably show up. I have had instances where I was given a tracking number for a priority mail package that actually showed up 3 weeks later. There is not a lot that could be done other that keeping the shipper updated.
Good luck, I hope everything turns out well for you.

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
UPS "mis-sorted" a package containing a New Frontier 44 Spl i purchased in their Albuquerque facility.

I despise thieves.

·
Premium Member
7,823 Posts
Like others also mentioned, I have had USPS certified mail become lost for days. Several scenarios. False attempted deliveries to “wrong address listed”. I’ve watched the package tracking go backwards or sit still for days.
Like Snakegunner said, only thing you can do is keep the recipient updated. I made a purchase from a Colt Forum seller some years ago. Payment was lost around GA. He was moving to Missouri. It finally did work out- but they ended up sending the payment back to me first.. screwed that up too by sending the “certified mail” back to a small town about an hour away from me. This town doesn’t even have a stop light in it. How I knew this is because it was where I grew up. I thought that must have had something to do with it but the postmaster said Nope.. not at all. The sorter was also a mail deliverer and simply made a mistake sorting. Just sheer coincidence. They wanted to send it to my current residence the next day but I said NO. Just hold it- I’m on the way to get it . I got it in hand and overnight FedEx’ed it to the seller.
They all mess up. Human error.

Recently, my wife purchased a new cell phone just before Christmas. That new expensive iPhone. Verizon sent it signature required. We work so she had it hold at ups facility. They lost it AT THE UPS FACILITY. Yes they did. They called her on a Friday and said come get it. She got there and they looked for 30 min. Called her on Monday. Said they have it scanned in bin number X. Went there and An hour of looking ( and let her look too) and couldn’t find it. I couldn’t make this up. I personally think that one may have been stolen. They know when phones are released and probably know what’s in the box.
Took her a week and literally hours on the phone to get Verizon to send one to their Verizon store and hold it for her. They have an “investigative team” that covers the same ground over again looking for the phone, despite the 3 way calls with the local ups and knowing that ups lost it and she didn’t sign for it. She had to get ugly with them and then she finally got the phone.

Back to guns. I’ve had better luck with guns than phones. No guns lost. All payments eventually turned up.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Being an FFL dealer I ship through the USPS and usually use 2-3 day Priority mail. One day there was a new clerk and she seemed a little unsure of shipping a handgun and she suggested sending it "registered" as it was cheaper and more secure.
Well, I agreed and it took around 12 days for it to arrive. When I called to inquire about it I was told it is locked up all along the way at every station but it is NOT priority and can sit for days waiting to move.Maybe it is limited as who can unlock and sign for it along the way?
Bottom line is Registered mail is secure but extremely slow. You mentioned certified but I don't recall that being a shipping option on handguns. If Registered mail it will probably eventually show up.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I use USPS,with a 1508-for dealers as they are the only ones allowed to send handguns through PO. Priority most of the time but I do use Registered Priority several times a year for more expensive guns,so far no delay in shipping delivery and they arrive the same as just Priority.
USPS insurance is more expensive the FedEx (FedEx and UPS are the only way a unlicensed can ship handguns) but both do not pay insurance at all or at best with a fight. Many high volume dealers go with outside insurance or self insure.

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
I've had several payments get 'delayed' along the way and it's nerve wracking but they've always made it. I always send a payment USPS Priority and always on a Monday or Tuesday that usually insures that it'll get wherever it's going before the weekend and I avoid holidays like the plague. I use those big Priority envelopes thinking that they might not get 'lost' as easy. Avoid shipping anything at the end of the week. If getting a gun set to me, I've told sellers not to ship until the first of the week. Also I always notify the recipient when I've mailed payment and keep them posted on progress or give them the tracking number. As said above, Registered is safer but so slow you'll think that it's lost in some 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' govt warehouse. Paypal eliminates half the worry.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
UPS lost a holster from El Paso Saddlery. It never did show up! EPS did replace the holster! whew!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Anyone here ever lost a piece shipped Certified priority mail? I'm waiting for a delivery of two nice Colts but after the package left the second city of record there has not been any trace for a week. The seller unfortunately sent it during the holiday so it has dropped of the radar screen. The PO says it could take weeks to find it. Comments?

JP
I hope you find them.

I know FFL can ship through USPS, but as non FFL person, I ship through Fed EX. Rates are reasonable for two to three day delivery which is the same time range for the priority mail express. Also, with the Fed Ex shipping and doing a registered account, you get lower rates, and can email all the parties on each step. I forgo the shipping notification which is just label generation but start notices when the package is dropped off. Also, I pay for seller's shipping cost and send them a label on high priced pistols. Main thing about Fed Ex is you have to drop off at a corporate location and not the retail franchise owned stores. Also, when you have an account, they quit asking what's in the box. When you drop off at Fed Ex and they create the label, they know you are shipping to an FFL, and will ask you to declare contents. Also, Fed Ex has insurance coverage.

USPS lost a USPS Money Order in Priority Mail Envelope, took 2 1/2 months to get refund, plus I was charged a $6 search fee for the money order to start the refund process.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
I've shipped thousands of packages USPS over the years, I've found 99% of the time they get to there destination but once in a while for whatever reason the package gets re routed all over the place but will eventually get to destination

·
Registered
389 Posts
I hope you find them.

I know FFL can ship through USPS, but as non FFL person, I ship through Fed EX. Rates are reasonable for two to three day delivery which is the same time range for the priority mail express. Also, with the Fed Ex shipping and doing a registered account, you get lower rates, and can email all the parties on each step. I forgo the shipping notification which is just label generation but start notices when the package is dropped off. Also, I pay for seller's shipping cost and send them a label on high priced pistols. Main thing about Fed Ex is you have to drop off at a corporate location and not the retail franchise owned stores. Also, when you have an account, they quit asking what's in the box. When you drop off at Fed Ex and they create the label, they know you are shipping to an FFL, and will ask you to declare contents. Also, Fed Ex has insurance coverage.

USPS lost a USPS Money Order in Priority Mail Envelope, took 2 1/2 months to get refund, plus I was charged a $6 search fee for the money order to start the refund process.
With handguns both FedEx and UPS require overnight not 2 or 3 day-they don't pay on insurance claims either and not following the rules they set-due to theft issues will give them and easy out.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks gents, you have given me hope and better understanding. The rub here is that I offered the seller the use of my accounts of USPS, UPS and FED EX. He just ignored it and told me it went registered. Both of us have filed missing package claims, but from what I've read here and what my local postal investigator told me, it will take two or more weeks. Add that the PO used temps over the holidays and that the packages go into a locked bag that is signed for by each driver along the way, and it is not scanned, make a very slow and nerve wracking trip. If they show, I'll post photos. Thanks again all.

JP

·
Registered
89 Posts
Surprised they even let you file a claim this soon with registered. I've only used it a few times, but they let me know when I shipped that it would be awhile. I think it was over a week every time.

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
With handguns both FedEx and UPS require overnight not 2 or 3 day-they don't pay on insurance claims either and not following the rules they set-due to theft issues will give them and easy out.

UPS paid the insurance on my "mis-sorted" New Frontier.

·
Registered
389 Posts
UPS paid the insurance on my "mis-sorted" New Frontier.
You got lucky,and thats great !
Their first-like most shippers, and often ending response is to deny claim for whatever they can come up with,they used to farm out insurance claims to outside company.

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
I've used the USPS for 35 years with only one problem....... but it was HUGE! I shipped a $12,000.00 Martin D-45K (one of only 54 ever made) via prioroty mail. It went to a bulk mail processing center where the box...the hardshell case and the Martin were broken in half.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts