Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to forum and a new owner of a frontier six made in 1881. It is chambered in 44-40. I tried to load it today and the rounds wouldn’t go in. They got stuck about half way in. I took out the chamber and they fell right in. It looked like as I put the chamber pin all the way in it moves the chamber to the point they wouldn’t drop in. Is their a specific alignment for the chamber? Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Browns kid, I think you typed ,”chamber” when you meant cylinder. It is chambered for 44-40 in each of the six chambers in the cylinder, into which the cylinder pin is inserted. I’m new, too and make similar mistakes. Not to worry. These guys are great.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Two questions.
Are you using blackpowder or a blackpowder sub? 1881 would be proofed for blackpowder, not modern smokeless.
Are you cocking the hammer back to the second click? At that point, the cylinder should be able to rotate to allow alignment with the loading gate.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Two questions.
Are you using blackpowder or a blackpowder sub? 1881 would be proofed for blackpowder, not modern smokeless.
Are you cocking the hammer back to the second click? At that point, the cylinder should be able to rotate to allow alignment with the loading gate.
I’m using black powder. The cylinder rotates fine and seems to line up but it will not accept the round. It gets stuck. The round goes in perfect when the cylinder is removed but when the cyclinder pin is pushed in fully the xylinder seems to move and the round gets stuck.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Based on your somewhat confusing description, it sounds like it might be a headspace or end shake problem. With the cylinder installed in the frame, can you move it fore and aft? Sometime with these old SAAs, the ratchet can get beat up which can reduce headspace which might not allow the cylinder to rotate with a cartridge loaded in it.

You really need to post some pictures which might help clarify what you are trying to describe.

Best regards,

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m using black powder. The cylinder rotates fine and seems to line up but it will not accept the round. It gets stuck. The round goes in perfect when the cylinder is removed but when the cyclinder pin is pushed in fully the xylinder seems to move and the round gets stuck.
Based on your somewhat confusing description, it sounds like it might be a headspace or end shake problem. With the cylinder installed in the frame, can you move it fore and aft? Sometime with these old SAAs, the ratchet can get beat up which can reduce headspace which might not allow the cylinder to rotate with a cartridge loaded in it.

You really need to post some pictures which might help clarify what you are trying to describe.

Best regards,
This sounds like it is headed in the right direction.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This sounds like it is headed in the right direction. View attachment 723554
To me it seems like when I put the cylinder pin in all the way it moves the cylinder back toward the hammer to closely. It’s almost like something is not in straight alignment. Sorry I’m a real newbie to all of this if you can’t tell. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
Sounds like a mismatch of parts. Maybe a Mexican clone cylinder? Wrong generation cylinder? Very strange issue for sure.

·
Registered
122 Posts
does The cylinder have side to side play? If so, cartridge contact with the frame may be binding it in the chamber.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
does The cylinder have side to side play? If so, cartridge contact with the frame may be binding it in the chamber.
Maybe a little movement. What should I be looking for or check or do with that? It seems to go in fine if the cylinder pin nipple if you will is not directly pressing on the frame if that makes since.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe a little movement. What should I be looking for or check or do with that? It seems to go in fine if the cylinder pin nipple if you will is not directly pressing on the frame if that makes since.
Would it be ok to pull the cylinder pin out just a little to free it up? It would still go all the way through and go into the other side just below the hammer. Sorry for the lack of terminology here.

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
Would it be ok to pull the cylinder pin out just a little to free it up? It would still go all the way through and go into the other side just below the hammer. Sorry for the lack of terminology here.
Just searching but What happens when you remove the ejector tube assembly?

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
From your picture, the cartridge seems to be biding on the cut-out for the loading gate. Maybe the rims on your cartridges are a bit over sized. Push hard on one and see if it will finally go all the way in.
Also, to test this theory, remove your cylinder and load all the cylinders and then put the cylinder back in the frame with cylinder pin inserted. Now see if the ejector rod can push the cartridges out or if they bind on the frame cut-out.

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
Follow-on to previous post. If the cartridges cannot be ejected using the ejector rod, I suggest you use a piece of 200 grit emery paper and sand down the rims of each cartridge.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
From your picture, the cartridge seems to be biding on the cut-out for the loading gate. Maybe the rims on your cartridges are a bit over sized. Push hard on one and see if it will finally go all the way in.
Also, to test this theory, remove your cylinder and load all the cylinders and then put the cylinder back in the frame with cylinder pin inserted. Now see if the ejector rod can push the cartridges out or if they bind on the frame cut-out.
WHen the cylinder is removed they go in smoothly mid I put it back in and then put the cylinder pin all the way in it comes out but it’s tough. when the pin is slightly loose it works. Question is does the cylinder pin need to be flush.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
I agree. The rim looks too large. Try another brand of ammo. Are those reloads?

Reactions: Johnb
1 - 20 of 42 Posts