Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to buy a USMC Colt 1905 serial number 535. Seller is asking $3200. Looks like it may have been refinished due to the full gray vs high polish it should have (may just be patina) and the hammer having the same finish rather than being polished on the sides. I’m not sure about the assembly numbers, trying to get an answer from the seller. Any one have any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
I have the opportunity to buy a USMC Colt 1905 serial number 535. Seller is asking $3200. Looks like it may have been refinished due to the full gray vs high polish it should have (may just be patina) and the hammer having the same finish rather than being polished on the sides. I’m not sure about the assembly numbers, trying to get an answer from the seller. Any one have any thoughts?
Better pictures:

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Better pictures:
Hey English, saw it over on gunboards and thought I’d post here about it. Now I see that you already have an ad for it on here. I’m considering it but still not sure. Just spent a good chunk of change on another firearm a few weeks ago.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Hey English, saw it over on gunboards and thought I’d post here about it. Now I see that you already have an ad for it on here. I’m considering it but still not sure. Just spent a good chunk of change on another firearm a few weeks ago.
It's patina, but I want other people to comment......It came from a Colt collection of thirteen Colts......four Army.....four Navy...... and one Marine.....The rest National Guard marked Colts. All revolvers. The collector had very good taste! In my research, I've never seen a better one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's patina, but I want other people to comment......It came from a Colt collection of thirteen Colts......four Army.....four Navy...... and one Marine.....The rest National Guard marked Colts. All revolvers. The collector had very good taste! In my research, I've never seen a better one.
Yeah I would love to hear what others have to say. Definitely rare and interesting. Just saw a USMC Colt 1909 sell on gunbroker the other day, the owner lives nearby.

·
Premium Member
5,515 Posts
The military Model 1905 USMC is a pretty rare gun. According to author Robert Best (member COLTDAGUY), Colt manufactured 812 guns for the USMC between 1905 and 1909. The serial number is on the butt, and the assembly number is found on the cylinder latch, inside the crane, on the frame in the crane cut out, and on the inside face of the side plate. The assembly number does not match the serial number.

The polish where the barrel and frame meet looks to be original, with a faint hint of original blue. Although it appears someone restamped the vertical part of the "T" in the COLT roll mark over a gouge in the barrel, which is a little odd.

Colt also manufactured 926 civilian models of the 1905. Here is mine.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
The military Model 1905 USMC is a pretty rare gun. According to author Robert Best (member COLTDAGUY), Colt manufactured 812 guns for the USMC between 1905 and 1909. The serial number is on the butt, and the assembly number is found on the cylinder latch, inside the crane, on the frame in the crane cut out, and on the inside face of the side plate. The assembly number does not match the serial number.

The polish where the barrel and frame meet looks to be original, with a faint hint of original blue. Although it appears someone restamped the vertical part of the "T" in the COLT roll mark over a gouge in the barrel, which is a little odd.

Colt also manufactured 926 civilian models of the 1905. Here is mine.

There is no "re stamp" on the barrel with the T .....just a gouge mark on the T (If you look carefully), and just on the barrel not in the barrel. There's "nothing odd" about it. The serial number is the 535 which is the order of production 1 through 812.....It's not suppose to match assembly number......... The barrel itself is like glass. Credit to the Marines and the care they took to the functioning parts of their weapons. As far as the finish, of these pistols, they were used in tropical zones....Panama, Cuba, and the Phillipeans and I've never seen a nice 1905 Marine pistol. They were used!
Hopalong, Your Commercial Colt is very nice. A nice addition to any Colt collection.

·
Premium Member
5,515 Posts
There is no "re stamp" on the barrel with the T .....just a gouge mark on the T (If you look carefully), and just on the barrel not in the barrel. There's "nothing odd" about it. The serial number is the 535 which is the order of production 1 through 812.....It's not suppose to match assembly number......... The barrel itself is like glass. Credit to the Marines and the care they took to the functioning parts of their weapons. As far as the finish, of these pistols, they were used in tropical zones....Panama, Cuba, and the Phillipeans and I've never seen a nice 1905 Marine pistol. They were used!
Hopalong, Your Commercial Colt is very nice. A nice addition to any Colt collection.
Thank you, english. I stand corrected on the gouge. When I first looked at the photo, it appeared the gouge was under the "T", because the vertical line was so well formed. However, in reexamining the photo, I can see that the vertical line actually appears to be compressed by the gouge.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts