Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience polishing a matte stainless finish into a bright stainless finish? I have had little success so far. I have tried starting with sanding by hand using 600 then 1000 then 2000 grit backed by an eraser. I have also gently used a rotary tool with felt and compound (green & red) but with little luck at getting the mirror finish I am hoping for. Any guidance would be appreciated.

thanx

flanman

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Flanman, there is a thread on the Firing Line Forum (I googled your question) that addresses this. It looked to me as though it's a long, arduous process with lots of elbow grease involved deal. I'd be concerned with overdoing using power tools. My google was: "changing matte stainless to bright stainless finish on guns". Hope that points you in the right direction. That's going to be some project from all appearances ;)

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Hey Flanman. One of our Forum member (Playboy Penguin) has a good documentary series on Youtube about polishing. It is long and tedious but can be accomplished. I would advise against power tools as well. Back when I was into Hot Rods, I bought a nice set of Vintage Milodon Valve Covers for a Big Block Chevy, I wanted them polished so I got the wheel out and got some polishing compund at the auto parts supply. Bad move! I got the metal to hot in some places and it "Pulled" the metal. This occurs when you sit in one place for to long. I buy and sell close to 1000 firearms a year and out of them, probably 6 or 8 that come in have this very problem. It was a amateur polish job and they didn't know what they were doing.

One day I was surfing on Gunbroker and there was a ad there for a guy who polishes guns and he is a FFL dealer. I had a factory bright King Cobra that was hammered with light surface scratches so I decided I would give him a try. Colt wanted $300 and it would take 4 months total and this guy wanted $80 so I figured I was making a great move...Wrong Again! When the gun came back, it had many of these areas I refer to as "Pulled" metal. Unbelievable. I guess the top notch polishers that Colt use take some pride in what they are doing and really know what they are doing as well.

I would recommend checking out the youtube videos and see if that is something you might consider doing by hand. It sure sounds like you have plenty of patience if you sat and sanded the entire gun progressively with different grit paper. Get your Mothers out and make that baby shine! Post before and after pictures so we can admire your handy work.

Good Luck!

Keystone Arms

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Tools ??? YIKES !!!
Flanman, the 500 magnum pictured below was polished with a rag and some Mothers mag polish (paste). All done by hand. NO TOOLS.
Finish it up with some Flitz or Mothers Billet polish and you'll be blinded by the out come.
I posted several years ago here on how to do it. It's been a long time ago though.
If anyone can find my old ancient threads, A1A can.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Tools ??? YIKES !!!
Flanman, the 500 magnum pictured below was polished with a rag and some Mothers mag polish (paste). All done by hand. NO TOOLS.
Finish it up with some Flitz or Mothers Billet polish and you'll be blinded by the out come.
I posted several years ago here on how to do it. It's been a long time ago though.
If anyone can find my old ancient threads, A1A can.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)
Jeff, you have some great looking guns !!! Plus you take a hell of a photo !! Can you tell us about how many hours it took to get this result ??

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
GunKwazy thanx for the photos and the recs. as you predicted A1A had referenced your past post( years ago) and I will be buying some MOthers Mag as you suggest tomorrow.

thanx again
flanman

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
It all depends on how well the gun was machined in the first place.
I've done some that have taken an hour and have done some that took a lot longer.
I never really kept time.
The beauty of it is, you can keep going and going until you're happy with the results.
Also, from what I've found, it's much easier to clean the gun after it's been shot if it's polished.
Don't feel you're ruining the gun either.
I sold off a couple of my guns one time and all the ones I polished were the first one's that sold.
I even sold them for more than the matt finished guns.
So, set yourself up a TV tray, plop down in your favorite spot, kick on the tube and polish away while you're watching Top Shot.
Careful, the rags are going to be black. Don't try to wash them. Toss them out when you're done.
Old T-Shirts, Old socks anything clean and soft.

Good luck, Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Very nice Jeff! I sent a friend the You tube link I posted earlier in the thread and he used Mothers on a GP 100. I was astounded at the very impressive outcome. His six inch took about 4 hours total by hand with old sox and t-shirts as you mention.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I kind of gave everyone that schooling many years ago on several of the revolver forums that I chatted on.
Glad to see it's still going.
I actually was just going through my car products looking for something to clean one of my old stainless S&W revolvers.
I decided to just try the Mothers and was surprised at how well it actually worked.
I now use it to polish all kinds of parts on the cars, not just aluminum as I once thought.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
GunKwazy

Can I polish it enough so that all the scratches from the matte finish are gone or will there always be some that can be seen depending upon how it is hel in the light?

flanman

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Are they scratches or machine marks from production ?
How heavy are they ?
Most modern guns are finished pretty nice right out of the box and don't need too much work to massage them into a nice polished finish.
If you look closely at nickel guns you'll see fine scratches in the nickel.
You'll even see machine marks under the nickel in some cases.
Where's the before photos ?
Is the gun you're trying to polish in rough shape ?
Has it been abused ? Dropped ? Lets' see it.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
GunKwazy

Photos are not the same quality as yours but what I am tryng to show is the streaks in the matte finish that I want to polish out.

On the barrel it looks like something eroded the metal a little bit

I almost have the trigger guard to the level of polish I am hoping to obtain

flanman

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.